Favourite Type

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Favourite Type

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lownslow wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 pm I wish I could fit into an S-1
If I ever cram myself into one I expect it will be through pure force of will and determination only.
My sentiment exactly.
---------- ADS -----------

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

For the pure fun of flying, SuperCub (flew 135, 150 and 180hp).

Versatility, MU2 (in and out of 3500' gravel strips or large intl airports, trues out at 290 knots at altitude and can operate anywhere between 250 and 120 KIAS in the terminal area, and, of course, tip tanks are cool).

Jet airliner, B757 (takeoffs are spectacular, lands and stops nicely, and hand flies beautifully).

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

Although the S.E.A.T. I presently have the pleasure of operating is possibly the best aviation job I’ll ever experience, flying my Dad’s Super Cub was my favourite. Hands down. As close as I could get to pure flying in a G.A. aircraft.
Everyone should fly a cub.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Even though I can only count a short time flying it, the Stearman will always be the favorite entry in the logbook. There's nothing better than flying an open cockpit bi-plane on a sunny day.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 am I think as much as the 1900 was amazing.....
When you start to push the machine off strip, that's when it really shines.
I've got to know what constitutes off strip in a 1900.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Favourite Jet: toss-up between F-86 and F-5
Favourite turboprop: Rockwell Commander 1000
Favourite piston: Any of Van's RVs (Fly RV-7A at present)
Favourite helicopter: Probably AStar...

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 am I think as much as the 1900 was amazing.....
3000 feet of gravel. ;)

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:42 am
3000 feet of gravel. ;)
"Off strip" :lol:

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Why would you take a 1900 beyond gravel? Thats what twotters are for :wink:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Mostly short tight gravel, never got to do grass. Couple mines we went into in the Yukon had runways carved (blasted) out of the mountain. It may not be sandy or grassy but it's difficult with the WATS to do a whole helluva lot more with it.

I'm jealous of the guys buzzing around on youtube with their cubs and kitfoxes landing on these 600' 8500' elevated plateaus in the western US. Looks like a ton of fun.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

propfeather wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 am
iflyforpie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:42 am
3000 feet of gravel. ;)
"Off strip" :lol:
AirportCoffee wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:23 pm Why would you take a 1900 beyond gravel? Thats what twotters are for :wink:
I guess the off strip comment came off a little grandiose :lol: considering guys in Twotters are landing on icebergs, having a smoke, then filling up out of drums and getting out of dodge. That is the truest sense of off strip.

I find the 1900 when used primarily in its airline role for any of the major feeders, provides for a very boring and stressful experience, going pavement to pavement. But to try and land on the side of a mountain (not in the paved valley :P) or onto an ice strip, or into some very tight & short gravel strips at night where you're running numbers, maxing your WATS and scraping the treeline on the way out, that's where the fun is in the 1900. Very capable machine. Never did Africa, I hear that was exciting, but in the less fun way.

I wouldn't go back and fly it today, it was very fun while it lasted. Wonderful experience.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

To be fair, it’s a lot like “off-roading”. Sure in the desert or the tundra you can do it but if you’re talking about “off roading” in a place like BC you’re probably doing it on a road or some other rough but prepared surface. Unless you’re doing rock crawling or mud bogging likely not to get anywhere in particular but just because you can as low clearance vehicles drive by within metres.

It’s like these water assisted landings and takeoffs. Really? Like, it’s cool that you can do it and all... but I see zero application in the real world since there’s probably a larger sand or gravel bar within 30 seconds of flight time and 10-20 minutes of walking, wading, or a bit of bushwhacking if you absolutely had to get to that specific address.

It’s for people who want to “play” at being bush pilots, not for serious work.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:02 pm To be fair, it’s a lot like “off-roading”. Sure in the desert or the tundra you can do it but if you’re talking about “off roading” in a place like BC you’re probably doing it on a road or some other rough but prepared surface. Unless you’re doing rock crawling or mud bogging likely not to get anywhere in particular but just because you can as low clearance vehicles drive by within metres.

It’s like these water assisted landings and takeoffs. Really? Like, it’s cool that you can do it and all... but I see zero application in the real world since there’s probably a larger sand or gravel bar within 30 seconds of flight time and 10-20 minutes of walking, wading, or a bit of bushwhacking if you absolutely had to get to that specific address.

It’s for people who want to “play” at being bush pilots, not for serious work.
Lol "You mean that dirt road I take my X5 on going to the cottage isn't off-roading?"

"...No sir"

🙃 gotcha pie.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

pilatus 12. come out of a sand 1900 ft strip 25 min later flt level250 250tknt. exceptional versitility.it can hold ifr alt 800 miles away. the dhc6 pics pax off of 600 ft eskers and drops them at a rough gravel spot. the 12 will take over from there.
Boeing 737 200. as a kid flying into ycg it shook the whole valley on takeoff.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Lol... the title is “favourite type”.

What did you think was going to happen?

Pilots scream for validation perhaps louder than any group in existence and anything less than complete and total agreement is seen as an attack.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Mapleflt wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm So we've gone from "favorite airplane" to dick swing, another epic AvCanada thread drift
More like "helicoptering" when you get good at it.

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

My favourite type of airplane is the one I am in . Why because it is in the air Cheers

Return to “General Comments”