Bombardier to relocate its Global aircraft final assembly site

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Bombardier to relocate its Global aircraft final assembly site

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Bombardier to relocate its Global aircraft final assembly site

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Interesting choice considering how difficult it is becoming to operate GA aircraft from YYZ

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

You typed that faster than I could say it.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am Interesting choice considering how difficult it is becoming to operate GA aircraft from YYZ
Can't be any harder than trying to operate into or out of Downsview.

At least we get to see some pretty metal taxiing out occasionally.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I guess the one difference is they can schedule test/ delivery flights for the lull’s in traffic in Pearson when the GA guys probably just want to leave the same time as the sched rush.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Now the question is, with the Dash 8 400 program sold to DeHavilland Canada (Longview Aviation Capital), where will production of the Q400 be moved to, once the lease at Downsview is done in a few years ??

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

dhc# wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:51 am Now the question is, with the Dash 8 400 program sold to DeHavilland Canada (Longview Aviation Capital), where will production of the Q400 be moved to, once the lease at Downsview is done in a few years ??
This assumes there will be dash 8 production at that point in time. Not sure that's a valid assumption.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Hopefully they make a Q300ng and a Q400ng. Somebody's gotta compete with ATR. After this long, I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am Interesting choice considering how difficult it is becoming to operate GA aircraft from YYZ
Before signing the agreement with the GTAA to move and built their new factory at Pearson they surely made one of the conditions that any Global aircraft that needs to fly in and out of Pearson for flight testing can do so at anytime they wish.

You can't stop the factory from pumping out Globals which require flight testing at several stage of their completion for Pearson's traffic flow.

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Galaxy »

Are aircraft undergoing flight test subject to those exorbitant landing fees?

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Galaxy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 am Are aircraft undergoing flight test subject to those exorbitant landing fees?
LOL... I'm sure an agreement to that subject was one of the clauses in the contract.

Was just there twice this week and for a Global 5000 the landing fee is $790.02 (before taxes)... I'm sure they are going to get a big break on that fee if they pay any at all.

Last edited by Jet Jockey on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Jet Jockey wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:25 pm
Galaxy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 am Are aircraft undergoing flight test subject to those exorbitant landing fees?
LOL... I'm sure an agreement to that subject was one of the clauses in the contract.

Was just there twice this week and for a Global 5000 the landing fee is $790.02 (before taxes)... I'm sure they are going to get a big break on that fee if they pay any at all.
And they should get that break why? Because they are "special"?

The only 2 dollar stock -- for good reason -- I've ever known with a 14 million dollar CEO.

I would shed zero tears for a BBD bankruptcy.

The workers, and the aircraft licences, will get picked up, if valuable to a competent operation. Maybe even by a Canadian company.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm And they should get that break why? Because they are "special"?
At every airport where I've kept planes, the leasehold tenants on the field do not pay landing fees, it's part of the lease.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm

The only 2 dollar stock -- for good reason -- I've ever known with a 14 million dollar CEO.

The workers, and the aircraft licences, will get picked up, if valuable to a competent operation. Maybe even by a Canadian company.
Boeing stock is worth $351 a share. Just over a dollar for every person they killed in under six months. After they lobbied their government to approve an unsafe aircraft and also lobbied their government to shut out the competition with trade barriers.

Just goes to show that it has nothing to do with CEO compensation or how well a company performs. Boeing is too big to fail, and it’s investors are comfortable knowing the US taxpayer will be right there to underwrite the company’s difficult times should it come to that.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:03 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Boeing stock is worth $351 a share. Just over a dollar for every person they killed in under six months. After they lobbied their government to approve an unsafe aircraft and also lobbied their government to shut out the competition with trade barriers.

If that's the measurement, AC came within what? 50 feet? of tripling that figure. Should we talk about AF 447?

Wasn't a safety discussion.....

I'm not a fan of the endless welfare state of brutally run, and corrupt, -- see SNC --- Quebec companies -- at everyone else's expense.

When you have a dishonest or incompetent employee, you don't give them more responsibility. You fire them. Canada should treat these companies, the same.

Where is the government support for Viking Air? Maybe they could develop a new jet.

But oh....they are in the west. So that dog won't hunt. :roll:

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm Hopefully they make a Q300ng and a Q400ng. Somebody's gotta compete with ATR. After this long, I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement.
There was lots of room for improvment when the Q400 was first released. Too bad all they did was take a Yugo and put an LS engine in it.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

]This just in - 24 hours after my last post, DeHaviland is looking at a Austin Mini with an LS and maybe a stretched Yugo.

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/de-havill ... ash-8-400/

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I think Bombardier could try this too about now.

The same solution as for whiny would - be pilots too lazy to work.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/flight-train ... line-pilot

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

They already have a Go Fund Me campaign. I believe it was listed under the non-profit section.
In case you missed it, they had one backer who on behalf of 35 million people helped Bombardier exceed their goal of $500 million by an extra billion or so.
At least on kickstarter and indigogo you get something for pledging your hard earned money.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Stock is having another banner day today.

Is that CEO still worth 14 million?

Return to “General Comments”