Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by jakeandelwood »

I know that the aviation industry seems to be immune to workplace laws but isn't it illegal for an employer to ask for money for a job?
---------- ADS -----------

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

lownslow wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:18 pm
PilotZum wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:14 pm If you don't wanna move up north go get your instructor rating and do that until you get 1500Hrs and Jazz will take ya!
Or, and this is crazy but hear me out, do move north for a year or two since that time is nothing when you’re in your early twenties. Come out of it as the interesting person at parties instead of just another miserable jackwad. Just sayin.
On point. Many people miss the point of going up north. A great rite of passage and some of the best times in my life!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If two years “up north” is such great training, someone should start an “Up North” diploma program, and charge $120k for the privilege of it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

PilotZum wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:14 pm If you don't wanna move up north go get your instructor rating and do that until you get 1500Hrs and Jazz will take ya!
Or, and this is crazy but hear me out, do move north for a year or two since that time is nothing when you’re in your early twenties. Come out of it as the interesting person at parties instead of just another miserable jackwad. Just sayin.
I'd love to throw bags for joe mcbryan in -30 and be barely able to afford rent

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

photofly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:31 am If two years “up north” is such great training, someone should start an “Up North” diploma program, and charge $120k for the privilege of it.
Canada is full of fucking idiots, my life was shit so yours should be too!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

vermont wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 am
I'd love to throw bags for joe mcbryan in -30 and be barely able to afford rent
Jokes on you. Made 55k my first year in YZF. Made 37k my first year at Jazz...5 years later.

Now tell me genius. How are you going to be able to afford housing in YYZ or YVR at roughly 42k-45k a year with a 150 000$ loan ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Some of the best memories of my flying career are from my years flying in the north.

Does that make me a fucking idiot vermont?

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

If a high school student asked me today what the best way to become an airline pilot was I would point them in this direction. There are lots of opinions on program like these, I certainly have mine but this is really about how to become a pilot today, not about how things were "back in my day." 3 or 4 years ago there was one set up between AC & GGN, those pilots are at AC now and are going to have great careers.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

High school students don't qualify.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

The north experiences were the best if my longish life, even the parts shared with ., in Armstrong, among others. If people won't do it, they lose. Life is there for the taking.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

vermont wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 am I'd love to throw bags for joe mcbryan in -30 and be barely able to afford rent
If that’s the only employment you can find then you’re not trying hard enough, but I bet you already know that.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The north experiences were the best if my longish life, even the parts shared with ., in Armstrong, among others. If people won't do it, they lose. Life is there for the taking.
There is no doubt I am an idiot ayseven even though I flew in the north many years ago I ended up making as much in eleven and a half days as a Jazz FO makes in their first year. :mrgreen:

That helps me deal with vermonts opinion I must be an idiot. :prayer:

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:56 am
There is no doubt I am an idiot ayseven even though I flew in the north many years ago I ended up making as much in eleven and a half days as a Jazz FO makes in their first year. :mrgreen:

That helps me deal with vermonts opinion I must be an idiot. :prayer:
Going to the north isn't idiotic, telling people they should accept shit wages and spend years not being a pilot for the chance to maybe eventually be on e is the idiotic part

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 am
Some of the best memories of my flying career are from my years flying in the north.

Does that make me a fucking idiot vermont?
Proving my point you are a pissy bunch.

Did you have a good time? Were people honest about the arrangement to you? (No bs about throwing bags for years or flying dangerous equipment?) finally do you think YOUR experience is possible today?

If you answered yes, then no that's not idiotic at all and there are lots of different kinds of flying!

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

lownslow wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 am
vermont wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 am I'd love to throw bags for joe mcbryan in -30 and be barely able to afford rent
If that’s the only employment you can find then you’re not trying hard enough, but I bet you already know that.
Sometimes people need jobs, if you got your CPL during the busy season when everyones already hired you might not be able to wait a few months until they need to hire people.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

If everyones’s take on pay is accurate at Jazz I made more on a C206/205 and ramping ( first job) than a first year Jazz FO.

From what I hear, the benefits package at Jazz are is second to none though which should count for something especially with a family. You’d need a second income for sure..

With this being said, depending on the northern town and the airline there’s far better pay alone to be had. I can’t see an overly amazing lifestyle on 35000/ year in YVR and having multiple legs on 15+ days a months. I could be wrong though..

Money isn’t everything but there is a thing called survival..

The company seems to be looking for Lower experience vs more experience. The Lower time guys won’t demand as much as the guys and gals with time.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

GhostRider6 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:47 pm If everyones’s take on pay is accurate at Jazz I made more on a C206/205 and ramping ( first job) than a first year Jazz FO.

From what I hear, the benefits package at Jazz are is second to none though which should count for something especially with a family. You’d need a second income for sure..

With this being said, depending on the northern town and the airline there’s far better pay alone to be had. I can’t see an overly amazing lifestyle on 35000/ year in YVR and having multiple legs on 15+ days a months. I could be wrong though..

The company seems to be looking for Lower experience vs more experience. The Lower time guys won’t demand as much as the guys and gals with time.
Jazz's benefit package may be 2nd to none in the aviation world buts it's the norm in other professions.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

jakeandelwood wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:13 pm
GhostRider6 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:47 pm If everyones’s take on pay is accurate at Jazz I made more on a C206/205 and ramping ( first job) than a first year Jazz FO.

Jazz's benefit package may be 2nd to none in the aviation world buts it's the norm in other professions.

100% agreed... I’m trying to be positive on avcanada and provide a plus/ - opinion. As opposed to all negative..easier said than done. :lol:

Still, with this being said even some government positions : EMS, fire and police are seeing their benefits cut.
But, their capacity for a livable wage usurps ours.

I have a friend who is a long time paramedic and Jazz’s benefits package blows theirs out of the water.

I do disagree with the P2F completely and what this will do to the industry. I also see no redeeming benefits to our industry from this P2F but when it comes to jazz as a company ( pay, P2F aside) there is some good points.

On the other hand, look at the pay for doctors, bus drivers, lawyers and psychologists. Many of these groups do have a college / commensurate pay/ benefits.

The whole college is an entirely different debate in itself.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Jazz has the best benefits package :rolleyes: So there I was the other day paying my food and rent with free massage coupons :mrgreen:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Yeah. Because everyone stays at the low end of the Jazz scale forever. Ramp a Cessna 206 or Buffalo Joes for the rest of your life. The money is so good. Or brag about your contract day rate that you can’t just pick up any time when you need to redo a roof. I hear real estate in YZF is cheap. So is cost of living.

Return to “General Comments”