Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Corona Virus

Post by godsrcrazy »

Trudeau is isolating him and his family. Wonder if he is starting to believe this could be an issue. Took him long enough. Although he could be hiding at home so he doesnt have to face the ratholes of waiting.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... r-BB116rxR
---------- ADS -----------

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

sullecpt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am People need to put political stances aside and work together.
This should be the case in EVERY situation, on EVERY topic, ALWAYS.

Unfortunately modern humans are so focussed on our differences and individualism that the idea that we're all in this together gets lost in the divisive sensationalism of politics, religion, gender, colour, etc. We're doomed unless we can learn to stop celebrating diversity and start seeing ourselves as one species on one planet.

/rant

Will fix airplanes for food.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

It's quite obvious that Trump and global warming is the cause of all of this...

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 am It’s so interesting how people who complain about the government interfering with their lives are always the first ones wondering why they aren’t doing more.
I find it ironic, how the same people who rail about how the Chinese response was barbaric (massive quarantines), and then rail on about how Canada (specifically, always leaving out the US and elsewhere practicing self-isolation, etc.) as being pathetic.

Self isolation is basically what most normal people do when they are sick, stay at home; limit contact with "people". Apparently this is some limp wristed, "liberal" BS tactic though... We should be locking people up! Where are the camps?!?!

And then you get the conspiracy theorists who keep saying this is going to be the start of "liberal" re-education camps in North America, the Democrats are going to stage a coup, don't cooperate with fascist liberals (an interesting contradiction of terms), the end is nigh, etc...

Yes, this is bad. Yes, response efforts need to be firm to prevent further spread of the virus - but, it's already here and has been for some time now. You cannot stop the arrival of something that is already here, but you can endeavour to limit it's ability to infect large swaths of the population. Self-isolation for those with milder symptoms (or just ill in general), hospitalization for those with severe symptoms, and quarantines (or a cordon sanitaire) for areas with large numbers of cases.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

godsrcrazy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:51 am Trudeau is isolating him and his family. Wonder if he is starting to believe this could be an issue. Took him long enough. Although he could be hiding at home so he doesnt have to face the ratholes of waiting.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... r-BB116rxR
How will Canada function with the Turdmeister sitting at home with a bag of weed and a box of Corn Pops? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

What percentage of travel from the U.S.A. to Europe is essential? I am guessing less than 20%. Modern digital connectivity can easily reduce air travel, especially for business. Many phone-in radio shows are now entertaining the question of "How have your travel plans been interrupted by the viral outbreak?" First World problems. Totally. "My Mediterranean cruise and river cruise on the Danube and Rhine are cancelled!" "I took a train from Baltimore to Miami, upon arrival I was told all my water borne trips are cancelled!" Oh the outrage! Note the return trip to Maryland was by a stinking fossil fuelled jet airliner, was also cancelled. Greta fans rejoice! But my heart really does NOT go out to those first-world retirees whose plans have been cancelled. Stay at home, sit back, recline at your leisure, and watch "The Price is Right!" on your 65" UHD TV, Check your PVR, it probably has a programme regarding river cruises on the Danube. Oh, BTW, I am retired ex-pilot, in good health, and reclining.

Last edited by DadoBlade on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172cptn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 172cptn »

derateNO wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am The fact we are still flying to India, Taiwan, HK and Seoul is reckless.

Shit's blowing up across the globe. We will have a huge breakout soon, just watch.
Reckless...really?

Hong Kong and Taiwan have 131 & 49 cases respectively (Mar 12). These are probably 2 places that have essentially contained the virus with strict measures in place and minimal cases over the past few weeks. These 2 places aren’t China or South Korea....

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is closed
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 amIt was he who went on TV and said it'd all blow over in a couple of days.
That was one of the dumbest things I’d ever heard from Trump.

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

Total f*cking idiot.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

mixturerich wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm
Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 amIt was he who went on TV and said it'd all blow over in a couple of days.
That was one of the dumbest things I’d ever heard from Trump.

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

Total f*cking idiot.
From "It's Democrat's fake news" to "Travel ban" in one day :mrgreen:

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

leftoftrack wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm I hope everyone enjoys the seat they're in
Im not saying I told you so. however......

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Here in Canada short term pain for long term gain with COVID-19, I am of the view the country in general and many levels of Government( of all stripe) are doing a reasonable job despite it all. Shutting down major events is the smart thing to do as that is how virus migrates. It will pass, this isn’t the Black Plague after all. Rough spots here in Canada, you bet but shall be back to normal ops in jig time, that’s my view.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

British Airways announces route and job cuts.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I found this link interesting - it has data for all countries listed per 1mil population.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

JasonE wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:41 am I found this link interesting - it has data for all countries listed per 1mil population.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Likely underestimating USA, due to the lack of testing. Forget about cancelling flights to Europe, it's the USA that's the real problem now.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

WestJet flight attendants anticipate mass layoffs due to COVID-19

Internal memo sent to union officials says situation became 'grave' overnight as travellers rebooked
The Canadian Press · Posted: Mar 13, 2020 11:56 AM MT | Last Updated: 8 minutes ago WestJet Airlines Ltd. says its shareholders and optionholders voted to approve the proposed acquisition by Onex Corporation. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
The union representing WestJet flight attendants is expecting layoffs of more than 50 per cent of its staff as the number of flight cancellations continues to mount amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

An internal memo sent to union officials and obtained by The Canadian Press says that travellers are rebooking "in such massive numbers" that the situation became grave "overnight."

Chris Rauenbusch, president of CUPE 4070 — which represents WestJet cabin crews — says that daily conversations with senior management alerted him to the "severe" situation, which has also seen new bookings dry up.

He says that as recently as Wednesday, job reductions of only 12 per cent seemed likely.

Since then, however, the U.S. has implemented a ban on most travel from Europe; business trips, large gatherings and office commutes have dropped off; and institutions from the National Hockey League to Broadway have suspended their seasons.

Rauenbusch says one flight from Vancouver to Los Angeles this morning that had booked 150 passengers closed its doors with just 12 on board.

WestJet was not able to respond immediately to a request for comment.

On Friday, the federal government warned against all international travel and said it is limiting inbound flights as part of a series of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.

The airports that would take inbound flights were not immediately identified.

Canada's Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam confirmed that Canada is now advising against all international travel to limit the spread of the virus.

She warned that travellers could be subject to another country's travel or quarantine restrictions, and if they become sick, they could find themselves in a health care system inferior to Canada's system.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Wednesday evening that the U.S. was banning travellers from most parts of Europe, the same day the World Health Organization declared the global outbreak a pandemic.

The State Department also issued a global health advisory cautioning U.S. citizens to "reconsider travel abroad" due to COVID-19.

There are now 180 presumed or confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada. Trudeau is in self-isolation at home because his wife, Sophie, has tested positive.

In Alberta, where WestJet is based, there were 23 confirmed cases of COVID-19 by of Thursday night, all related to travel, according to Alberta's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw. There were four new cases announced Thursday, all in the Calgary health zone.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

All we can do is try to flatten the curve. This virus has killed a lot of smart people .People with better hygiene training than your average plebs.
It is a mistake to underestimate an enemy .
There is a diplomatic row developing between China and the USA over unsubstantiated accusations about the source of the virus . That could become a bigger fight than the fight against this virus. When you accuse someone of an act of war , and of crimes against humanity ,you better have Hard Irrefutable Evidence or get ready to apologize quickly and dismiss the officials who made the unproven allegations . If they do not retract and apologize it may lead to an escalation .

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Flew from the West Coast to Buenos Aires through YYZ Thursday-Friday. Plane was maybe 1/3 full. The thing that struck me was the level of screening in Argentina. Debarked one pax at a time. Initial screening on the jetway at the cabin door and then there was a whole crew in hazmat gear for another screening at the entrance to customs. Compared to that screening at the Canadian airports seemed non existent, although things could have been different on the international arrivals side.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:33 am Flew from the West Coast to Buenos Aires through YYZ Thursday-Friday. Plane was maybe 1/3 full. The thing that struck me was the level of screening in Argentina. Debarked one pax at a time. Initial screening on the jetway at the cabin door and then there was a whole crew in hazmat gear for another screening at the entrance to customs. Compared to that screening at the Canadian airports seemed non existent, although things could have been different on the international arrivals side.
Latest announcement from the Feds is they're going to restrict international flights to specific airports only. I am assuming YYZ, YVR maybe YUL and YYC? I expect to see heightened screening soon. The problem is you can be asymptomatic for a few days while being infected and contagious so the screening is only a partial solution. Self Isolation once returning home from abroad seems to be the only true way to keep yourself from infecting other if you are infected and returning to Canada. This really comes down to people "doing the right thing" and following what the guidelines are.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

AC just put everyone who sked for HK on reassignment. ICN and TPE likely to follow.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

derateNO wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:54 pm AC just put everyone who sked for HK on reassignment. ICN and TPE likely to follow.
Not surprising, expecting to see more international travel suspended. I sure hope Calin has been smart with the record profits AC's been making the last couple years.

Return to “General Comments”