Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Eric Janson »

Well this is going to have a huge impact on our industry imho.

A number of countries have finally closed their borders to people coming from China - going against the WHO who have shown themselves to be completely useless so far.

I'm expecting increasing flight cancellations across the globe. This will be followed by mass layoffs imho.

I'm guessing a lot of people are re-evaluating their travel plans.

Finally does anyone have a website that gives good coverage of the Corona Virus outbreak? - I'm always looking for new sources of information.

Criticism of zerohedge is certainly justified - but they have the best coverage I've been able to find.
---------- ADS -----------

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:41 am Well this is going to have a huge impact on our industry imho.

A number of countries have finally closed their borders to people coming from China - going against the WHO who have shown themselves to be completely useless so far.

I'm expecting increasing flight cancellations across the globe. This will be followed by mass layoffs imho.

I'm guessing a lot of people are re-evaluating their travel plans.

Finally does anyone have a website that gives good coverage of the Corona Virus outbreak? - I'm always looking for new sources of information.

Criticism of zerohedge is certainly justified - but they have the best coverage I've been able to find.
WHO is the one that made the recommendations for controls. Many other countries besides the usa and canada have joined in on the quarantine. There is no conspiracy.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

It may, or may not, have a large impact on aviation. Obviously large scale shutdowns of routes will have an impact on the bottom line; but it's not as though flights have been stopped to the entire Asia/Pacific region.

Closing borders will be ineffective, as it incentivizes smuggling - if people are desperate to get out of China that is. The other question is, how porous are the borders into Russia and surrounding nations? Is it actually feasible to close the entire border, or is this more a symbolic move?

It's my understanding that the WHOs recommendations for controls are mostly for quarantining potentially ill or possibly contagious individuals. They're realistic enough to know that you won't be able to stop all movements to/from China - not to mention the fact that people were travelling freely while 2019-nCoV was hardly a blip on the international radar. The main centres for the outbreak still remain in China, so continued efforts at quarantine are the best bet for containing things to a "manageable" level. If wider outbreaks begin occurring elsewhere in the world, then things will get more interesting - and that would lead to damage to not only the aviation industry, but likely a significant economic reversal.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

7ECA wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:13 pm It may, or may not, have a large impact on aviation. Obviously large scale shutdowns of routes will have an impact on the bottom line; but it's not as though flights have been stopped to the entire Asia/Pacific region.
If the Corona Virus gets loose in India or Indonesia then large scale route shutdowns will take place imho. Last week Indonesia did not have any way to test for the Corona Virus.

I have received second hand info that all Expat Pilots at China Southern have been put on LWOP (Leave WithOut Pay).

Additionally if they can't come back when called due to travel restrictions their contracts will be terminated.

The number I have heard is that 400+ Expat Pilots have been put on LWOP at various Airlines across China.

There were some Pilots working in China on this board - can anyone clarify the situation?

I understand that an evacuation flight is being organised for Canadian citizens from Wuhan.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

There is plenty of scientific data now that sides squarely against travel bans, whether by air, or donkey cart.

Hence the WHO recommendations against closing borders.

At best travel bans only Delay the spread to other countries by only 2-4 days. Hardly worth the economic fallout that can cripple smaller economies that rely on tourism.

Canadian Health Minister appears to be following the Science on this one as she has been well briefed on the evidence and past experience in Canada.

I wish her well, as she will be pilloried either way if things don't go well.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Zerohedge is Zeroedge, in my world.

That said no one trusts data released from China in my world, either.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5455224

At least the 6th article from the CBC on third hand reports of racism since this virus came out. At least. None about the people who died from it, though.

Ok we get it. Your're obsessed CBC, with the slightest offense against visible minorities.

If some nasty comments is the worst thing that's happened in your life, suck it up. Seriously.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Tintin may have "mistakenly" let out death and infection figures 10 times higher than what the chinese authorities are saying . This also might have been a weaponized virus brought into Winnipeg from Saudi Arabia and then stolen and taken to Wuhan. Maybe it was not from the Wet ( seafood ) market in Wuhan but rather from the research facility , in which case, the authorities would KNOW how dangerous it is!

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:24 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5455224

At least the 6th article from the CBC on third hand reports of racism since this virus came out. At least. None about the people who died from it, though.

Ok we get it. Your're obsessed CBC, with the slightest offense against visible minorities.

If some nasty comments is the worst thing that's happened in your life, suck it up. Seriously.
Exactly. CBC news has become painful to watch/read.

If I chose not to eat at a Chinese restaurant these days, it would not mean I was racist.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

It took SARS almost six months to hit the 1000 dead mark. This new bug is already at 100 dead a day and it has just started .
Quarantine of 14 days may change to 28 days if it can be spread by persons without symptoms.
The arrests and forced detentions have begun , how long before " Head Shots " start ?
Smokers are more likely to get the bad version , no word on vapers yet . Might just be the face touching that happens during smoking that is skewing the stats , smokers who do not touch their faces during their smoking or touch hands getting a light ?
Those long cigarette holders may make a comeback ,
The only drawback is where will they be made :)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Covid-2019 appears to be much more virulent than SARS, although SARS thus far has a higher rate of mortality - which may change as time goes by.

But, so far at least the virus has been largely contained in China and likely will continue to be; unless of course you see widespread panic/social unrest.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:24 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5455224

Exactly. CBC news has become painful to watch/read.

If I chose not to eat at a Chinese restaurant these days, it would not mean I was racist.
I gotta side with CBC on this one and I'm glad they published the story. If people are making racist remarks against you because of your origin being related somewhat to the source of the virus, that's plain sad and insanely stupid. It's crazy that shops are losing business because of irrational fear. Thinking you'll catch the coronavirus from eating in a Canadian Chinese restaurant is plain stupid.
Why does CBC have to parrot the same stories everyone else has?

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

India's leaders have it all figured out....

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/indias ... e-covid-19

Hope this doesn't get loose there - they are not up to the job of stopping this spreading.

Indonesia is pretending this virus won't affect them - while plenty of Chinese tourists visit Bali. Again Indonesia will also be unable to cope if this virus gets loose there.

This is what happens when you re-open factories in China....

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/what-h ... rona-chaos

This isn't a short term event - this is just the beginning imho.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

They're just opinion pieces. People don't view that site as "news", do they?

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

Planespotter video from YVR of an evac flight landing for refuel before heading to Trenton for quarantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr0W7I--2QE

Will fix airplanes for food.
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm They're just opinion pieces. People don't view that site as "news", do they?
Some do, unfortunately.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

So, do you guys think the music is about to stop?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Remember, if the media are panicking and publishing "breaking news" stories all the time, then there is no reason to panick.
If the media are telling us there is no reason to panick, that's when you should start panicking.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

mixturerich wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:54 pm So, do you guys think the music is about to stop?
I hope not. But I'll start saving for that CCM Canadian Tire bike and get the Ubereats account set up! :cry:

Return to “General Comments”