Offering Flights with a PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Offering Flights with a PPL

Post by Bede »

lownslow wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 am Okay, but like what if I charge a couple hundred bucks for a sweet coffee mug or something and as thanks I throw in a free flight to wherever you want to go?
Oh in that case it's totally legal. What a creative solution. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

I read a “business insider” issue I think it was. People think this is totally legit to do in the air. I won’t ride in an Uber anything. Underground cabs is all they are.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Tanker299 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:08 pm I read a “business insider” issue I think it was. People think this is totally legit to do in the air. I won’t ride in an Uber anything. Underground cabs is all they are.
You don’t know what you’re missing. I’ve used Uber all across North America and have found the cars to be cleaner, the drivers to be friendlier and the overall experience very positive. In most taxis, I just feel like I’m an inconvenience in the driver’s day and the car makes me think I’m probably sitting in the residue of some drunk’s vomit.

FWIW, in British Columbia, ride hailing services require a business license and the driver needs the same class of license as a cab driver.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:23 pm
Tanker299 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:08 pm I read a “business insider” issue I think it was. People think this is totally legit to do in the air. I won’t ride in an Uber anything. Underground cabs is all they are.
You don’t know what you’re missing. I’ve used Uber all across North America and have found the cars to be cleaner, the drivers to be friendlier and the overall experience very positive. In most taxis, I just feel like I’m an inconvenience in the driver’s day and the car makes me think I’m probably sitting in the residue of some drunk’s vomit.
Completely agreed! Not to forget the ease of payment: no need to deal with the rolling eyes if you want to pay a 10 dollar trip with a credit card, no need to look for cash money. You know exactly where the driver is and how long it will be before he arrives. If you call for a taxi, they'll always be there in "5 to 10 minutes"...

I was very reluctant to try it, and I do feel bad when I hear what percentage of the fee goes to the drivers, but the service and quality of the ride is often impeccable. A taxi should be able to reach the same level of service. If they don't, I can only blame the taxi companies for missing the boat.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Bede wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:49 pm
lownslow wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 am Okay, but like what if I charge a couple hundred bucks for a sweet coffee mug or something and as thanks I throw in a free flight to wherever you want to go?
Oh in that case it's totally legal. What a creative solution. :roll:
I knew you’d see my genius.

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

The same would be true if I flew people in my private king air toy. The Airlines have missed the mark.... Air Taxis too. It’s those little things... Like insurance, a company that is local to sue, a driver with the proper licence and medical etc. Most cabbies don’t own their car and if they do even fewer own their cab plate. The Toronto medallion was supposed to stop that but hey it’s like 100 grand or something stupid. Your chances of being hurt on the road vs in some guys private plane are significantly more.CYA.

Return to “General Comments”