Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Corona Virus

Post by dialdriver »

Who let the dogs out?
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
gettyimages-1201734669.jpg
gettyimages-1201734669.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

co-joe wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 am
mixturerich wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:12 am When I’m in the bathroom at the airport and I see like three people in a row take a piss and leave without washing their hands, I think no f*cking wonder it’s spreading so fast. People are so ignorant, lazy, and complacent about it.
Well actually unless they had oral sex with a carrier of the virus, not washing their hands (although totally gross) would make them less likely to spread it because they didn't touch the sink. :lol:
My dick is a lot cleaner then any sink in a public restroom

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

rxl wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm Rather than the “WHO proving itself totally useless” it seems to be taking a reasoned, rational approach to this. What would you have them do? Shut down global travel and commerce?
That's exactly what needs to be done imho. This is how outbreaks were handled in the past - it has proven to be an effective strategy.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana
The Flu deaths so far this year are "estimates" from the CDC.

I personally don't know anyone that has died of Flu.

South Korea is the country to watch as they appear to be completely transparent with their figures. People get sick first and death occurs later - the next 10-14 days will give a much clearer picture of the mortality rate.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Eric Janson wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 am
rxl wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm Rather than the “WHO proving itself totally useless” it seems to be taking a reasoned, rational approach to this. What would you have them do? Shut down global travel and commerce?
That's exactly what needs to be done imho. This is how outbreaks were handled in the past - it has proven to be an effective strategy.
No, an effective strategy that has been used in the past to contain outbreaks of infectious diseases are quarantines/cordon sanitaire. Thus far, the quarantines in China have actually done a lot more than some people seem to think, in containing the virus - imagine if there hadn't been any attempts at containment in China? Do you think the majority of cases would still be in China, or spread more evenly around the world?

Shutting down global travel, would requite a herculean effort of global cooperation - something that is unlikely over more pressing issues or even truly trivial ones. So, you're asking a few hundred countries that don't all get along to agree to completely stop all travel - and thus destroy the world economy? Interesting strategy...

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

United is offering paid leave for 777/787 pilots...

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airli ... aid-leave/

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

The music is officially stopping

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

People love saying that, don't they? You can be realistic, and you can be negative. Life is hard, and then you die.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Black swan event like 911 and SARs
You can be negative or positive but it won’t change things

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... onavirus/8

I think we just finished off the beans and rice that was stockpiled for Y2K and the end of the world Mayan calendar thing in 2012 .
There has to be better long shelf life foods for the bunker or at least do not taste like some hippy chicks armpit :)

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

FlyBe, a regional located in the UK just ceased operations....canary in the mine shaft?

Keep the dirty side down.
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

EPR wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 am FlyBe, a regional located in the UK just ceased operations....canary in the mine shaft?
No they have been in trouble for a long time. This was just the final nail in the coffin

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Now they’re saying the virus has a 3.4% kill rate

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

mixturerich wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:19 am Now they’re saying the virus has a 3.4% kill rate
Hmm. Who are "they"?

The more conspiratorially-minded were adamant the Chinese "must be" under-reporting their figures. But if there were vast numbers more infected with a confirmed number of deaths, that would actually mean the morbidity rate is lower.

But now they're stating the rate is 3.4%. So we're trusting the Chinese figures now.

Pick the numbers that suit you.

Got it.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

ogc wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am
EPR wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 am FlyBe, a regional located in the UK just ceased operations....canary in the mine shaft?
No they have been in trouble for a long time. This was just the final nail in the coffin
More like an excuse. All Virgin and the other buyers ever wanted were the slots at Heathrow. Coronavirus my arse.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Adiabatic »

I've been following the WHO data that comes with the daily situation reports. These are the figures i get. I'm not a professional in any way. I trust the WHO. I hope the numbers are truly accurately represented by the WHO.
I also find data here as well.
https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.58.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.58.16 PM.png (336.36 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Scientists: you should wash your hands because of Coronavirus.

People: I'm gonna stop flying, hoard masks, work from home & totally rearrange my life.

Also Scientists: the Climate Crisis will kill millions - we must use clean power & change how we get to work.

People: No way.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Currently looking at Airbnb’s in Tuscany for July. Prices dropping every day. We were planning a week, now thinking about 3 weeks

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I hear the Wuhan area has some great discounts

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 pm I hear the Wuhan area has some great discounts
The bat soup is to die for. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”