TC medical fee

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

TC medical fee

Post by rotorspeed »

I know this has been covered but couldn't find exact answer on search. Evrytime you get a medical does Transport charge you the fee or is it only if you get the stcker?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: TC medical fee

Post by digits_ »

Every time

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Careful, they may or may not send you a bill. If they don't send it to you, they'll send it to the CRA without making and effort to contact you with your phone number or email on file.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I've been waiting 8 months, no bill yet, nor is it even listed as renewed on the TC General Aviation Online account. Can't pay if they don't bill me!

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I've never paid it. Sometimes it is stolen from my taxes. Sometimes it goes to collections, but they don't actually have any authority to collect and if you call them on it it goes away. I'm still waiting on an explanation as to what this fee is for. My doctor does all the paperwork.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Where and how are you suppose to pay that fee? I never paid that fee since I got a medical...

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshiscool26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joshiscool26 »

They wouldn't issue my last PPC until it was paid.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

joshiscool26 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am They wouldn't issue my last PPC until it was paid.
TC doesn't issue PPCs.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

TSAM wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 am
Cessna 180 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:34 pm I've been waiting 8 months, no bill yet, nor is it even listed as renewed on the TC General Aviation Online account. Can't pay if they don't bill me!
This happened once after 6 mths. I was applying for a new job and wanted to make sure everything was in order. Turned out they didn't receive my medical file from doctor. Called doctor, he claimed he did submit and then resubmitted, and I trust him over the goons at TC, especially Ontario region.
Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:39 am I've never paid it. Sometimes it is stolen from my taxes. Sometimes it goes to collections, but they don't actually have any authority to collect and if you call them on it it goes away. I'm still waiting on an explanation as to what this fee is for. My doctor does all the paperwork.
How's your credit rating if it's getting dinged by collections?
Credit rating is not affected by this fee. Twice over the years I've had this conversation:
Hello, we are calling from X agency regarding your debt to TC.
What happens if I don't pay you
We don't have any grounds for followup
Have a nice day.

And then the amount owing resets to zero. As I said, sometimes they withheld it on my income tax return but I'm not going to make it easy for them to steal my money under the guise of a service they haven't provided in 15 years.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
joshiscool26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joshiscool26 »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:57 pm
joshiscool26 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am They wouldn't issue my last PPC until it was paid.
TC doesn't issue PPCs.
Ok let me re-phrase. They wouldn’t issue me my PPC sticker to let me fly past 90 days until it was paid.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

My medical from October isn't showing up yet on my TC login either. Waiting for the bill....

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pecessix
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pecessix »

I just received a mail from CRA about a debt I own to Transport Canada. I wonder what it could be... ;)

I never received any bill this time. The previous years, I would get a bill via email.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I think if the fee was a legit amount and actually used for something reasonable, nobody would have a problem paying it. $55 every year for what amounts to some guy making one mouse click on a computer screen seems excessive.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Just because you don't know what TC does when you renew your medical, doesn't mean they're not doing something when you renew your medical.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

AirFrame wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 am Just because you don't know what TC does when you renew your medical, doesn't mean they're not doing something when you renew your medical.
What are they doing then? The fee didn't change when AIP amendments stopped being sent out.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 am What are they doing then? The fee didn't change when AIP amendments stopped being sent out.
I can say with certainty they do more than 'a click of a mouse'. I have on two occaisions had letters of follow up from tc medical folks after my medical. Once it was for a blood pressure anaomoly, and was well explained. It's not about wether blood pressure is low or it's high, it's about 'did something drastic change since the last one 6 months ago ?'. In that particular case, answer was kinda funny, my regular doc was unavailable so I had booked a last minute medical at another place. When I got there, snow everywhere, no place to park, and I was running late. I ended up parking 4 blocks away and running to the office. First thing in thru the door they took my blood pressure and wrote down heart rate. Needless to say, numbers were nowhere near normal. The follow up on that one, I had to have BP taken a number of times on successive days by my regular doc.

Had another time some years later, wont get into details other than to say somebody definitely took some time looking at the reports, and decided on follow up.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 am
AirFrame wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 am Just because you don't know what TC does when you renew your medical, doesn't mean they're not doing something when you renew your medical.
What are they doing then? The fee didn't change when AIP amendments stopped being sent out.
I often wonder what the hell my taxes are going to, I still pay them though.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

TC doesn't work for pilots. They work to protect the general public from said pilots. Yet pilots have to partially fund its operation. Not ideal, but it could be much worse.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”