Types of ELT

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Types of ELT

Post by ahramin »

CAR 605.38 says we need an ELT of type AD, AF, AP, A, or F.

What the heck are A and F?

And am I the only idiot here who has their ELT listed as AF when actually all of our small aircraft ELTs are AP?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Types of ELT

Post by photofly »

You need one of: Automatic Deployable, Automatic Fixed, Automatic Portable, Automatic, or Fixed.

Definitions are in TC AIM SAR 3.2.

Don't know about yours, but mine are all definitely AF. AP has the antenna an integral part of the ELT.
There are five types of emergency locator transmitter (ELT):

(a)TYPE A or AD (automatic ejectable or automatically deployable)—This type automatically ejects from the aircraft and is set in operation by inertia sensors when the aircraft is subjected to a crash deceleration force acting through the aircraft’s flight axis. This type is expensive and is seldom used in general aviation.

( b)TYPE F or AF (fixed [not ejectable] or automatic fixed)—This type is automatically set in operation by an inertia switch when the aircraft is subjected to crash deceleration forces acting in the aircraft’s flight axis. The transmitter can be manually activated or deactivated, and in some cases, may be remotely controlled from the cockpit. Provision may also be made for recharging the batteries from the aircraft’s electrical supply. An additional antenna may be provided for portable use of the ELT. Most general aviation aircraft use this ELT type, which must have the function switch placed to the “ARM” position for the unit to function automatically in a crash.

(c) TYPE AP (automatic portable)—This type is similar to Type F or AF, except that the antenna is integral to the unit for portable operation.

(d)TYPE P (personal)—This type has no fixed mounting and does not transmit automatically. A manual switch is used to start or stop the transmitter.

(e) TYPE W or S (water-activated or survival)—This type transmits automatically when immersed in water. It is waterproof, floats, and operates on the surface of the water. It has no fixed mounting. It should be tethered to survivors or life rafts.
More from ICAO:
https://www.icao.int/Meetings/AMC/MA/20 ... p10_en.pdf
Emergency Locator Transmitter (international acronym: ELT): Generic term designating a device that emits distinctive signals over designated frequencies, and which, depending on particular applications, may either be turned on automatically following impact or be turned on manually. Any of the following devices may serve as an ELT:-

Automatic fixed ELT (international acronym: ELT/AF): ELT that is permanently attached to an aircraft, and that is turned on automatically. -

Automatic portable ELT (international acronym: ELT/AP): ELT that is rigidly attached to an aircraft but readily removable from the aircraft, and that is turned on automatically.

Automatically deployable ELT (international acronym: ELT/AD): ELT that is rigidly attached to an aircraft and that is deployed and turned on automatically upon impact and, in certain cases, by hydrostatic sensors. Manual deployment is also provided.

Survival Emergency Locator Transmitter (international acronym: ELT/S): ELT that is removable from an aircraft, stowed so as to facilitate its ready use in an emergency, and turned on manually by survivors.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

All my ELTs have a second antenna strapped to the ELT tray. Looking at the 406s it doesn't appear that they have this any more.

Thanks for the AIM reference, should have looked there.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I had a Pointer that had a rubber whip antenna, but to use that first you needed to disconnect it from the airframe antenna and then plug in the whip for portable use. It was therefore still AF. No other ELTs I've had, have had an attached antenna.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I think the point of labeling an ELT AF or AP is so that SAR knows if the ELT stays with the airframe or can be taken away from the crash site. If the ELT is designed to be removed from the aircraft and a portable antenna is supplied for that purpose, I'd say it's an AP rather than an AF even though the normal antenna is attached to the airframe.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Seems like I shouldn't need to write AP on a flight plan.

If it's working properly and starts moving it must either be portable or someone is taxiing the plane.

Then again, I have seen several times when an ELT was triggered on the property of CYYC and was somehow signaling near Cochrane. A hand held homer found it in a hangar a few times. Nobody knew why. My theory was the signal traveled via power lines.

That is why I like things like those spots. They are inexpensive and leave a nice breadcrumb like trail. Helps narrow down a pretty likely last location even if your ELT fails to go off.

Also why I think the fancy newer digital ELTs coupled to GPS are an upgrade too. if by some chance the signal is bouncing off to some location far from where you are, it is sending co-ordinates and Searchers will go look in both places.

Return to “General Comments”