737 screens go blank with specific approaches

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

737 screens go blank with specific approaches

Post by photofly »

Blackout Bug: Boeing 737 cockpit screens go blank if pilots load specific approaches...
Fancy that.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/0 ... blank_bug/
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: 737 screens go blank with specific approaches

Post by AuxBatOn »

Makes me think of this: https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f2 ... ine-03087/

It’s really hard to catch all the bugs in the Developmental phase of an aircraft testing. With computers nowadays, there are literally millions of possible combinations. With some source code analysis, we can narrow it down the pitfalls of the code however it is still in the hundreds of thousands of possibilities....

Going for the deck at corner
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Like having to go into Barrow isn't already a bad enough day... then you get that...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 pm Makes me think of this: https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f2 ... ine-03087/

It’s really hard to catch all the bugs in the Developmental phase of an aircraft testing. With computers nowadays, there are literally millions of possible combinations. With some source code analysis, we can narrow it down the pitfalls of the code however it is still in the hundreds of thousands of possibilities....
Oh, ok. Then I guess it’s fine.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 am
AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 pm Makes me think of this: https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f2 ... ine-03087/

Oh, ok. Then I guess it’s fine.
My point is that it is NOT fine. It’s just an example of something technology has made difficult, despite the rigorous coding processes, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Going for the deck at corner
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

I once had all screens go black entering a hold for a Calgary approach (around 2002), luckily it was partially VFR and the screens came back after about 30 seconds.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

God forbid a fully qualified and experienced jet Captain would have to fly on standby instruments.

In all seriousness...losing all 6 screens would be a WTF moment but I would hope any pilot who is allowed into the flightdeck of a transport category jet could handle it.

SRV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SRV »

...and they said computers can fly airplanes...oop's, this one has a virus...

Couldn't Stand the Weather

Return to “General Comments”