Looking for help/advice

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Autumn.G.888
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for help/advice

Post by Autumn.G.888 »

My 18 year old nephew says he wants to become a commercial pilot but he's a bit lost and his highschool grades aren't the best. Now he's trying to put off going into post secondary because of it, wants to work as a flight attendant instead because he's been told that it can be a stepping stone towards becoming a commercial pilot. Please please please, I am looking for a commercial pilot in Canada to discuss with, and maybe talk to my nephew. If he doesn't head to post secondary this September I honestly don't think he'll ever make it there and will be stuck delivering pizzas or another mediocre job, not that it's a bad thing, work is work, but I want better for him. He also looses his scholarship if he doesn't attend school in September. Someone please help me!
---------- ADS -----------

OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Looking for help/advice

Post by OldTracker »

I'm not a Pilot but I am a dad. Does your nephew lurk on this forum? How about getting him to register here and start reading the posts. It won't take long for him to start thinking about seriously trying to find a way into aviation. I believe he would benefit greatly by reaching out here and asking for advice. Cheers.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Sorry, but how do you get scholarships with mediocre grades? The trend is towards post secondary studies to fly for airlines...

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

First off,

Sounds like you do not want him to become a commercial pilot! Secondly I am not a father, just an Uncle and an airline pilot.

Many moons ago when I was younger I went to university a bit lost as well and it was a disaster! A waste of time, money and a student spot for someone who could have used it. 18 is young, don't rush kids to grow up too fast. University or College will be there in the future so will Scholarships.

As for being a pilot, it is not for everyone. There are some great things to this career and some awful ones as well. If he is getting into it to see the world and travel, don't! He will be highly disappointed. I think your best bet is yes to have him sit down over a coffee with a working airline pilot. There is a shortage on now and it is a good time to get into being a pilot. That being said aviation is cyclical and we have been on an up swing for quite some time. There is also the barrier to entry, though I am long out of the training world I would guess a Commercial Pilots License with Multi Engine and Instrument ratings is in the neighborhood of $80,000 plus an additional $10,000 if he decides to complete an instructor rating.

Best thing you can do is take him to the local airport and sign him up for a familiarization flight. Use to be about $100 for a 30 min flight in a Cessna 172 or similar. After that there are quite a few College and a few University flight programs out there, however if he wishes to be in a September uptake, now is the time to apply. If you are in Ontario, some are even subsidized, though the competition for those is fierce.

As for lack of university being a barrier to entry into the airlines, perhaps in the US, but not from my experience here in Canada. Certainly not recently at Air Canada or WestJet.

The flight attendant idea, does introduce him to airline life. He could get on at a place like Jazz or WestJet Encore, or a smaller airline straight out of high school. The downside is being an FA is in my mind a kind of awful job, you have all the down sides of airline life without the upside of a decent paycheck. Though I am not a people person!

You never did mention where in the country he is.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

A few things:

1. Flight training doesn't have to mean university/college. You can still get into airlines without enrolling in a hefty diploma program. Some of those aviation diploma programs can be a massive waste of money.
2. School grades don't mean everything. I friggen hated school and was bored to death every day and my grades reflected it. I did really well with aviation studies because I was actually interested in it.
3. There's NOTHING wrong with working for a while, earning some life experience as well as some $$$, plus proving to the banks you are responsible before they give you a loan/line-of-credit for your flight training. Being a flight attendant might be a lot of fun and a good way to get to know the industry before taking a big plunge.
4. I never got a scholarship either... in fact the only one I was eligible for, our useless flying club didn't honor.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

I'm neither a pilot nor a dad yet, but I am a flight attendant/service director, and once upon a time also went into university a bit lost (mechanical engineering), wasting a few unhappy years pursuing something that I wasn't right for.

A young guy could do a lot worse than working as a flight attendant; he can get hired straight out of high school and start making money right away with very little commitment, especially if he speaks multiple languages or is willing to learn. The pay sucks at the beginning, but climbs to fairly interesting levels at the big airlines - higher than the first couple of flat-pay years as a pilot at AC, for example. The benefits can be excellent: pension plan, health, dental, etc. There's lots of time off, so if/when he does decide to pursue more education, he can. I did a business degree from scratch on the side and am now working on my PPL, with free time left to spare. I also commute to work on average 4-5 times per month, which opens up options for inexpensive housing.

He'd get travel benefits to get out and see a bit of the world, which I think is important for a young person. He'd also learn customer service and social skills in addition to working as a team; this was a big benefit to me as a natural introvert. And, depending on which airline he works for, he'd be in a great position to find himself in exotic locales with attractive young ladies (or flamboyant young guys, if that's his preference).

Lastly, he'd be in constant contact with airline pilots, who in my experience are very supportive of aspiring pilots. I can't say yet whether being a flight attendant is a good stepping stone to becoming a pilot per se. In fact, when I reached out to management about information or possible support I was told flat out that I was on my own. However, I do know a girl who was given a one year leave of absence to go out west and get her CPL, and pilots have told me that the company does give preference to current and past employees when hiring. (They also told me that a university degree is still a highly favourable asset.) And, as has been said, he'd get a good feel for what airline life is like.

I like the above idea of sending him up on a fam flight. If being up there in a 172 doesn't stoke his passion to learn to fly, then it's probably not right for him. Maybe being a flight attendant is more his speed. Alternatively, AME is another possible avenue to get into aviation. In the end, at 18 I think it's more important that a young person pursue something, and strives to learn from it, than it is to pick the right thing to pursue. University isn't nearly the opener of doors that it used to be, and you can always go back to it later on in life if desired.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

200hr Wonder wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 am If he is getting into it to see the world and travel, don't! He will be highly disappointed.
I am curious as to why you'd think this.

As for the OP's question. The advice to take him on a Fam. flight is solid. If he likes that then enrolling in a Private pilot license course to see if he has the aptitude to be a pilot. by the time he passes his Private Pilot license he will know if this career is something he truly wants to pursue.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Roar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 pm
200hr Wonder wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 am If he is getting into it to see the world and travel, don't! He will be highly disappointed.
I am curious as to why you'd think this.

As for the OP's question. The advice to take him on a Fam. flight is solid. If he likes that then enrolling in a Private pilot license course to see if he has the aptitude to be a pilot. by the time he passes his Private Pilot license he will know if this career is something he truly wants to pursue.
Because all you get to see at work is yet another airport hotel, if your lucky the downtown hotel with enough time for a meal and maybe a wonder. If it is the primary reason for getting into the industry, personally I don't feel it is the right one.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you want to travel, become a flight attendant. The back of the plane goes to exactly the same places as the front, and the training is somewhat cheaper.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”