External catheters

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

External catheters

Post by pelmet »

Has anybody tried one of these. Had never heard of them before until something about it recently. One guy even claimed to use it as a passenger on airline flights because of being stuck near the window with someone sleeping beside him or the seat belt sign on for a long time.

"By which he means "external" catheters, so don't panic. They roll on like condoms, have a light to moderate adhesive. Depending on the brand, they can be a bit painful to remove. One connects latex tubing between the catheter nipple and the receptacle. They're not entirely comfortable, but far better than flying around with a full bladder. Most glider pilots put one on before any flight that may become somewhat long. Gliders typically are highly exposed to sunlight between clouds and, under them, it can get quite chilly (leading to cold diuresis). With the equipment already in place, you drink when you're thirsty (or getting fatigued or stupid) and simply go when you need to."
---------- ADS -----------

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: External catheters

Post by Adam Oke »

My relief system preference is the bag removed from a Tim Hortons 10 to Go box. The bag is large, durable, has a wide mouth, and the cap screws back on (100% leak proof).

Guys use external, internal (no thank you), zip locks, Gatorade bottles, suran wrap (this one I have no idea how) and some gliders are even plumbed with relief systems that look similar to a turkey baster with a hole cut in it with tubing running out the fuselage (aka A Polish microphone). Women are limited and some men and women even wear diapers.

Lots of variety, creativity and ingenuity comes from glider pilots.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Glider pilots use them. I like these because there's no glue and I can reuse them (without the fancy collars they come with). A bit of electric tape (not
too tight) keeps them on:

https://www.urodry.com/products/geewhiz.html

Get tubing from Home Depot to route output to container or baggie.

For more details, look up: Glider pilot relief

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Diving community uses them too when doing decompression dives in a dry suit.

Return to “General Comments”