Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by trey kule »

I have to wonder how big the pool is of diploma/degree graduates who have and want to pay $126k for a job.

Some solid pre program research? Or just some board room high fiving what they see as a great plan.
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Captain Kirkk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Approach

Post by Captain Kirkk »

So is Jazz officially a pay to fly airline? Cause another shithole airline, Lion Air, is a P2F and they seem to go off the runway every month, among other things.

This’ll end well...

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Captain Kirkk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:27 pm So is Jazz officially a pay to fly airline? Cause another shithole airline, Lion Air, is a P2F and they seem to go off the runway every month, among other things.

This’ll end well...

I thought you were all for it ? Unless I’m missing sing something you were talking about how it’s a “ win - win” for the industry?

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

This will be interesting to watch, Seneca can barely keep up with all the students they have.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

GhostRider6 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm
Captain Kirkk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:27 pm So is Jazz officially a pay to fly airline? Cause another shithole airline, Lion Air, is a P2F and they seem to go off the runway every month, among other things.

This’ll end well...

I thought you were all for it ? Unless I’m missing sing something you were talking about how it’s a “ win - win” for the industry?
I think you are mistaking Kirkk for Kirk. Haha

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

ant_321 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:09 pm
GhostRider6 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm

This’ll end well...

Hahah! Sh$&&! Kirkk if you aren’t Captain Kirk I’m sincerely sorry .. :smt008 :goodman: :prayer: :rolleyes:

I think you are mistaking Kirkk for Kirk. Haha

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

trey kule wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm I have to wonder how big the pool is of diploma/degree graduates who have and want to pay $126k for a job.

Some solid pre program research? Or just some board room high fiving what they see as a great plan.
I would say this program is targeting wealthy immigrant that come from India, China, or middle-east and already have a degree they get from Canada or their home country. They can pay the money and get the job without having to worry about navigating the Canadian aviation industry. They can take their experience at Jazz back to their home country, or to Air Canada with 90% acceptance rate.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 pm
trey kule wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm I have to wonder how big the pool is of diploma/degree graduates who have and want to pay $126k for a job.

I would say this program is targeting wealthy immigrant that come from India, China, or middle-east and already have a degree they get from Canada or their home country. They can pay the money and get the job without having to worry about navigating the Canadian aviation industry. They can take their experience at Jazz back to their home country, or to Air Canada with 90% acceptance rate.
Except they're handcuffed to Jazz for FIVE years! If they dont cut and run for an overseas gig..

I'm sure this will solidify the requirement for DEC.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

Embarrassing.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There was a program a few years back to train career FOs. Anybody know how that is working, or worked out? IIRC it was called a multi crew license or something along those lines.

I am not entirely certain this has been well thought out. And why would they be chained to Jazz for five years?

Accident speculation:
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

trey kule wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:00 pm There was a program a few years back to train career FOs. Anybody know how that is working, or worked out? IIRC it was called a multi crew license or something along those lines.
The Multi-Crew Licence (permanent FO) was announced a number of years back by Transport Canada, for god only knows what reason - well, I can guess that it has something to do with integrated program schools... - I can't actually recall if even one has been issued though.

I saw an article a few days ago where it stated CAE is firing up a MCL program for Volotea (some Euro airline), to train permanent FOs.

Here it is: https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases ... h-volotea/

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:20 pm Some of the college kids choose to stay at the northern operators. The first company to offer them a 100k a year. "Golden handcuffs" isn't it?

I guess this is a way for the candidate to pay for all the trainings and be handcuffed to Jazz...in the right seat. Sooner rather than later, DEC will come along to hire some northern captains and fly with the "jazz approach p2f kids"
A recipe for shock and awe in the flight deck.

Johnny767
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny767 »

A few short years ago PIlots were exploited by the General Aviation scumbags. Invest 100K in training and education and you too can be loading freight for Joe McBryan or dispatching for Ken Borek for a couple years. If you're a good little do-bee we'll get you checked out in the right seat.

Now Pilots might be stupid enough to get exploited by Seneca and Jazz, this time financially. Why on earth would anyone pay for a RJ Type Rating. Jazz may just as well put you on the Dash or the Q, even if they do put you on the RJ they will still be required to give you the full company course.

Ridiculous waste of money!

Think we see entitled little brats now, just wait for the Graduates of this program.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is just a little odd that the company is not ponying up the money for the people they will have on the hook for 5 years - like the military does, for example. If there was no 5 year catch, I would say it was a fair deal; with that little detail, less so... But hey downturns happen, and they are guaranteeing work for 5 years...

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

If you believe that guaranteed job in a downturn, you might want to review seniority numbers, furloughs, and the options an employer has with regard to bonds.

The whole bond thing puzzles me. Jazz has nothing invested in hiring these pilots, so other than initial training costs to an already rated pilot, I cant see they could demand a penalty for quitting.

In any event, I expect this program was maybe ill conceived, and will quietly go the way of the MCPL.

Last edited by trey kule on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Compared with doing a conventional CPL path, why would anyone do this instead of joining the RCAF instead??
While I look back very fondly on some the awesome jobs I've had in aviation, if I had it to do all over again I probably would have gone the military route.
This just sounds like a horrible time. Stuck doing SOP's in a 172 for the end goal of sitting in an RJ for 30k a year?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Captain Kirk is right though this time. Who goes through anything and ending up with a job guarantee? One of my old flight instructors told me something that always stuck with me, while I was doing my first IFR rating: Nobody owes you a job. Look, Jazz and regionals in general, are not finding the people they like, obviously. There is NO pilot shortage, but a shortage of the type of person THEY want. So this is a way to control the type of people they get.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Well, if you put it that way...

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

7ECA wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 pm
trey kule wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:00 pm There was a program a few years back to train career FOs. Anybody know how that is working, or worked out? IIRC it was called a multi crew license or something along those lines.
The Multi-Crew Licence (permanent FO) was announced a number of years back by Transport Canada, for god only knows what reason - well, I can guess that it has something to do with integrated program schools... - I can't actually recall if even one has been issued though.

I saw an article a few days ago where it stated CAE is firing up a MCL program for Volotea (some Euro airline), to train permanent FOs.

Here it is: https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases ... h-volotea/
You can still be a captain, the licence is for those restricted by medical conditions mostly.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

LegoMan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am Only rich kids will sign up for this, which means Jazz is in it for the money and not quality of candidates. Definitely lost respect for Jazz. I don't know if I would give my kid $126k to get a $40k a year job, sounds like a pretty terrible offer.
You'd be better off sending your kid to trade school to be an Electrician.

Return to “General Comments”