Private Pilot and Ultralight Time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

highupabove
Rank 0
Rank 0

Private Pilot and Ultralight Time

Post by highupabove »

I recently begun flying an advanced ultralight and have been logging this time seperately. However, after some thinking, I became unsure what this time counts as. I have considered this simply UL time, but as I am flying the AULA under privilege of my PPL, does it count as SEP PIC time? I have checked the CARs but I am not quite sure how to interpret it. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Helno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Private Pilot and Ultralight Time

Post by Helno »

I just logged it as PIC time. In order to fly it you need a license that allows for it and I was using my existing PPL to meet that.

The type of aircraft is written in my log books and the hours can easily be determined if there is any question about it.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Just have a means of separating that time later if you need to and in the meantime just keep flying.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

When I got to 50 hours of PIC I just stopped logging it for TC but kept logging it towards total time. Not sure what the allowable hours are now but back them 50 pic counted towards the atpl. Its a load of crap really. it has an engine, a propeller, and controls for 3 axis. It's an aeroplane, so what if it only weighs 1200 lbs?

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

Depend if you think to go on commercial license later as the CPL will required flight time on airplane, not AULA.

If you stick with your PPL, it do not really matter

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

co-joe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:44 pm When I got to 50 hours of PIC I just stopped logging it for TC but kept logging it towards total time. Not sure what the allowable hours are now but back them 50 pic counted towards the atpl. Its a load of crap really. it has an engine, a propeller, and controls for 3 axis. It's an aeroplane, so what if it only weighs 1200 lbs?
That's only 400 lbs lighter than a Cessna 150 after all

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

co-joe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:44 pm When I got to 50 hours of PIC I just stopped logging it for TC but kept logging it towards total time. Not sure what the allowable hours are now but back them 50 pic counted towards the atpl. Its a load of crap really. it has an engine, a propeller, and controls for 3 axis. It's an aeroplane, so what if it only weighs 1200 lbs?
Sorry but still trying to make this PIC logging time a bit more clear, my apologies.
Forget about the credits towards the PPL and CPL and the rest of them, whether you flew a 152 or advanced ultralight can I log the PIC time towards “total time”?

These airplanes are very identical in size and shape and speed.

Thank you in advance

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

lidi wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:48 pm
Sorry but still trying to make this PIC logging time a bit more clear, my apologies.
Forget about the credits towards the PPL and CPL and the rest of them, whether you flew a 152 or advanced ultralight can I log the PIC time towards “total time”?

These airplanes are very identical in size and shape and speed.

Thank you in advance
Yes as far as I'm concerned, advanced ultralight time can be logged towards total time for your resume. Personally I would de-emphasise it when applying for jobs and put it all under the piston single category. Be aware that not all people will value it the same as a certified aircraft so personally I wouldn't even mention it unless you have to and then make sure to emphasise the the high skill required to fly an ultralight and live through it.

Now when it comes to Transport Canada the answer is very different. When you fill out the form to apply for a license with TC you can only log 50 hours of PIC towards the ATPL period. That's it. Any other time you log doesn't exist to them and if you include it in your total time you risk having your application denied.

Make sense?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:56 pm Now when it comes to Transport Canada the answer is very different. When you fill out the form to apply for a license with TC you can only log 50 hours of PIC towards the ATPL period. That's it. Any other time you log doesn't exist to them and if you include it in your total time you risk having your application denied.
This matters to somebody thinking of applying for a higher license, which is not everybody. But there is another place it matters a lot for a private pilot. If TC doesn't consider it 'time', then neither will an insurance company.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goldeneagle wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:47 pm If TC doesn't consider it 'time', then neither will an insurance company.
That’s a very bold statement that I don’t think is well founded in fact.

It would be worth making it clear of course if you ever apply for insurance.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

Crazy! The same advanced ultralight type like the Flight Design CTsw here in Canada down in the US it’s used to train commercial licences!

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Helno wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am I just logged it as PIC time. In order to fly it you need a license that allows for it and I was using my existing PPL to meet that.

The type of aircraft is written in my log books and the hours can easily be determined if there is any question about it.
I have access to an advanced ultralight not your basic ultralight that doesn’t have a radio . I can fly an advanced ultralight that is better equipped than a 152 with all the radios and transponder that allows me to fly in any control zone. My question is because it’s cheap to operate does flying it count towards my “total pic time”?.

I’ve flown it in a control zone and it’s a nice spacious plane. So will these hours count towards my total time? Your thoughts, again it’s not your basic ultralight but an advanced ultralight with coms and transponder.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ellinas wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:21 pm My question is because it’s cheap to operate does flying it count towards my “total pic time”?.

I’ve flown it in a control zone and it’s a nice spacious plane. So will these hours count towards my total time?
Once again, and it’s the same answer no matter how many times the question is asked, there’s no such single thing as your “total time”. So whether ultralight time counts towards your “total time” depends on who wants to know what your “total time” is, and whether they want to count ultralight time as part of it. Whether it’s cheap time or expensive time is irrelevant.

If it’s Transport Canada asking, for the purposes of granting you a licence, then we’ve already covered how much ultralight time counts towards your “total time”, and the answer is, “not much”.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

photofly wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:45 pm
ellinas wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:21 pm My question is because it’s cheap to operate does flying it count towards my “total pic time”?.

I’ve flown it in a control zone and it’s a nice spacious plane. So will these hours count towards my total time?
Once again, and it’s the same answer no matter how many times the question is asked, there’s no such single thing as your “total time”. So whether ultralight time counts towards your “total time” depends on who wants to know what your “total time” is, and whether they want to count ultralight time as part of it. Whether it’s cheap time or expensive time is irrelevant.

If it’s Transport Canada asking, for the purposes of granting you a licence, then we’ve already covered how much ultralight time counts towards your “total time”, and the answer is, “not much”.
According to TC 50 hours towards the ATPL will work so I can at least do that then pull out. It’s too bad as this plane I’ve flown flies and is equipped like a 172.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!

Return to “General Comments”