Am I too old to be a commercial pilot?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cametomeinthenight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Am I too old to be a commercial pilot?

Post by cametomeinthenight »

For reference, I turn 30 this year. A bit of my background: I have always had a fascination with flying, and spent a lot of my childhood around small airstrips as my Dad was a hobby pilot (gliders, microlights, and a couple of Cessna's). As a kid, I was convinced I'd be an airline pilot one day, but was dissuaded from that career as it was during a time of pilot over-supply and notoriously poor wages so I gave up that dream long ago.

I am fortunate in the sense that I have had a successful career working in technology up to this point. I hold a university degree, and have been well paid working as an independent tech consultant. That being said, I have spent the last year feeling unfulfilled with my job, and the thought that if I don't do something now, I'm potentially going to dreading my job for another 35 years terrifies me.

I have always held on to that interest in aviation, and now I'm wondering if I should pursue my passion through a career change, and go after my PPL, CPL and eventual ATPL. After lurking on AvCanada for a while, it looks like I need about $80k which I can afford without having to take on any debt. However, from what I've read about initial pilot earnings, I'd need to continue consulting part-time to keep up with my current living costs (I own a house, have a family, etc.)

Here are a couple of questions I have:
  1. After reading the above, do you think I am nuts? Has anyone else left a well-paying job to pursue commercial aviation? Please feel free to DM me. I'd love to talk to someone who has done this already to learn about the path you took and how you felt after the career change.
  2. While earning your hours as a flight instructor or other time-building gig, is it realistic to work a side-job? I work remotely which is an obvious benefit.
  3. Assume money isn't an issue. What's the fastest route to ATPL time without having to move? I'm in the Hamilton region for reference.
  4. Is it realistic to be a good Husband & Dad as well as a commercial pilot? I have a young family and would still want to be at home as many evenings as possible. My SO has supportive so far as I've explored this change, but I want to understand impact on family life.
  5. Is my business degree worth anything to airlines?
  6. What's the best way to talk to someone that's in the industry right now? I'd be happy to buy any commercial pilots reading this lunch or a coffee for the opportunity to chat.
---------- ADS -----------

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Am I too old to be a commercial pilot?

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

My two cents. Your degree is worth something....sometimes just a formality. if your looking for zero to hero quick, Jazz Aviation launched a program to do just that. Launching in the spring of 2020. Something to look into and then qualified to be hired into the CRJ.....if youre looking at doing quick and money no issue, something to look into

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

For point 3, the fact that you live in Hamilton (Toronto area) already is initially not going to help you but 1500 hours down the line it's going to be a big benefit. You'll have plenty of options without having to commute, unlike alot of us who live in smaller towns and cities and have to pay for a crashpad etc, you wont have to.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

For what it's worth, I too am pursuing a career change from I.T. into aviation. I'll be leaving relatively well paying career as a devops consultant and staring the pilot path from ground zero. And I'm 41 this year.

From everything I've researched, it certainly can be done at my age, but it won't be easy, and may involve some time away from home if I need to build hours quickly. If it can be done at my age, it can be done at yours.

I'm not looking to be an airline pilot though, more likely a career in the bush or firebombing or medevac.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you want it, do it. You can go back full time to consulting anytime. It is not an easy road, even now, although it has never been like it is now in my my long lifetime. Ask yourself why you earned all that money in the first place. To enjoy life.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

ayseven wrote:Ask yourself why you earned all that money in the first place.
I got lucky.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

No that is a typical response from someone who worked for everything they have. I feel the same but really, i worked pretty hard for it, and made decent choices, as it turned out. I come from a good middle class family in a half decent first world country, so i suppose that is lucky.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

When I saw the title of this post I expected you to be maybe 50+ and even at that age there’s still plenty of time. At 30 you have so much time ahead of you that you can build a great career in aviation.

Your degree will help but maybe not as much as you would hope. It definitely helps more with some airlines over others but many of us have a degree (and many dont)

The first few years will be tough but gets better very quickly and as long as you have the support, both financially and otherwise, then get on with it! I entered flying at 37 and made it to left seat at a major airline in my late forties.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I am currently a part time tech consultant and fly for a regional full time. I used to be a full time software engineer before flying commercially. Honestly I would not recommend becoming an airline pilot as it eventually becomes a job like everything else and the pay and lifestyle is worse than in tech.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

No one can answer that question other then you. If your doing well now with a good work/life balance I’d say just get your own airplane and fly it around. Way more fun then flying commercially. It turns into a job like everything else.

Whip

cametomeinthenight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cametomeinthenight »

wordstwice wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:17 pm The first few years will be tough but gets better very quickly and as long as you have the support, both financially and otherwise, then get on with it! I entered flying at 37 and made it to left seat at a major airline in my late forties.
Knowing that others have made the leap later in life has definitely been helpful.
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 pm lifestyle is worse than in tech.
Can I ask which parts of the lifestyle & working at a regional you don't enjoy? What kind of schedule are you working currently?

andyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyp »

In 10 years, you’ll be 40. This is going to happen whether you like it or not. It is a fact, and you have no say in the matter. It is out of your control, and it’s coming for you. The only thing you have control over is, who you’re going to be.

This day and age, if you start right now, by 40 you’ll be a successful pilot SOMEWHERE in the industry. There’s lots of work in every corner of this industry right now, and any pilot with real life experience will only be more and more appreciated and valued as time goes on. Lots of new licences/first real jobbers out there these days.

If you have the financial means, and the heart, go for it. You won’t regret the stories you’ll make and what you’ll learn along the way.

Have fun!

P.s. I used 10 years as a goal post...(being conservative) but these days you could be a regional skipper in 5 years making good money. That’s a 25-30 year dream career!

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Do it. Life is short.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

I did exactly this at 35. 30 is definitely not too old, but I also believe that neither is 55. It really depends on your goals, so while take in the opinions and positions from this board, but this is ultimately on you.

Can you guarantee that your life will be better 20+ years down the line versus if you'd just stayed in IT? Not really... All I can say is that, if you do pursue this, make sure your family and loved ones are supportive, as you will definitely impact their lives one way or another if and when you do decide that this line of work is for you.

Also, you have experience in IT that you can fall back on if this becomes a disastrous experiment and you end up not liking it... Always good to have a fall back plan.

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cxchd »

I was 35, but had a ppl since I was 18. It takes a lot of money and study time and desire, but with the industry the way it is you can climb the ladder quickly. I worked part time instructing for a number of years as I two had a family and the pay sucks and had to keep my full time job. Big issue is the demand it may put on your marriage. Mine fell apart, but was already heading there.
You really have to love flying as the lifestyle is somewhat crappy. Been flying jets now for over 15 years and Captain on a heavy widebody. Once you get there life can be pretty good as the money is good. I love my job and have another 5 years to go. No regrets.
If you like teaching, instructing could be a good part time gig. Keeps you home while your building time and full time or other part time job keeps the money coming in and the wife happy. It also leads to making connections which could leed to that first real job.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

cametomeinthenight wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm For reference, I turn 30 this year. A bit of my background: I have always had a fascination with flying, and spent a lot of my childhood around small airstrips as my Dad was a hobby pilot (gliders, microlights, and a couple of Cessna's). As a kid, I was convinced I'd be an airline pilot one day, but was dissuaded from that career as it was during a time of pilot over-supply and notoriously poor wages so I gave up that dream long ago.

I am fortunate in the sense that I have had a successful career working in technology up to this point. I hold a university degree, and have been well paid working as an independent tech consultant. That being said, I have spent the last year feeling unfulfilled with my job, and the thought that if I don't do something now, I'm potentially going to dreading my job for another 35 years terrifies me.

I have always held on to that interest in aviation, and now I'm wondering if I should pursue my passion through a career change, and go after my PPL, CPL and eventual ATPL. After lurking on AvCanada for a while, it looks like I need about $80k which I can afford without having to take on any debt. However, from what I've read about initial pilot earnings, I'd need to continue consulting part-time to keep up with my current living costs (I own a house, have a family, etc.)

1. After reading the above, do you think I am nuts? Has anyone else left a well-paying job to pursue commercial aviation? Please feel free to DM me. I'd love to talk to someone who has done this already to learn about the path you took and how you felt after the career change.
  2. While earning your hours as a flight instructor or other time-building gig, is it realistic to work a side-job? I work remotely which is an obvious benefit.
  3. Assume money isn't an issue. What's the fastest route to ATPL time without having to move? I'm in the Hamilton region for reference.
  4. Is it realistic to be a good Husband & Dad as well as a commercial pilot? I have a young family and would still want to be at home as many evenings as possible. My SO has supportive so far as I've explored this change, but I want to understand impact on family life.
  6. What's the best way to talk to someone that's in the industry right now? I'd be happy to buy any commercial pilots reading this lunch or a coffee for the opportunity to chat.
It’s never too late. I have a friend who started flight training at 40 years old. At 50, he flew for a major 737 operator in Canada. And still does...

And please, don’t ask such personal questions on a public forum regarding if you’d be a good husband etc. People on here are quick to give you advise that doesn’t involve them. This is something you need to discuss with your family. Plan on the next 3 years of dedicated flight training. Then 2 years instructing. Then you can move to a regional, then major airline. You may even choose to make a career out of the regional. I almost did that myself but chose the airline route because I’m under 30.

If flying for a living is something you really want to do. Start ASAP! I made the switch from an office job and I absolutely love it.

All the best!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:45 pm
cametomeinthenight wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm For reference, I turn 30 this year. A bit of my background: I have always had a fascination with flying, and spent a lot of my childhood around small airstrips as my Dad was a hobby pilot (gliders, microlights, and a couple of Cessna's). As a kid, I was convinced I'd be an airline pilot one day, but was dissuaded from that career as it was during a time of pilot over-supply and notoriously poor wages so I gave up that dream long ago.

It’s never too late. I have a friend who started flight training at 40 years old. At 50, he flew for a major 737 operator in Canada. And still does...

And please, don’t ask such personal questions on a public forum regarding if you’d be a good husband etc. People on here are quick to give you advise that doesn’t involve them. This is something you need to discuss with your family. Plan on the next 3 years of dedicated flight training. Then 2 years instructing. Then you can move to a regional, then major airline. You may even choose to make a career out of the regional. I almost did that myself but chose the airline route because I’m under 30.

If flying for a living is something you really want to do. Start ASAP! I made the switch from an office job and I absolutely love it.

All the best!
Why would it take 3 years for flight training? He already has a degree.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

I did the same thing at 30. I did IT for ten years then went back and became a pilot. Two years later I just had my CPL signed off and I'm writing my INRAT next week.

It's hard but it'll be worth it in the end.

Return to “General Comments”