Who's gotten a lay off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Who's gotten a lay off?

Post by Old fella »

vermont wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:58 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 pm
vermont wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:29 am I've been warning on this a long time.

A broken clock is right 2x a day!
Child, go back to your parents basement.
Make better insults? GTA home owner here!
It's pretty funny seeing all the wackjobs I've met claiming they predicted this, despite predicting "this" every year for the past 20+ years
I survived the 1980-82 fiasco , had a house,wife and kid. It always bounces back in some form and no doubt will now at some point. Even the massive crash late ‘20s was saved, sadly by WW2.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Longview Aviation, also known as the new De Havilland Canada and Viking; has announced it is temporarily ceasing production of the Twin Otter 400 Series and Q400, laying off all staff.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

7ECA wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am Longview Aviation, also known as the new De Havilland Canada and Viking; has announced it is temporarily ceasing production of the Twin Otter 400 Series and Q400, laying off all staff.
Must be another rich scumball screwing over their employees. Isn't that what everyone thinks?

Sarcasm --

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 am Must be another rich scumball screwing over their employees. Isn't that what everyone thinks?

Sarcasm --
Might be time to take a break from the forums for a few days, again, eh?

iamthecaptainnow13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamthecaptainnow13 »

Stay on the subject guys. If you want to throw petty insults and act like children exchange each other's facebook contacts. jeez

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 am
7ECA wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am Longview Aviation, also known as the new De Havilland Canada and Viking; has announced it is temporarily ceasing production of the Twin Otter 400 Series and Q400, laying off all staff.
Must be another rich scumball screwing over their employees. Isn't that what everyone thinks?

Sarcasm --
Wow, where’d you come up with that?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Sarcasm --
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=137940

The comments.... :roll:

Redwine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Redwine »

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel....

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 ... l-laureate

...Seems they are going to remove the axe and the control column from the cockpits for security reasons.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Just an aside.

If everyone really wants this to end as quickly as possible, go home and stay there.

It seems some people dont think it will hurt them, and don’t seem to give a rat’s p’tootie if they catch it and pass it onto others who it will hurt.

The danger of this virus is that it is very infectious.

Rant over....carry on with the beach parties.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

trey kule wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:51 pm Just an aside.

If everyone really wants this to end as quickly as possible, go home and stay there.

It seems some people dont think it will hurt them, and don’t seem to give a rat’s p’tootie if they catch it and pass it onto others who it will hurt.

The danger of this virus is that it is very infectious.

Rant over....carry on with the beach parties.
Hard to see happen in the "it's all about me" selfishness out there ----

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Sarcasm --

Somehow I do'nt thin that the owners of Viking are 'little guys' scrimping to make a living.
Assuming that all of vikings ~575 workers are earning $120k, that's a total pa6yrol of $70M/year - or about 1.5% of the net worth of the owners.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

mmm..bacon wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:42 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Somehow I do'nt thin that the owners of Viking are 'little guys' scrimping to make a living.
Assuming that all of vikings ~575 workers are earning $120k, that's a total pa6yrol of $70M/year - or about 1.5% of the net worth of the owners.
What's your point then? Spell it out.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Well, some people think wealthy people should share the wealth!
Hint, most don’t get rich by being generous with their money or stupid. I imagine most would prefer the company still be around to pick up where they left off, but what do I know.
Read the comments about how Sir Richard, the billionaire should keep his airline staff on payroll because well, he’s rich

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Hey! Bombardier is just a small business too! We shouldn’t be slagging them!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pm Well, some people think wealthy people should share the wealth!

Hint, most don’t get rich by being generous with their money or stupid.
First line: How would you define that, right now, in the current economic environment, to keep the company healthy, and employing workers, in the long term?

Second line: I suspect you don't know many rich people. Many, many of them are extremely generous. Quietly. Stupid, no.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 pm
mbav8r wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pm Well, some people think wealthy people should share the wealth!

Hint, most don’t get rich by being generous with their money or stupid.
First line: How would you define that, right now, in the current economic environment, to keep the company healthy, and employing workers, in the long term?

Second line: I suspect you don't know many rich people. Many, many of them are extremely generous. Quietly. Stupid, no.
First, my comments are my assumption of what people are thinking about why rich owners are not just carrying them through this crisis, not how I feel.
Second, I know a few rich people. I have a relative who is Neighbors with Ellen. They don’t get rich by being generous, once rich they stay rich by not being stupid with their money. These generous rich people you talk about, are they just giving money away or do they get something out of it?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

They give money away. This is first hand information, btw.

I also suspect some small businesses even take serious thought about managing their businesses so they don't have to let people go (permanently, anyway).

I suspect some of these people recognize their employees have families and they have a duty of care to try to manage well. In other words not the cold hearted assholes way too many on this site seem to think they all are.

About "sharing". What exactly should Viking be doing differently?

Let me help: An owner, IMO, could be ridiculously generous in a severe crisis, such as this one, for a period of time. He'd only likely wreck the finances of the company, if it turns into a multi year downturn.

It's possible an owner MIGHT be better equipped to judge that than a front line employee, no?

OR, -- he could be appropriately generous for a long period of time, and have a company that employs workers for 50 years, or more.

Which do you think is better?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:46 pm They give money away. This is first hand information, btw.

I also suspect some small businesses even take serious thought about managing their businesses so they don't have to let people go (permanently, anyway).

I suspect some of these people recognize their employees have families and they have a duty of care to try to manage well. In other words not the cold hearted assholes way too many on this site seem to think they all are.

About "sharing". What exactly should Viking be doing differently?

Let me help: An owner, IMO, could be ridiculously generous in a severe crisis, such as this one, for a period of time. He'd only likely wreck the finances of the company, if it turns into a multi year downturn.

It's possible an owner MIGHT be better equipped to judge that than a front line employee, no?

OR, -- he could be appropriately generous for a long period of time, and have a company that employs workers for 50 years, or more.

Which do you think is better?
Why are you arguing with me, I was on your friggen side, geez man!
The opinion out there was Branson should kick in from his own personal wealth, how would that wreck the company finances?
Anyhow, I’m done, I don’t think companies have to keep employees for the sake of doing it, if they are hedging that this will be short lived and want a quick spool up time maybe it makes sense but for a protracted downturn, the hard decisions need to be made. It appears companies are on the longer lasting side of things.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

7ECA wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:52 am
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 am Must be another rich scumball screwing over their employees. Isn't that what everyone thinks?

Sarcasm --
Might be time to take a break from the forums for a few days, again, eh?
The longer the better in his case

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:36 pm It’s equities that will be (are being) killed, not real estate.
So far.

500,000 EI applications last week. Normal average about 2,000,000/YEAR.

The one thing that can definitely kill any real estate market is job losses. Mortgages are cheap, but pretty hard to make payments without a job. Mortgage holidays don't reduce or eliminate, only postpone payments and actually tack on more for longer. How long exactly is this crisis going to last? No one knows.

Given the debt-to-income ratios in Canada I highly doubt that a large percentage can carry a mortgage on an EI payment. Not with those kinds of numbers. People start being forced to sell, good luck with open houses and transacting during isolation practices. If values drop significantly and go underwater, banks start asking for the difference - look out below.

Just like the virus, it's all about snowballing numbers. Canada avoided a housing crash in 2008-9, I'm not as sure it will do so now. All those extra years to blow the bubble.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Comments”