north star, any advice of living pickle lake or sioux lookout ??

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pilot4u1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

north star, any advice of living pickle lake or sioux lookout ??

Post by pilot4u1234 »

any way to commute for pilot from thunder bay to pickle lake or sioux lookout?
looks like hard to live there, not enough apt.
how can pilot work in those city?
company designate base at random??
---------- ADS -----------

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: north star, any advice of living pickle lake or sioux lookout ??

Post by KissPlusOne »

Buy a Cherokee or something and fly.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Unless you are in pickle conjuring is our at least was not supported by North Star. Most low time pilots in Sioux find either rooms or roommates to offset the low wage initially. Pickle is just about the same. The mentality is that f/o's are slave labour and easy to come by so they are not treated as well as the captains. Guys are commuting but as I said all from pickle, driving to t Bay and catching airlines there if they don't live in thunder Bay. All on their own dime.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Sioux Lookout is not that hard to find a place to rent if you look through and ask on one of their many Facebook community groups. There's a lot of word-of-mouth commerce because people have a lot of crazy trouble with renters, so they like to be choosy without publicly appearing to be choosy (hence not much advertising). So the best strategy is to get a month in a hotel, then ask around town for a place to rent once you get here. Its not as hard as it initially appears.
Keep in mind that its a really long drive or a really expensive flight from Thunder Bay. Pickle Lake is another 3 hours or so North. Sioux Lookout is a great town once you get used to it.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Dude, just move there, and get stuck in! I made lifelong friends from moving to small towns at the end of the road, where it appears that there's F##k-all to do, other than work, sleep, eat, and drink.
It's not forever, your friends in the city will still be your friends when you return (or they weren't very good friends to begin with) and, if you're judicious with your spending/saving, you'll end up taking a whack off your loans, adding to your TFSA/RRSP or real estate down payment..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I'll second north shore, just move. It's a fun place in a fun time in your life. Get out and explore.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
The Barrel Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The Barrel Man »

Used to be when you took a job in a northern community, you moved there to live. Not blow all your wages running back to Toronto every two weeks to live in your parents basement. It’s not forever, you’ll make friends for life and have some interesting stories to tell the hipsters back in the big scary city. But what do I know, I’m from Pickle.

Thunder Bay radio, HEG is in the airborne section, call final for 27
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

valleyboy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:58 am Unless you are in pickle conjuring is our at least was not supported by North Star. Most low time pilots in Sioux find either rooms or roommates to offset the low wage initially. Pickle is just about the same. The mentality is that f/o's are slave labour and easy to come by so they are not treated as well as the captains. Guys are commuting but as I said all from pickle, driving to t Bay and catching airlines there if they don't live in thunder Bay. All on their own dime.
This is why I laugh at everyone who says "we're lucky" to have an up north.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

The Barrel Man wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 pm Used to be when you took a job in a northern community, you moved there to live. Not blow all your wages running back to Toronto every two weeks to live in your parents basement. It’s not forever, you’ll make friends for life and have some interesting stories to tell the hipsters back in the big scary city. But what do I know, I’m from Pickle.
Some people have relationships, would suck to go 3 or 4 months without seeing while making less than someone at mcdonalds

New Antique Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by New Antique Pilot »

The Barrel Man wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 pm Used to be when you took a job in a northern community, you moved there to live. Not blow all your wages running back to Toronto every two weeks to live in your parents basement. It’s not forever, you’ll make friends for life and have some interesting stories to tell the hipsters back in the big scary city. But what do I know, I’m from Pickle.
Some of the best days of my flying career were spent in Pickle Lake and Sioux Lookout. So much fun even if it was 50 years ago.
Merry Christmas everyone.

New Antique Pilot (formerly Antique Pilot)

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

until you are at least 35 you should be chasing pussy and iron - relationships only get in your way :lol: :twisted:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

vermont wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 pm This is why I laugh at everyone who says "we're lucky" to have an up north.
I couldn't agree more. I get a great deal of self satisfaction out of laughing at people who have different priorities and who enjoy a different lifestyle than I do. I can't understand why people might be interested in the opportunity to try a different culture than what they're used to. I'm not even interested in expanding my horizons within the borders of my own country.
I am a total douchenozzle.

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 am
vermont wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 pm This is why I laugh at everyone who says "we're lucky" to have an up north.
I couldn't agree more. I get a great deal of self satisfaction out of laughing at people who have different priorities and who enjoy a different lifestyle than I do. I can't understand why people might be interested in the opportunity to try a different culture than what they're used to. I'm not even interested in expanding my horizons within the borders of my own country.
I became a hella better pilot and learned a lot about myself (and grew as an individual) by having to live in small town middle of nowhere.

I feel bad for people that don't get to experience it, even if it's only for a summer or something.

Fight school to Jazz to AC seems to be the new route which is too bad and will end up creating a lot of entitled pilots. Heck, it already has.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 am
Clearly you misunderstood what I'm going on about.

I think the cons outweigh the pros but that's for each individual to decide.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Do you understand sarcasm when you see it?

pauljeeves747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pauljeeves747 »

North Shore wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 pm Dude, just move there, and get stuck in! I made lifelong friends from moving to small towns at the end of the road, where it appears that there's F##k-all to do, other than work, sleep, eat, and drink.
It's not forever, your friends in the city will still be your friends when you return (or they weren't very good friends to begin with) and, if you're judicious with your spending/saving, you'll end up taking a whack off your loans, adding to your TFSA/RRSP or real estate down payment..
"North Shore's" advice is excellent, prudent and entirely correct.

I lived in Sioux Lookout in the '80s when Voyageur Airways had the Air Ambulance base there (they may still). It was one of my more memorable eras'. My own two-cents worth (okay, nickel's worth since we don't have pennies anymore) is - at this point in your career - to place your career ahead of everything and everyone except your family and those close friends who will unwaveringly stand beside you when you're unemployed or broke. Don't worry about the others, as they'll likely not worry about you.

Since moving from YXL I've lived in 9 different countries and in more cities around the world than I can remember. My advice is - for what little it's worth - that it's a big planet and you owe it to yourself to see as much of it as you can. Socially, you'll form new friendships with people from so many different backgrounds and cultures that you'll personally, and professionally, grow in ways you can't imagine.

Good luck
www.pauljeeves.com

Paul Jeeves
www.pauljeeves.com

Return to “General Comments”