Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by C-GGGQ »

Ok let's phrase this a better way. Everyone seems to be saying that working in challenging, minimally supervised roles up north with "no support" builds good decision making cause you've seen your share of emergencies etc. To me that says we do this completely backwards. New pilots should have to go to the safe, hand held world of 705 where dispatchers plan your flights. ATC is ever present, captains are there to mentor you through the trying situations that arrive. Then after a few thousand hours you're sent north (no PICUS allowed) with lots of experience to gain your PIC time and grow. Then you head back to airlines for captains slots (do away with seniority) as you are now a well rounded competent pilot who has in fact seen everything. Maybe these northern crashes of bush pilots and float planes we hear of all too often would be a thing of the past.
---------- ADS -----------

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

vermont wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 am
DonutHole wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:08 am
vermont wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24 pm

The only thing I"m learning here, is everyone has the @#$! you I suffered so you should as well mentality that's so common these days!
What you should be learning is that working up north flying in challenging vfr conditions, making the move to ifr on a small turbine and then moving to the airlines isn't 'suffering' it is learning your trade. I am not surprised to find entitled millenials love the idea of simply buying their way into a heavy. It isn't about "paying your dues" it is about learning how to make appropriate command decisions on your own in challenging circumstances and then translating that knowledge into the career in the airlines. Personally, If I could know which aircraft have these pay to play goofs at the helm I wouldn't get on.
I guess all those idiots at easyjet or lufthansa are dangerous idiots right? Give me evidence of what you're saying or I'll gladly ignore it
Go ahead and ignore it, I'll do the same for you.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:22 pm
When are you coming up this way again .?
I sold my motorhome a couple of years ago because I got fed up with driving long distances.

If I decided to fly up there I would have to decide if I want to fly on an airplane were one or maybe two of the pilots are the new generation of pay to get a job types...

.....so after thinking about it I don't like that choice....

....so that leaves either driving my car or taking the bus.

At least by taking a bus I am not risking the pay to get a driving job mindset. :mrgreen:

When are you coming south?
Me and my partner are working on some things for the island so hopefully some time after the new year. Have some pretty big things in the works. I'll shoot you a PM you would probably have some good insight for us.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Show of hands, even if vermont was ace pilot #1 in canada, would anyone want to share a cockpit with him given his attitude?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Me and my partner are working on some things for the island so hopefully some time after the new year. Have some pretty big things in the works. I'll shoot you a PM you would probably have some good insight for us.
Be happy to help in any way I can.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Show of hands, even if vermont was ace pilot #1 in canada, would anyone want to share a cockpit with him given his attitude?
I believe we are getting trolled, I just find it difficult to imagine he / she is a real person.

However if he / she is for real he / she would not be flying in any airplane I was PIC on more than one trip.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is the internet. You just NEVER know. Mind games from employers? Just have to watch what you say. I should follow my own advice.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

DonutHole wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:27 pm Show of hands, even if vermont was ace pilot #1 in canada, would anyone want to share a cockpit with him given his attitude?
What attitude are you going to expect from someone whose being told by people they hope I crash or my wife cheats on me. I doubt you'd be very nice to someone if told that in person?

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:07 pm
I believe we are getting trolled, I just find it difficult to imagine he / she is a real person.

However if he / she is for real he / she would not be flying in any airplane I was PIC on more than one trip.
I've been very kind to you but I guess that means very little .. Put yourself in my shoes, how would you feel if someone brought up your wife cheating on you?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Jesus Christ how many user names do you have on here?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm Ok let's phrase this a better way. Everyone seems to be saying that working in challenging, minimally supervised roles up north with "no support" builds good decision making cause you've seen your share of emergencies etc. To me that says we do this completely backwards. New pilots should have to go to the safe, hand held world of 705 where dispatchers plan your flights. ATC is ever present, captains are there to mentor you through the trying situations that arrive. Then after a few thousand hours you're sent north (no PICUS allowed) with lots of experience to gain your PIC time and grow. Then you head back to airlines for captains slots (do away with seniority) as you are now a well rounded competent pilot who has in fact seen everything. Maybe these northern crashes of bush pilots and float planes we hear of all too often would be a thing of the past.
Very true!
But we all know that things are working backwards in aviation.

Like becoming flight instructor at 250hrs or so...

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm Jesus Christ how many user names do you have on here?
Yeah I honestly can't tell if it's 1 angry guy trolling me :/

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Bitching aside, if I knew I'd have a job at Jazz for an extra $45,000 in training costs I'd have done it.

5 years of working shitty jobs for low pay or go to Jazz and upgrade in two years and got to AC.

I know what I would choose.

Ya'll are just bitter this wasn't available when you were starting out.

Most of the college hires I flew with when I was at Jazz were great. A couple years flying around in a -8 and they are more than capable of flying passengers around.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Most of the college hires I flew with when I was at Jazz were great. A couple years flying around in a -8 and they are more than capable of flying passengers around.

One would hope so.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Just speaking for myself, I am not the least bitter. I loved every single minute of it. That said, I was happy to return south when the seasons ended. Even Armstrong was fun. I would bet nobody ever said that.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Ya'll are just bitter this wasn't available when you were starting out.
Flying for Jazz is a subjective subject.

Personally I would bored out of my mind having to do that kind of flying every working day.

Looking back on all the different kinds of flying I did I am far from bitter, in fact I feel fortunate to have lived such an interesting life and having worked for some of the biggest companies in the world.

If I were starting out again I would choose to do the same thing.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Glad you enjoyed your career.

I enjoyed my time at Jazz and most certainly wasn't bored.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Maybe this is a stupid question but how will these pay for my job rich kids with 250 hours ever get their ATPLs? They will just be an FO at Jazz forever? How degrading.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm Maybe this is a stupid question but how will these pay for my job rich kids with 250 hours ever get their ATPLs? They will just be an FO at Jazz forever? How degrading.
No they won't be an FO forever. They'll do some PICUS, and perhaps rent a bit.

Jazz was giving short term LOAs out last year. I know more than a few people who went to fly 703/704 machines and get the PIC they required.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

simplicity wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 pm
jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm Maybe this is a stupid question but how will these pay for my job rich kids with 250 hours ever get their ATPLs? They will just be an FO at Jazz forever? How degrading.
No they won't be an FO forever. They'll do some PICUS, and perhaps rent a bit.

Jazz was giving short term LOAs out last year. I know more than a few people who went to fly 703/704 machines and get the PIC they required.
I see

Return to “General Comments”