2 on 2 off with flight deals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PersonPersonson
Rank 1
Rank 1

2 on 2 off with flight deals

Post by PersonPersonson »

Hello!

I am wondering what my options are for a decent 703 company which offers a 2 on 2 off schedule with flight deals. I have always wanted this so that I have the opportunity to travel the world on my days off. Thought I would ask on here to get ideas about companies that I may not have considered. I would be looking for a captain position.

Any other pilots take advantage of a situation like this and travel on their weeks off regularly???

I figure that I better do this while I am young with no real commitments. And maybe after a couple years of travel I will be ready to start a "regular" schedule.
---------- ADS -----------

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 2 on 2 off with flight deals

Post by ehv8oar »

Best one for 2 on 2 off with flight passes would probably be Wasaya out of Thunder Bay or Sioux Lookout.

WaldoPepper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WaldoPepper »

100% Wasaya.
Caravan if you want 703
1900 Sioux
Dash8 freight out of Pickle.

Good contract / benefits

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ Do they pay your commute, or are you on the hook for it?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

New contract that just got ratified at Wasaya has rotation for all captain positions at all bases except for Dash in YQT.
FO’s on the dash and hawker in YPL also have rotation.

Free company travel within the Wasaya network. Jump seat agreements with AC, WJ, Porter, Bearskin, Perimeter, and a bunch more.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

In the real world there is no such thing as 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. You lose 2 days for travel so it's 16 and 12 and I doubt if many pay hotel rooms if you need them on a commute. Try and travel the world with 12 days off and buying tickets in advance can cost you if for whatever operational you end up not escaping on the day you expected. I commuted for many years and I have to say it's the commute that eventually wears pretty thin.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

If you really want to travel look for something with a longer rotation time. One of my friends worked 2 months on 2 off at Voyageur. He was basically homeless while he was there. Traveled all over the planet on his time off.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Inuvik base at Kenn Borek was 2 on 2 off. Free food, gym, vehicle (shared). it was a great gig.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Air Tindi recently had a job ad up for rotational King Air captains, 2 on/off.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I must say if you want to rotate the longer the rotations the better as indicated above. Married and/or in a relationship makes it more difficult. Rotations are best for young and single or old and don't have the pressure from home. I always tried for 3 week rotations to the Arctic and that worked out the best for travel and sufficient time off but the new regs screwed that up and most companies don't want to allow you to reset for obvious reasons.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I must say if you want to rotate the longer the rotations the better as indicated above. Married and/or in a relationship makes it more difficult. Rotations are best for young and single or old and don't have the pressure from home. I always tried for 3 week rotations to the Arctic and that worked out the best for travel and sufficient time off but the new regs screwed that up and most companies don't want to allow you to reset for obvious reasons.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

I believe any city you want to visit in the world is best done over 7 days. 1 day to get there, 1 day to get over any jet lag, 3 days exploring (enough time to see most things without running out of places to go to), 1 day to get back and 1 day to prepare yourself for working again. So a 2 week on, 2 week off schedule would be great for me too.

I have a couple of buddies who work at Wasaya (1 in YQT and 1 in YXL) and they both have good things to say about the place.

Back Course
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back Course »

Keewatin Air is 2wk on 2wk off. You'd be based in NU, or NWT. They have King Airs and a couple Lear Jets.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

Back Course wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:45 pm Keewatin Air is 2wk on 2wk off. You'd be based in NU, or NWT. They have King Airs and a couple Lear Jets.
Updated fleet:

17 or so King Airs, 1 PC-12, 2 citations (with 3 or 4 more coming into operation soon).

KA used primarily for medevacs in NU & NWT, some are used for Manitoba Justice charters.
Citations primarily run medevacs to bigger cities, i.e. YOW, YYC, YWG, YUL, YYZ, YEG.
PC-12 used for both medevacs & charters - medevacs always a priority.

All positions require you to sign a training bond.

Crew bases in YWG, YZF, YCB, YRT, YYQ, YTH, YFB & YGT.

Rotational schedule (2 on - 2 off) with paid travel to & from anywhere in Canada, accommodation, per diems for the 2 weeks on.

Pay scale upgraded recently with new contract (DM me for numbers).

One of the better 703/704 operators in the country in my opinion even though they've been talked about negatively on this board in the past, but that's just avcanada right? Only 20% of information here is any good.

MrA

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I know lear drivers who jumped because of how the rotations were handled, maybe they have improved but they have established that rep in the past.

pecessix
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pecessix »

I'm curious about the last Keewatin pay scale. It was still pretty low about a year ago. It's good if they finally raised it!

Return to “General Comments”