North Star Air - Ground to Flight Line

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

North Star Air - Ground to Flight Line

Post by 5 And Below »

Hi all,

I am looking for a first job in the industry. I am highly considering NSA as a first option. I do not mind hard work or long days at all..... just looking to get a sense of what the company is like, safety and flight ops.

Any comments would be great.

Thanks everyone!
---------- ADS -----------

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: North Star Air - Ground to Flight Line

Post by Dash.Trash »

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

If you don't mind a little isolation and a company that is slowly pulling its self into the 21st century you will get rewarded for hard work and shitty wages and such. Yes they have had a cpl accidents but 2 were the same guy which likely is a factor of bad luck as well as pulling on the cboy boots but to judge from a topic redirect is ridiculous. I worked there from the DC3 conception and while it's been over a year since I last did some contract work there the drivers are safe and conscientious. The company has gone through enormous growing pains and knowing a few of the guys working to fix the issues it will come.

The other thing to consider is that jobs will be very difficult to come by here with all the covid-19 which will be short term but if the economy downturns we could be slipping towards the inevitable trough in the job cycle. Furloughs will follow and short timers will find themselves on the street.

If you are good for a little isolation and play your cards right you could get a right seat in the dc3 as your first flying job and that is great experience. There are, surprisingly enough, several lifers there and stability does come with that. Northwestern Ontario and northern Manitoba are just about 20 years behind in aviation. I left about 35 years ago to fly in the Arctic and came back after retirement and was totally shocked how things had not changed that much. -- damn !! -- but the area has turned out many successful pilots.

To go in at a swamper, pilot wantabe level has very little risk and if you don't like what you see just pack it in but if what you say about yourself is true I think you might just enjoy it.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

valleyboy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 pm If you don't mind a little isolation and a company that is slowly pulling its self into the 21st century you will get rewarded for hard work and shitty wages and such. Yes they have had a cpl accidents but 2 were the same guy which likely is a factor of bad luck as well as pulling on the cboy boots but to judge from a topic redirect is ridiculous. I worked there from the DC3 conception and while it's been over a year since I last did some contract work there the drivers are safe and conscientious. The company has gone through enormous growing pains and knowing a few of the guys working to fix the issues it will come.

The other thing to consider is that jobs will be very difficult to come by here with all the covid-19 which will be short term but if the economy downturns we could be slipping towards the inevitable trough in the job cycle. Furloughs will follow and short timers will find themselves on the street.

If you are good for a little isolation and play your cards right you could get a right seat in the dc3 as your first flying job and that is great experience. There are, surprisingly enough, several lifers there and stability does come with that. Northwestern Ontario and northern Manitoba are just about 20 years behind in aviation. I left about 35 years ago to fly in the Arctic and came back after retirement and was totally shocked how things had not changed that much. -- damn !! -- but the area has turned out many successful pilots.

To go in at a swamper, pilot wantabe level has very little risk and if you don't like what you see just pack it in but if what you say about yourself is true I think you might just enjoy it.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

valleyboy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 pm If you don't mind a little isolation and a company that is slowly pulling its self into the 21st century you will get rewarded for hard work and shitty wages and such.
I thought GOOD wages were supposed to be the reward for isolation and hard work.
Do your homework before you sign up for NSA. From what I understand, as an FO you can expect to: 1) sign a three year bond, 2) not have your accommodations provided when on rotation and 3) not have your rotational travel paid for to and from your base. Number 1 should be a non starter for anyone. Numbers 2 and 3 are beyond the pale for a company allegedly offering a rotational job. If you want to fly a Basler, great. Why not go do so for Borek? You'll get to avoid issues 1-3 plus you'll get the chance to do more interesting work than hauling pop and chips to Red Sucker Lake all day every day.
Not that NSA doesn't offer the chance at adventure; you never know when you'll have to hike, snowshoe or swim home from work!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Not that NSA doesn't offer the chance at adventure; you never know when you'll have to hike, snowshoe or swim home from work!
Grinding axes -- oh my -- like I said lots of good people there and the winds of change are blowing.

OK, my bad, coming from a different generation. I entered aviation when there were no jobs and to find one was all that mattered. I left home to start my career and didn't return for over 2 years. I know things are different now but when the impact of all these 800 to 5000 hour pilots who might find themselves on the street being up north will look pretty good. Dealing with bonds with no flying experience one needs to look where they would be in 2 years without the bond. The trap is where guys get impatient and sign a new bond because of that command seat. I don't like bonds but the pilot group lead to the creation and now one needs to make the choice to whether you sign or look for work else where. Some times we just need to eat a little crow and get figure nails dirty to get what we want.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:28 am Grinding axes -- oh my -- like I said lots of good people there and the winds of change are blowing.

OK, my bad, coming from a different generation. I entered aviation when there were no jobs and to find one was all that mattered. I left home to start my career and didn't return for over 2 years.
That's great, and I can relate to that, but it's not relevant. I'm not grinding an axe and I have no problem with going to the end of the road to work hard for an employer that will treat you fairly. Neither do I have a problem with a fair, reasonable bond. But let's be honest, a three year bond is not reasonable, nor is a company luring low time pilots with the promise of a "rotational" job but not covering their travel or accommodations when on shift, fair. Especially when the same does not apply to captains. It's quite clear that they are blatantly taking advantage of pilots with no experience, in order to save a few bucks. THAT'S what I disagree with. Not only do you need a set of spurs to work there, but if you have no experience you better have ass-less chaps as well.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Things have changed then, it was always 2 years but as I indicated the bad part was bonding for each type of upgrade and that is just wrong but a 2 year bond and 1200 hrs dc 3 time and then bail. I never advised guys to get into multiple bonds. If there is a real down turn in the industry bonds will be mute.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

You also have to look at the fact that the ATR is also an option. It's not all Basler and Pilatus there.

OP can PM me if he wants more info on that side of things.

Return to “General Comments”