Ennadai Lake Aeradio

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ennadai Lake Aeradio

Post by oldtimer »

Back in the early "70's I did a couple of ad-hoc resupply trips to ENNADAi LAKE where there was I do believe a weather reporting station and an Aeradio station. Chiupka Airways supposedly bought their Canso primarily to service Ennadai Lake but by the time I arrived in Lynn Lake, the service was gone, the Canso was no longer there and the company was bought out and became CALM AIR. Does anyone remember this place and I wonder what ever happened to it.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ennadai Lake Aeradio

Post by FurHat »

There is a hunting/fishing/wilderness lodge there now. I have never been but I know Skyward was operating charters there 15 years or so ago out of Thompson. Not sure who flies there now.

https://www.audleytravel.com/canada/acc ... ness-lodge

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

I believe Air Tindi has taken the DHC7 in there a few times in the last few years.

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

I went there once in the 206 with Skyward. Landed on an esker strip at the south end of the lake with a part for the lodge.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

I started in Aeradio in 81’ Ennadai Lake was closed then but I don’t think it had been closed long, I Worked with a couple guys who had been stationed there.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

I don’t believe the new lodge and the old w/x station are in the same location .... it is of course derilec

I can tellyou that the crawler tractor that was there was walked out Over the winter ice to A lake south east of Kasba.... it went through the ice on The trip out but that’s a whole other story.... it was recovered and built a strip at the lodge and is there to this day!!

Eater

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

Here’s a link to an article on the origins of the station. http://www.rcsigs.ca/index.php/Ennadai_ ... _Y_station

MAD DOGGY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MAD DOGGY »

That weather station on the NE side of the lake was dismantled in the winter of 2015 and hauled out by cat train to Baker Lake.
I was in there a couple times with a Twin Otter out of Stony Rapids for crew changes and grocery runs. It was cold lol.

Man up to it ; Git 'r Dun !
ShakyJake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShakyJake »

In the late 60s I flew into Ennadai doing crew changes, medevacs, and supply runs for Chiupka Airways. Spent two nights there waiting out a bad snow storm. Had a great dart game going until the cook decided that we were making too much noise and won the game using his meat cleaver.
We had a fuel cash at the station which kept disappearing. Fred blamed the Lamb Air boys. Not sure about that, but maybe someone on the forum has information on that.

Return to “General Comments”