Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Hello all, I have been following this thread for a few days now. I'm enlightened and a little disappointed. When I first seen the announcement from Jazz I was pretty excited. Not because I'm a kid of a rich parent, but a 38 year old guy who is rounding out 10 years of service (in the CAF on the ground) and hoping to finally pursue my dream of becoming a pilot. I gotta say I looked at this program as such an amazing opportunity for someone like me, someone who has paid some dues once or twice, maybe not in a cockpit, definitely on the ground and sometimes in the back of an aircraft, who would be bringing his own earned 100k. But after reading all the hatred about snot nosed kids and such you all have me second guessing it.

So.... honest opinion, attitudes aside, if I'm the guy your saddled with fresh out of the program is this the kind of welcome I could expect?
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

So.... honest opinion, attitudes aside, if I'm the guy your saddled with fresh out of the program is this the kind of welcome I could expect?
No.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

No, because you aren't the rich kid we're all scared of.

I have to ask though, why do you want to invest this much money into a crap paying job? A regular commercial license and multi-IFR will cost less and still get you a higher paying job if you're willing to leave a major city.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm Hello all, I have been following this thread for a few days now. I'm enlightened and a little disappointed. When I first seen the announcement from Jazz I was pretty excited. Not because I'm a kid of a rich parent, but a 38 year old guy who is rounding out 10 years of service (in the CAF on the ground) and hoping to finally pursue my dream of becoming a pilot. I gotta say I looked at this program as such an amazing opportunity for someone like me, someone who has paid some dues once or twice, maybe not in a cockpit, definitely on the ground and sometimes in the back of an aircraft, who would be bringing his own earned 100k. But after reading all the hatred about snot nosed kids and such you all have me second guessing it.

No you'd be welcomed with open arms. Jazz pilots are all generally very accepting. There's a few sour grapes here and there as in any industry. I'd say you're the exact type of person they would like to see in this program.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 pm I have to ask though, why do you want to invest this much money into a crap paying job? A regular commercial license and multi-IFR will cost less and still get you a higher paying job if you're willing to leave a major city.
It's not a done deal, I just seen the announcement and was a little excited. Honestly the other side of the coin is looking better to me more and more, the up North part that is, while reading this thread in between the trolling lol. I'm not currently in a major city, live on the army base still actually. I'm no stranger to the cold or hard work and I have always enjoyed sleeping outside or doing a patrol over being in the office. Plus my two favorite planes are the Twin Otter and the Dash 8 to be honest.

I showed some pictures to the wife last night of the landscape in Yellow Knife and Norman Wells and she was ready to move tomorrow.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Go to North Wright then. Go pound through your MIFR CPL in 10 months in Winnipeg and move.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

simplicity wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm Go to North Wright then. Go pound through your MIFR CPL in 10 months in Winnipeg and move.
Funny you should say that, I was just told that we are being posted and the wife and I both put Winnipeg as our preference.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm Go to North Wright then. Go pound through your MIFR CPL in 10 months in Winnipeg and move.
Funny you should say that, I was just told that we are being posted and the wife and I both put Winnipeg as our preference.
There ya go. Check out Harv's Air in Steinbach.

They are a go to flight school for people who want to fly year round and blast through everything in short order.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm Hello all, I have been following this thread for a few days now. I'm enlightened and a little disappointed. When I first seen the announcement from Jazz I was pretty excited. Not because I'm a kid of a rich parent, but a 38 year old guy who is rounding out 10 years of service (in the CAF on the ground) and hoping to finally pursue my dream of becoming a pilot. I gotta say I looked at this program as such an amazing opportunity for someone like me, someone who has paid some dues once or twice, maybe not in a cockpit, definitely on the ground and sometimes in the back of an aircraft, who would be bringing his own earned 100k. But after reading all the hatred about snot nosed kids and such you all have me second guessing it.

No. The college kids are obvious to pickout. You aren’t a college kid .. you have life experience, maturity and people skills and have come from a professional career. You’ve been around Aviation and you understand the chain of command. I’d fly with you any day given the choice. I still do think 705 is a place for higher time pilots ( I won’t budge on that)

We had a few college kids with 250 TT telling the seasoned pilots how they’d show them a thing or two from the books/ the CARs and their FTGU’s. I think this is the attitude I and others
Have a distaste for.

If you’re new to the game with lower time don’t don’t do what those guys did and you’ll be fine. I’m not perfect in the cockpit and I know that..nobody is .. it’s the people who don’t think they can screw up that kill people.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 pm I have to ask though, why do you want to invest this much money into a crap paying job? A regular commercial license and multi-IFR will cost less and still get you a higher paying job if you're willing to leave a major city.
It's not a done deal, I just seen the announcement and was a little excited. Honestly the other side of the coin is looking better to me more and more, the up North part that is, while reading this thread in between the trolling lol. I'm not currently in a major city, live on the army base still actually. I'm no stranger to the cold or hard work and I have always enjoyed sleeping outside or doing a patrol over being in the office. Plus my two favorite planes are the Twin Otter and the Dash 8 to be honest.

I showed some pictures to the wife last night of the landscape in Yellow Knife and Norman Wells and she was ready to move tomorrow.
The dash is great! Don’t be afraid to checkout whitehorse too. Good luck

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

vermont wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:10 pm
I WAS Pez wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:12 am Is this vermont guy for real? I mean, honestly. Must be some kind of a joke, though I don't quite get it...
Future jazz fo :)
Yeah, I'm still missing the punch line... Ok, back to lurking for me...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

GhostRider6 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:32 pm
TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm

The dash is great! Don’t be afraid to checkout whitehorse too. Good luck
Sounds like you are looking in the right direction. Again, Harvs Air will be a great cost effective and quick way to get the license and ratings done. Never had any complaints with pilots who trained there, so I'd guess the quality of training is good too. They even have some aerobatic stuff for a little time building fun!

Winnipeg is also home to Perimeter, they pay better than Jazz too. I'd caution you to chase lifestyle over airplanes. Yes the Dash 8 is a great airplane, but so is the ATR and King Air/1900. It's called "shiny jet syndrome" (can't believe I'm saying that about the Dash, haha). Pretty much everyone from Saskatoon to the Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean flies a mixed fleet with the Dash 8/ATR at the top. First Air/Canadian North even have old 737s. Alberta is economically hurting, so not many jobs available. BC companies pay crap with a high cost of living

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Oh come on perimeter in no way pays better than Jazz. First year is still sub 30K.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

C-GGGQ wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 am Oh come on perimeter in no way pays better than Jazz. First year is still sub 30K.
And for most people it's not like you can live at home vs with jazz. I don't think they even pay for relocation.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Ah yes, Living in your parents basement while your instagram shows pics of you posing beside the maple leaf on your Dash 8 tail! At least you can tell people that you fly an “Air Canada” plane!

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:55 am Ah yes, Living in your parents basement while your instagram shows pics of you posing beside the maple leaf on your Dash 8 tail! At least you can tell people that you fly an “Air Canada” plane!
You people will bitch about ANYTHING!

Damn kids not valuing money, damn kids trying to save money and live at home bunch of losers!

What's the right thing to do, go to permiter and works as PIW for $25k a year hoping to get a shot flying? I'm all ears for your totally thought out plan!

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Actually my post was meant to highlight the sad state of airine pay in canada. A new pilot at AC or it’s regionals shouldn’t need to live in their parents basement. A failed immigration policy that has contributed to insane housing prices also doesn’t help.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

The housing affordability crisis affects more than just new-hire pilots. It affects virtually everyone that does not have a foothold in the Toronto and Vancouver markets. It's a national disgrace.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:35 pm Actually my post was meant to highlight the sad state of airine pay in canada. A new pilot at AC or it’s regionals shouldn’t need to live in their parents basement. A failed immigration policy that has contributed to insane housing prices also doesn’t help.
Oh sorry, trying to shake the tone most people here are giving out. Yeah it's pathetic FO's in a 777 in Canada make less than people who fly metros in the US

Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

Holy cow! Here we got the Greta Thunberg of pilot fatigue and salaries! So passionate. "How dare you?!" 😅 Settle down Vermont. You are going around in circles with your posts. We get it. You are the future gift to aviation. Maybe get your first 250 hours and struggle to get a job before you keep coming on here complaining about the state of the industry you haven't even gotten into yet. OmG

Return to “General Comments”