Corona Virus

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Corona Virus

Post by corethatthermal »

You can talk about aviation every day of the year,,,,,,,at this time , there is more to seniority and lay-offs that are affecting the WHOLE of the aviation community ,,,,,,,Please, In all wisdom, allow the conversation to continue to help all those who seek answers and even as little as venting their concerns. Let us NOT be the Canadian version of the CCP thought police sooooo early !!!
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

shimmydampner wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:52 pm Any time now, mods....
No kidding. Mind you, they've allowed threats of doxxing, any number of the various -isms to be openly run about, circle jerks in the accident forum, multi-post spamming, etc. Why let a good thing die, now?

Pelly, if herd immunity is such a good idea for a virus of this sort - why is the Netherlands ending up with such a high per capita death rate? Shouldn't the exact opposite be occurring?

I also get a kick out of the people who feel as though any commenter that shines light on their idiocy is a member of the "thought police", or a Chinese/Communist apologist, etc. Fun stuff.

I guess this is as good a time as any to post this comic, for the umpteenth time. Credit to Randall Munroe.

The html text reads as follows:
I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

7ECA wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm
No kidding. Mind you, they've allowed threats of doxxing, any number of the various -isms to be openly run about, circle jerks in the accident forum, multi-post spamming, etc. Why let a good thing die, now?

Pelly, if herd immunity is such a good idea for a virus of this sort - why is the Netherlands ending up with such a high per capita death rate? Shouldn't the exact opposite be occurring?

I also get a kick out of the people who feel as though any commenter that shines light on their idiocy is a member of the "thought police", or a Chinese/Communist apologist, etc. Fun stuff.

I guess this is as good a time as any to post this comic, for the umpteenth time. Credit to Randall Munroe.

The html text reads as follows:
I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Wait for it...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There is no violation and people can have ideas different than yours, right or wrong it's not a crime. You should just deal with it instead of calling for their censure.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

This thread is a train wreck lol (we all knew it would be).

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Dinner's ready!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

7ECA wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm if herd immunity is such a good idea for a virus of this sort - why is the Netherlands ending up with such a high per capita death rate? Shouldn't the exact opposite be occurring?
Because the intelligent response in the Netherlands did not quarantine vulnerable people(over a certain age and people with underlying issues). Not very intelligent.

We want herd immunity for the 60% or so of the population that will have relatively few issues and get the economy going again. Many of the older quarantined can still do work remotely leading to even more of the economy returning.

Keeping 90% of the population virus free means isolation procedures for years.

Strange how many can't seem to grasp the obvious. Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable. Through government policy, of course.

Last edited by pelmet on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 pm Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable.
Go away. Honestly, screw you man. I’m non-vulnerable but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t potentially die from it. I’m not taking my chances on your behalf.

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 pm
7ECA wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm if herd immunity is such a good idea for a virus of this sort - why is the Netherlands ending up with such a high per capita death rate? Shouldn't the exact opposite be occurring?
Because the intelligent response in the Netherlands did not quarantine vulnerable people(over a certain age and people with underlying issues). Not very intelligent.

We want herd immunity for the 60% or so of the population that will have relatively few issues and get the economy going again. Many of the older quarantined can still do work remotely leading to even more of the economy returning.

Strange how many can't seem to grasp the obvious. Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable.
How does herd immunity work out with a quickly mutating RNA virus? Clearly a virology expert here.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I love theatre as much as anyone especially comedies. I’d pay money to watch a live performance of internet troll debating an actual infectious disease expert on containment strategies. But right now in the middle of a deadly global pandemic the most appropriate message seems to be - just shut up and do as you’re being asked. Plenty of time to be a know-it-all asshole later.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

propfeather wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:00 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Strange how many can't seem to grasp the obvious. Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable.
How does herd immunity work out with a quickly mutating RNA virus? Clearly a virology expert here.
If this link is accurate, you questions are answered in an interesting and easy to understand format....

Good news.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... t-deadlier
Rockie wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:35 am I love theatre as much as anyone especially comedies. I’d pay money to watch a live performance of internet troll debating an actual infectious disease expert on containment strategies.
You mean I could tell Dr. Tam the advantages of wearing a face mask and other blatantly obvious things like that.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well at least you recognize yourself as an internet troll Pelmet. Likely the one thing you genuinely are qualified at but not at all useful to society especially now.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 am Well at least you recognize yourself as an internet troll Pelmet. Likely the one thing you genuinely are qualified at but not at all useful to society especially now.
Rockie wins the argument with insults again.

Let me be clear folks.....I am not advocating that anyone not follow our social distancing rules. I recommend following them and do so myself. What I advocate is a change of government policy that protects the vulnerable(and the concerned such as an earlier poster who is concerned he could die) while saving our economy.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

So is your position that they are unaware of your suggestions and don’t understand the science as well as you do? Or do they know about it and choose another path for political reasons? Or something else?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

pelmet wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 am Let me be clear folks.....I am not advocating that anyone not follow our social distancing rules. I recommend following them and do so myself. What I advocate is a change of government policy that protects the vulnerable(and the concerned such as an earlier poster who is concerned he could die) while saving our economy.
I would say that you have in fact advocated non-compliance with social distancing right here-

To quote pelmet from an earlier posting in this thread-
“Strange how many can't seem to grasp the obvious. Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable“

How do you know who the non-vulnerable truly are? Otherwise healthy 20, 30 and 40 year olds have succumbed or become seriously ill from this thing.
A healthy discussion is one thing, but you’ve taken this too far.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:13 pm Image

Dinner's ready!
Perfect.

Your posts are always right on!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

BTD wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 am So is your position that they are unaware of your suggestions and don’t understand the science as well as you do? Or do they know about it and choose another path for political reasons? Or something else?
I really can't tell you if 'they' (I will assume this to be the politicians in power in Canada) are aware of my or similar suggestions. But, I had not seen any similar ideas when I first came up with the idea.

I think we have a PM who is determined to use his diversity agenda and to say that he has lost confidence in certain people would go against that belief. I highly doubt that the PM and most if not all of the elected politicians have any more knowledge about infectious diseases than the average person.

We hear this repeated 'Trust the science' mantra over and over. Well, in many ways I do but when the scientists(who by the way, will have differing opinions) keep getting proven wrong, it makes it difficult. Masks not needed to prevent spread...trust the science. Wait a minute, that sounds stupid. Weeks later...wear masks to prevent spread. No evidence of human to human spread according to the WHO on Jan 14. Trust the science. Later on, it turns out to be highly contagious. Borders need not be closed...trust the science of the World Health Organization. Later on...close the borders to prevent all these outside people from infected areas coming in. Isn't that obvious. Don't avoid areas likely to have many travellers from infected areas as it means you are racist, Trust the science.

What about common sense.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rxl wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:28 am
pelmet wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 am Let me be clear folks.....I am not advocating that anyone not follow our social distancing rules. I recommend following them and do so myself. What I advocate is a change of government policy that protects the vulnerable(and the concerned such as an earlier poster who is concerned he could die) while saving our economy.
I would say that you have in fact advocated non-compliance with social distancing right here-

To quote pelmet from an earlier posting in this thread-
“Strange how many can't seem to grasp the obvious. Spread the virus....but only to the non-vulnerable“

How do you know who the non-vulnerable truly are? Otherwise healthy 20, 30 and 40 year olds have succumbed or become seriously ill from this thing.
A healthy discussion is one thing, but you’ve taken this too far.
I don't think so. It is the government policy that should be implemented as you can see in my first post calling for a quarantine which can only be implemented by the government. Further posts are an extension of that discussion point. And yes, there will be a very few healthy people who die. Just like in car accidents and the flu.

Like many, I have elderly parents requiring special care and have been trying to ensure that any risk is minimized when in fact, they don't seem to be as careful as they should be. As far as I'm concerned, the faster the low-risk rest of society becomes immune, the lower the risk.

Anyways, thanks for your input. Until there is a policy change, follow the rules as they are law. But, always be willing to look at other alternatives. There is nothing wrong with discussing them. It will be interesting to see how the future policy changes.

Last edited by pelmet on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Well reasoned responses Pelmet.

Tough crowd.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 am Well reasoned responses Pelmet.

Tough crowd.
As you well know...I'm used to that.

Keep calm and wash your hands.

Return to “General Comments”