Flying into Fairmont hot springs airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ggkl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flying into Fairmont hot springs airport

Post by Ggkl »

Has anyone flown into Fairmont hot springs airport cycz. I remember driving by it 15 years ago on a ski trip. Now with a family and a comanche it would make a pretty awesome holiday getaway.
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Flying into Fairmont hot springs airport

Post by youhavecontrol »

Growing up my family had a time share there. It's such a great place to vacation. I've always wanted to fly there but haven't yet. Looks like a challenging airport that would be a lot of fun.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

What do the VFR/IFR pubs say? Google maps shows a lot of runway despite the displaced threshold on 33. I`ve seen exec jets parked there when driving by. Give them a call.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

It’s been 7-8 years since I’ve flown in there so my experience is somewhat dated now but if memory serves me correct it had an RNAV approach with fairly high minimums but nothing odd or difficult about it. I was going in there with a CJ4.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Ggkl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ggkl »

Thanks for the responses guys. It's really too bad banff doesn't have their strip anymore. Invermere is just north from Fairmont to use as an alternate.

RocksAndProps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RocksAndProps »

I was in there a few years ago in a light GA airplane. Fairly straightforward, decent avgas prices. Call ahead to the number in the CFS so they know to expect you. If memory serves there's an RNAV onto 33. It can get very busy with firefighting helicopters in the summertime.

20min walk into town or the ops guys might offer to drive you. 30-45min walk up the mountain to the actual hot springs. I camped beside the apron in a tent under my wing for a couple of nights in the summer and they didn't seem to care.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Flew in there on July 2018 in a TBM 850, nice airport with no fees with Jet fuel purchase. The FBO gave us a ride to the resort. I remember doing the RNAV 33 Approach. Nice scenic approach between mountains in a wide valley.

willpilot4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willpilot4 »

I’ve been there last week. Call ahead to get an idea of RSC.
There’s an RCAP RNAV LPV for RWY33 but IMHO not suitable for a non-FIKI aircraft this time of the year. The missed approach climb gradient is of 410ft/nm to 11.100ft and missed approach altitude of 11.700ft.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

willpilot4 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:05 pm I’ve been there last week. Call ahead to get an idea of RSC.
There’s an RCAP RNAV LPV for RWY33 but IMHO not suitable for a non-FIKI aircraft this time of the year. The missed approach climb gradient is of 410ft/nm to 11.100ft and missed approach altitude of 11.700ft.
Pretty sure the OP isn’t going to be doing the RCAP in his Commanche. Even the other poster in his TBM. Not legally, anyways.

This is an awesome VFR airport. Legally and safely .. run under a cloud deck that would make you go missed on the CAP approach.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “General Comments”