Time is of the essence

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

185pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Time is of the essence

Post by 185pilot »

I was wondering if you signed a contract with a training bond that is due in full if you leave within 0 - 24 months, should you re-pay only half the amount to the employer after 1 year? It should be pro-rated? Is it fair?
---------- ADS -----------

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

185pilot wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:26 am I was wondering if you signed a contract with a training bond that is due in full if you leave within 0 - 24 months, should you re-pay only half the amount to the employer after 1 year? It should be pro-rated? Is it fair?
It looks like that might be the case.
Read this decision:
http://canlii.ca/t/7c70
There are also several other cases of training bonds to read about on that same website.
Still, it would be wise to talk to a lawyer.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Whether you agree or don't agree with bonds is a decision you have to make before you sign one. Bonds in Canada are quite enforceable and one only has to do a search in case law to validate this. The common theme is, did the employee receive value for training, and is that training beneficial to the employee in their new position.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I agree, if you sign one got should expect to honour it. They can be enforceable. But they aren't always.

Nobody should ride it out at a piece of shit operator, I've been there and glad to get through it alive. I'd rather chance defending the law suit than stay.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That's why I give companies a pay as you go mobile number and sign all bonds. Elmer Fudd ~ millionaire

Return to “General Comments”