Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CB40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by CB40 »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 pm
CB40 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:10 pm
I was just wondering if anyone was already hired through this program and what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Heard yesterday they have their 6, and are supposed to be taking another 6 in April.

Also heard that there is already some arguing going on with CAE program directors and Seneca about flight time priority.
Thanks a lot TwinOtterFan.

I’m gonna assume applicant/hiree ratio is very low as the program is new. Probably now is the right timing. Hopefully the selection process is straightforward.

Can you please explain what flight time priority is? A quick search didn’t reveal much. Sorry, sort of a noob here...
---------- ADS -----------

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

CB40 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:17 am
CB40 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:10 pm
I was just wondering if anyone was already hired through this program and what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Heard yesterday they have their 6, and are supposed to be taking another 6 in April.

Also heard that there is already some arguing going on with CAE program directors and Seneca about flight time priority.

I’m gonna assume applicant/hiree ratio is very low as the program is new. Probably now is the right timing. Hopefully the selection process is straightforward.

Can you please explain what flight time priority is? A quick search didn’t reveal much. Sorry, sort of a noob here...
They're using senecas planes. CAE is a huge company but too cheap/risk averse to buy a 300k 172 when they sell $15 million simulators.
Seneca has it's own flying program so who will get priority in those planes?

Their own students or CAE

CB40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CB40 »

vermont wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:06 am Seneca has it's own flying program so who will get priority in those planes?

Now that’s interesting :rolleyes:

And they didn’t think about this before signing the partnership haha.

Thanks for the explanation Vermont!

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

vermont wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:06 am
CB40 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:17 am

They're using senecas planes. CAE is a huge company but too cheap/risk averse to buy a 300k 172 when they sell $15 million simulators.
Seneca has it's own flying program so who will get priority in those planes?

+1 Nailed it!

Basically what I got told was CAE is doing the "selection process" at Jazz standards for Jazz. supplying the instructors and then utilizing Seneca's planes, but the flight time with the already full student load was not considered and preference will go to the actual college students and not CAE's. I looked into the program and decided to do it the old fashioned way. it suits me though.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I think anyone that has done training at CAE will agree that it's not that great a place.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Never worked with them personally, I just know they train a lot of our guys and gals.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am I think anyone that has done training at CAE will agree that it's not that great a place.
Any reason why? Assuming it's the typical Canadian, behind schedule overbooked, poorly managed trifecta dealing with companies here seems to be like

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

A lot of the instructors are just phoning it in. It's a part time job they do just for some extra income. I don't know how they are expected to know the SOPs of the dozens of companies they train for anyways.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Doesn't CAE run some flight schools elsewhere in the world? Cadet programs under JAA and maybe FAA parts of the world? Didn't really pay much attention as I didn't care.

I'd imagine Jazz is the cheap one in this story. CAE would happily do whatever training the customer wants to PAY for.

As for the quality of training. CAE will provide great simulators, but they don't work for your company and they don't know your SOPs, so set your expectations accordingly.

CB40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CB40 »

I wonder what's the fate of the 6 (or 12) guys/girls who got into the program. Anyone has a clue as to what happened to them? Bet they never got to see the inside of a Cessna cockpit :(

I honestly can't imagine anyone leaving a good job or paying $100K + upfront for flight training during the Covid pandemic.

To all the pilots at Jazz and elsewhere, hang in there!! Hopefully this nightmare ends soon...

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

very bad timing indeed,

aviation is timing, timing, timing and again timing

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Don't forget: all comes to those who wait. And while they are waiting, they rack up time any possible way. I am certain I could have had interviews with the biggies if I had hung in there years ago, but it was now or never on another career, and there by the grace of god, go I. Timing is the most important, but we are born in the era we are born in, and make the best of it, which usually does pay off. How would you liked to have been a part of the generation that went through 2 world wars, 1 major economic depression, and NO birth control! We, as a human race, are adaptable.

Maverick_FA-18F
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maverick_FA-18F »

CB40 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:20 pm

I wonder what's the fate of the 6 (or 12) guys/girls who got into the program. Anyone has a clue as to what happened to them? Bet they never got to see the inside of a Cessna cockpit :(

I honestly can't imagine anyone leaving a good job or paying $100K + upfront for flight training during the Covid pandemic.

To all the pilots at Jazz and elsewhere, hang in there!! Hopefully this nightmare ends soon...
The program is on hold due to COVID-19. Seneca still closed and I don’t think anybody started the program. I believe they are in the final interview process.

Mat | R6
Mehdi_isback
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mehdi_isback »

Yoohoo, Canada will become like Europe, where you have to be graduated from the "right" schools to get an interview, and you'll have the privilege to pay 30k€ for a type rating. If we want to save T&C, Canada must proceed like the FAA did, for example 500H or 1000H or 1500H required to become F/O on 705 operations.

Return to “General Comments”