Skylink Planes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Don Cherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Skylink Planes

Post by Don Cherry »

pild04 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 pm
Don Cherry wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am
pild04 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info!

I would like to know kind of a bond is it - a pro-rated bond that has to be paid if one leaves during the term or to be paid upfront or deducted from paycheck. How long does it take to upgrade? Is it the same type of bond after upgrade too?

Thank you!
Pro-rated bond, about 10k for an upgrade. Before covid Skylink was struggling to keep pilots, so very fast upgrades. After covid, tons of 1900 pilots available so they're getting guys on contract with valid PPC on type.
Zero upgrades until 705 start hiring again.
Thanks!

Before COVID-19, would Skylink hire pilots from within the company with experience lesser than 800 hours?
Not sure. It's a small company, a few employees. Don't know any pilot here that worked on a ground position before. As far as I know, the 800 hrs is an insurance requirement and also to make sure the FO's will be able to fly a fast turboprop to the minimums on an ILS without autopilot, flight director or a proper GPS.
---------- ADS -----------

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Don Cherry wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm
pild04 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 pm
Don Cherry wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am

Pro-rated bond, about 10k for an upgrade. Before covid Skylink was struggling to keep pilots, so very fast upgrades. After covid, tons of 1900 pilots available so they're getting guys on contract with valid PPC on type.
Zero upgrades until 705 start hiring again.
Thanks!

Before COVID-19, would Skylink hire pilots from within the company with experience lesser than 800 hours?
Not sure. It's a small company, a few employees. Don't know any pilot here that worked on a ground position before. As far as I know, the 800 hrs is an insurance requirement and also to make sure the FO's will be able to fly a fast turboprop to the minimums on an ILS without autopilot, flight director or a proper GPS.
I see. Thanks!

Don Cherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Don Cherry »

Hello all, heard Skylink is getting an union. I'd love to hear the inside thoughts about it. It's about time, they're probably paying the same peanuts they're paying 10 years ago!
During my time there I often heard rumours about it but was never a reality... I bet management is crapping theirs pants right now!

fly24/7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly24/7 »

The rumours of union are true.Was passed by the Union Board and now Bargaining team is being voted on now.

Several stories of pilots being there for over 10years and being paid a measly $600 extra per year over that time period.

Management was not happy and fought it. Chief Pilot talks to every new hire about not being involved in the Union.

Skylink does not seem to understand that is only asset is its pilots. Every Base rundown, terrible working environment and even worse maintenance. Surprise contracts with no heads up. Anyone considering run for the hills!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 am Yeah I remember bombing around the arctic NDB to NDB trying to correct your track in a 20 knot gusty crosswind in a King Air. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had in an airplane!
Good times for sure and don't forget those NDB circling approaches in oh so fun arctic conditions. :)

I went from doing those kinds of approaches in a Merlin 2A and a King Air 200 to doing them all over again in a 737-200.

Wouldn't change a thing... those were some good times!

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

The lack of a GPS for the routes they fly on the west coast is a non-issue. Full disclosure, I have never worked there, or even know any one that worked there. BUT....
A good friend of mine who is a talented pilot and a superb employee, applied for a job at Skylink and went for an interview with the chief pilot. The interview consisted of a bunch of questions that allowed the chief pilot to fluff up how important they thought they were and to belittle the applicant. It was the most unskilled interview in that it was structured to provide the company with no insight or information on the person they were interviewing. The chief pilot was clueless about what he was even looking for, much less how to ascertain anything meaningful as to what sort of employee my friend would be. Sadly an all too common occurrence in the 703/704 world. My friend went on to much bigger and better things, but based on the interview I can just imagine what an unpleasant environment it must be to work in.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Flight94 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 am Correct, some aircraft do not have GPS capability and fly using traditional NAV aids. None of skylink's planes are certified for RNAV approaches.

If you are considering working there, take into account the following:

F/O pay is 33k/yr

1yr bond, approx $16k

Upgrades also bonded

No benefits

Pay your own medicals

YVR and YWG fly mostly at night, including weekends and holidays

Load and unload your own plane the majority of trips

Schedule is unpredictable and changes often, plan on being called on reserve frequently, and it's rare to have 2 days off in a row.

Planes are old, tired, poorly equipped and have no autopilot

Training is condensed to 3 days of groundschool and then on wing training, 5-10hrs.

If you can put up with the above, it will tick alot of boxes for your A's. But so will every other place. The requirements are +/-800hrs, and at that experience level these days you've got options. Explore them.
So it’s volunteer work. Got it lol

Return to “General Comments”