"Trip from hell".

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

"Trip from hell".

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5428135

Trip from hell. "Panic Attacks".

For a delay. Enough already with the hysteria. STFU!

Get a hotel, message the airline, deal with it. Not rocket science.

People don't know what a real crisis is. I do. I hope most never have to deal with a real life and death crisis.
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: "Trip from hell".

Post by C-GGGQ »

Why was his super important medication in his checked baggage?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

"I've spent $600 out of pocket, maybe more," Ball says.
So, in other words, the $600 it would have cost you to fly with a real airline..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

You get what you pay for.

It seems a 2 star roach motel goes along perfectly with an airline named after the term for the mix of perspiration and residual excrement in your bum crack.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

When they heard about the longer delay, they approached the staff to get Jesse's medication from his checked baggage.

"He needs medication every five hours or else he's in pain," Woo says.
Really? You packed your medication that you need every five hours in your checked luggage? If everything goes smoothly, for a flight blocked at 3h40m, you're really gambling.

Idiots all around.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Oh well. You get what you pay for.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Sure.

Because full-fare airlines never have delays or cancellations.

I'm with rookiepilot: without any true hardship in the age we live in, we just make up things to complain about.

Endlessly.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

In my past experience from the front seat the issue is that when a "fun in the sun" charter package goes sideways there are no hotels since the rooms vacated were filled again with inbounds that just got off the aircraft. Been there done that and people are stuck until a rescue is organised. The other problem with these cheap charters that the majority of the flying customer is not an experienced traveller and simple things like packing meds is just a rookie mistake. It boils down to you get what you pay for and in today's world that is the fact but people expect the VIP service for a $300 dollar ticket. I have no sympathy.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

Is the Flight Attendant alright?

Crazed Windscreen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crazed Windscreen »

Commonwealth wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am Is the Flight Attendant alright?
Can you imagine the prospect of a Mexican hospital for the flight attendant?

That has the potential for a hellish experience far greater than the pax...snowflakes.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 am Because full-fare airlines never have delays or cancellations.
Westjet and Air Canada do a pretty good job of getting passengers on alternative flights when there is a problem.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am
complexintentions wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 am Because full-fare airlines never have delays or cancellations.
Westjet and Air Canada do a pretty good job of getting passengers on alternative flights when there is a problem.
Air Canada and WestJet have more than 8 aircraft.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Exactly.

You’re not paying for the service or the product. You’re paying for how you’ll be taken care of when, not if, something goes wrong. Snap On, Apple, even Costco has built their business on this principle.

Yeah I had a flight delayed for 12 hours because of sick crew members. But they got us on board. They put the coals to it. They gave us a meal ticket at the connecting airport. They threw every non-rev off the next flight and got us to our destination. United, of all airlines. The woman in front of us who booked a cheaper airline to connect out of Houston? Had to eat the full cost of the flight and had to try and book another one last minute to arrive a couple days into her vacation

If you have no spare aircraft or extra capacity, no extra crew, and your operation is based on ruthless cost cutting.. everything is great until it isn’t.

If you go in expected this, well that’s the risk you take. Get an AirBnB or book another hotel and ask for compensation or eat the cost. Enjoy the land of mañana for a few more days.

First world problems.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Exactly.

You’re not paying for the service or the product. You’re paying for how you’ll be taken care of when, not if, something goes wrong. Snap On, Apple, even Costco has built their business on this principle.

Yeah I had a flight delayed for 12 hours because of sick crew members. But they got us on board. They put the coals to it. They gave us a meal ticket at the connecting airport. They threw every non-rev off the next flight and got us to our destination. United, of all airlines. The woman in front of us who booked a cheaper airline to connect out of Houston? Had to eat the full cost of the flight and had to try and book another one last minute to arrive a couple days into her vacation

If you have no spare aircraft or extra capacity, no extra crew, and your operation is based on ruthless cost cutting.. everything is great until it isn’t.

If you go in expected this, well that’s the risk you take. Get an AirBnB or book another hotel and ask for compensation or eat the cost. Enjoy the land of mañana for a few more days.

First world problems.
Regardless of what you pay, if you don't get the service you were promised then it's the suppliers fault. Air Canada and WestJet still have massive problems like this, it financially benefits them when they can shaft a bunch of passengers. This is why we have a passenger bill of Rights now.

All the brands you just mentioned are terribly overpriced and are merely status symbols. I'll give you Costco and their customer service but snap on and apple have very little that way. Snap on will at least honour their warranty if you can track down a truck or bother with their mail in system. From what I hear, Apple barely provides any warranty service and you even have to pay extra for better coverage. On the whole, there are less expensive and better alternatives for both.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Am I the only one that has had to get out my credit card, go to a hotel and order pizza because my return flight was cancelled due to weather riding with Air Canada? There was no pity from the carrier. "Sorry, flight's cancelled due to weather. Not our fault."

Next day everything was unsure, so I got them to change my ticket, then I rented a car and went to Chicago to catch the connecting flight to get home.

I avoid Swoop and Mexico so the hotel was pretty nice by my admittedly low standards, but I had to pay for it, seems pretty similar. I am confused about Swoop not having a spare flight attendant but that sort of equipment redundancy is probably too expensive.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 am Am I the only one that has had to get out my credit card, go to a hotel and order pizza because my return flight was cancelled due to weather riding with Air Canada? There was no pity from the carrier. "Sorry, flight's cancelled due to weather. Not our fault."

Next day everything was unsure, so I got them to change my ticket, then I rented a car and went to Chicago to catch the connecting flight to get home.

I avoid Swoop and Mexico so the hotel was pretty nice by my admittedly low standards, but I had to pay for it, seems pretty similar. I am confused about Swoop not having a spare flight attendant but that sort of equipment redundancy is probably too expensive.
To begin with weather is NOT anything the airlines can control. Maintenance and staffing is something they can control. I am not sure if the rules changes. It use to be if you were short a flight attendant then you were restricted on number of passengers. If that's the case why would they dead head home. Which leads to the question chartering a private jet to bring in a new crew would be cheaper then dead heading and abandoning passengers. But that is probably to easy of a solution.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I suppose cancelling due to lack of crew might help you get reimbursed. If so bonus.

I was providing anecdotal evidence to support complexintentions factual inference that going on a trip and flying with any airline, might leave one looking for a place to stay longer.
plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 am
Air Canada and WestJet have more than 8 aircraft.
Pretty good job still might mean you have to buy a night at a hotel or more at your own expense.

If you fly somewhere you usually get home on schedule.... Sometimes you don't.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

godsrcrazy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:33 am I am not sure if the rules changes. It use to be if you were short a flight attendant then you were restricted on number of passengers.
When the flight attendant ratio changed from 1:40 to 1:50, that's when the rule changed. At the older ratio it was based on passengers on board, at the new ratio it's based on seats installed in the aircraft.

Return to “General Comments”