Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Braun »

Honest question, are there any good very low hour pilots or do you feel that you are always « babysitting »?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Inverted2
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Inverted2 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 am
KenoraPilot wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 pm


What a mistake that is...

We need a shortage of guys with ATPL’s to drive wages up in the industry.

The company will just hire DEC and/or use the clause in the contract that allows the company to force FO's that have ATPL's into CA seats (with no choice on base and type). Helping out our members attain their ATPL's is the mandate of ALPA. If you think a shortage of ATPL's will force up wages.......you haven't been paying attention
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit. Encore is having a hard enough time attracting DECs, that’s exactly what’s needed at Jazz too. The PICUS program at jazz has always been a joke, just surprised that the union is continuing to make it one of their “top priorities” when it a shortage of qualified captains would actually be a benefit for us all.
Because when management says jump our union says how high?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5063
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Rowdy »

The expansion of the PICUS program is a hard sell for me. It solely benefits the company if they don't have to pay LTC's to move their low time, NON ATPL pilots into the left seat or help them off to AC. I'm also heavily against any P2F scheme like the jazz approach. I'm also not a fan of the pathways program.

KP, do you know if there is going to be a pay incentive for the captains who agree to doing PICUS?
---------- ADS -----------
  

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by vermont »

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 am
The expansion of the PICUS program is a hard sell for me. It solely benefits the company if they don't have to pay LTC's to move their low time, NON ATPL pilots into the left seat or help them off to AC. I'm also heavily against any P2F scheme like the jazz approach. I'm also not a fan of the pathways program.

KP, do you know if there is going to be a pay incentive for the captains who agree to doing PICUS?
What's the issue with pathways? Low experience or something else?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 808
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by KenoraPilot »

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 am
The expansion of the PICUS program is a hard sell for me. It solely benefits the company if they don't have to pay LTC's to move their low time, NON ATPL pilots into the left seat or help them off to AC. I'm also heavily against any P2F scheme like the jazz approach. I'm also not a fan of the pathways program.

KP, do you know if there is going to be a pay incentive for the captains who agree to doing PICUS?
Hey, I do not believe there is a pay incentive, the incentive is to support and help the ALPA membership pilots further their careers and attain their ATPLs. Yes it does help the company, but it also really helps the FO's who are struggling to find the hours for their ATPL. Why shouldn't we assist them?
---------- ADS -----------
  

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am
Location: Terminal 4

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by rxl »

Braun wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Honest question, are there any good very low hour pilots or do you feel that you are always « babysitting »?
I have flown with many low timers over the last couple of years, and with very few exceptions they are very good at their jobs.
I do not feel at all like a baby sitter.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1831
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by goingnowherefast »

Free PICUS is a bit is a bit of a hard sell for me. Allows Jazz to continue hiring non-ATPL candidates. If they were forced to hire ATPL pilots, pay might go up for everybody.
---------- ADS -----------
  

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am
Location: Terminal 4

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by rxl »

goingnowherefast wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm
Free PICUS is a bit is a bit of a hard sell for me. Allows Jazz to continue hiring non-ATPL candidates. If they were forced to hire ATPL pilots, pay might go up for everybody.
I’m not sure what the difference is for an LTC doing line indoc vs. PICUS ... should be the same pay.
---------- ADS -----------
  

flyingcanuck
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by flyingcanuck »

rxl wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 pm
goingnowherefast wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm
Free PICUS is a bit is a bit of a hard sell for me. Allows Jazz to continue hiring non-ATPL candidates. If they were forced to hire ATPL pilots, pay might go up for everybody.
I’m not sure what the difference is for an LTC doing line indoc vs. PICUS ... should be the same pay.
Because PICUS you could have a 1+ year FO who knows what theyre doing vs a guy who has no clue?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Inverted2
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Inverted2 »

I don’t think there will be any non LTC captains signing up to do free PICUS.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Captain Kirkk
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Captain Kirkk »

Inverted2 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t think there will be any non LTC captains signing up to do free PICUS.
Captain Kirk will!

In all seriousness though, they’ll have more than enough guys volunteer. People want to help the young ones exit this dump
---------- ADS -----------
  

47north
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by 47north »

Captain Kirkk wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Inverted2 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t think there will be any non LTC captains signing up to do free PICUS.
Captain Kirk will!

In all seriousness though, they’ll have more than enough guys volunteer. People want to help the young ones exit this dump
Dump? Seriously? If you think it is that bad then please just leave. We don't need people like you around here.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ACboi
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by ACboi »

47north wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am
Captain Kirkk wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Inverted2 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t think there will be any non LTC captains signing up to do free PICUS.
Captain Kirk will!

In all seriousness though, they’ll have more than enough guys volunteer. People want to help the young ones exit this dump
Dump? Seriously? If you think it is that bad then please just leave. We don't need people like you around here.
Seriously? He/she can't voice his/her own freedom of expression? We don't need people like you around here.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Mr. re
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Mr. re »

47north wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am
Captain Kirkk wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Inverted2 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t think there will be any non LTC captains signing up to do free PICUS.
Captain Kirk will!

In all seriousness though, they’ll have more than enough guys volunteer. People want to help the young ones exit this dump
Dump? Seriously? If you think it is that bad then please just leave. We don't need people like you around here.
1+

Lol, frickin dump. Get outta here boys, save yourselves.
---------- ADS -----------
  

hithere
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by hithere »

Mr. re wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm
47north wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am
Captain Kirkk wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 pm


Captain Kirk will!

In all seriousness though, they’ll have more than enough guys volunteer. People want to help the young ones exit this dump
Dump? Seriously? If you think it is that bad then please just leave. We don't need people like you around here.
1+

Lol, frickin dump. Get outta here boys, save yourselves.

Capt Kirk,
We all know who you are, the same guy that posted a highly embarrassing(for you no less) YouTube video about(amount others)how much money you were making as a Captain at Jazz. Now all of sudden it’s a dump? WTF is your deal man?
---------- ADS -----------
  

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by skypirate88 »

hithere wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:09 pm
Mr. re wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm
47north wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am


Dump? Seriously? If you think it is that bad then please just leave. We don't need people like you around here.
1+

Lol, frickin dump. Get outta here boys, save yourselves.

Capt Kirk,
We all know who you are, the same guy that posted a highly embarrassing(for you no less) YouTube video about(amount others)how much money you were making as a Captain at Jazz. Now all of sudden it’s a dump? WTF is your deal man?

You clearly don't realize that there are 2 posters with similar names. Kirkk and Kirk. Kirk is the Jazz guy, Kirkk is a guy intentionally trying to get guys like yourself worked up.
---------- ADS -----------
  
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere

hithere
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by hithere »

Of course it’s entirely possible they are the same person with two different handles. It’s happened before
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: YEE 220 @ 4

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Canoehead »

Captain Kirkk

Just curious when you worked at Jazz?
---------- ADS -----------
  

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: right here

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Word around Jazz is that captianKirk (the mentor guy and youtube one) is going to mainline AC.It makes sense, considering that he's removed his "regional pilot pay" video. I wonder if he's gonna be financially better off, at approximately 50% less than what he was making at Jazz...good luck. Can't wait for your new batch of videos.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by Oxi »

genetic jack hammer wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 am
Word around Jazz is that captianKirk (the mentor guy and youtube one) is going to mainline AC.It makes sense, considering that he's removed his "regional pilot pay" video. I wonder if he's gonna be financially better off, at approximately 50% less than what he was making at Jazz...good luck. Can't wait for your new batch of videos.
If his AC training goes as well as his RJ upgrade he might be out of a job
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
daedalusx
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by daedalusx »

Oxi wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 am
genetic jack hammer wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 am
Word around Jazz is that captianKirk (the mentor guy and youtube one) is going to mainline AC.It makes sense, considering that he's removed his "regional pilot pay" video. I wonder if he's gonna be financially better off, at approximately 50% less than what he was making at Jazz...good luck. Can't wait for your new batch of videos.
If his AC training goes as well as his RJ upgrade he might be out of a job
Imagine being paired with the MENTOR on your initial sim...
---------- ADS -----------
  
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Clear of 27 on Delta

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by speedah »

Oh great.

Is he going to try to mentor people in the flight deck?

I thought the 10% would work!
---------- ADS -----------
  

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by vermont »

genetic jack hammer wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 am
Word around Jazz is that captianKirk (the mentor guy and youtube one) is going to mainline AC.It makes sense, considering that he's removed his "regional pilot pay" video. I wonder if he's gonna be financially better off, at approximately 50% less than what he was making at Jazz...good luck. Can't wait for your new batch of videos.
Link to the channel?
---------- ADS -----------
  

navajo_jay
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: YUL

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by navajo_jay »

---------- ADS -----------
  

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by losercruiser »

speedah wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 pm
Oh great.

Is he going to try to mentor people in the flight deck?

I thought the 10% would work!
Based on looking at the new hire bios from time to time and seeing some faces I hoped I'd never see again, the %10 certainly isn't working. In fact it's somehow working backwards as some of the best FOs I worked with there who are nice people and good pilots are being PFOd or told to reinterview.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”