Who's gotten a lay off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Who's gotten a lay off?

Post by pilotidentity »

I've been without work, what kept me going was a deep belief things would turn around, and over time they did.

Hopefully this event will help us all realize we can live more simple lives.

It will show us we don't need to travel as much, the joy of spending more time at home with loved ones. Many will eat more basic healthy diets that are less expensive and local. The importance of gardening, perfect timing to start one now if you can!

A shortage of money isn't always a bad thing. You most likely won't die from it.

If the simple life isn't for you it is only a matter of time, as history has shown us time and time again, you'll be back in the money!

Things turn around, and this will too. Believe that and you will have more peace right now. Help others if you can.
---------- ADS -----------

Bruce!!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bruce!! »

That could not have been a more ignorant post.(Both of them)
The fact is if we all need to do our part. If you are in an accident tomorrow and for some reason or another need care it may not be there to save you because of the virus and how over run the system is. If we don’t flatten the curve ASAP anyone who needs care is SOL. It has nothing to do with “people of marginal health” it’s a community and global effort to stop the spread so our already stretched health care system has a chance to do its job. I’m just sick of the the younger generation saying it won’t affect them. Grow up and use your brain. I’m a healthy 31 yr old btw. wash your hands avoid gatherings over 5 people and if you have minor symptoms don’t go to the hospital and waste a test. Isolate yourself from EVERYONE! Family included. There are no tests to spare. My wife is an RN in the ER at the bio containment centre for B.C. Surrey Memorial and let me tell you this is no joke. They are on any given normal day the 2nd if not the 1st busiest ER in all of Canada. The strain this places on the system is extreme to the extent they are more than overwhelmed. Please please think before you post stuff saying (paraphrasing ) “old people should stay inside”.
quote=altiplano post_id=1109423 time=1584533086 user_id=3052]
Hangry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 pm It's a tough choice - catch 22 was said - and just to put out the contrarian idea...

People will die either way, and not just from the disease. With the shutdown of the economy families go bankrupt, people end up on the street, kids lose their futures... so some already health marginalized people can have slightly longer lives... the other side would be that if this virus is going to kill you, lock your door and be careful for the next 30 days, 60 days, whatever, and the rest of us that can handle a cold will keep the world turning.

However it goes... we'll all get out the other end, the world will recover.
I hope when you're older you'll have the same attitude and be willing to give up whatever life you have left so the greater masses can just get on with it.

I mean...you'll already be old, suffocating to death will be no big deal.
That's not what I said.

I was just pointing out the other side of it and the fallout this flatten the curve tactic has...

It's not my choice the policy we've gone ahead with and I fully support what we're doing in my own actions because I want to see this work effectively and get us to a state of recovery as quickly as possible.

I do believe that, either way, people with marginal health do need to take additional personal responsibility for protecting themselves and limiting the potential additional burden they could create from becoming infected - ie.lock their door, rely on a family member or friend to bring groceries, see you in 30 days...
[/quote]

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's a discussion.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ted_stryker »

Any news on how many Jazz needs to layoff?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

ted_stryker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 am Any news on how many Jazz needs to layoff?
Not yet

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

North Shore wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 am
Absolutely....in a dog-eat-dog world.

IMO, good corporate leadership would recognise that if the employees are hurting, then the management should be seen to hurt also...
They are hurting in ways we can't even begin to comprehend. Contrary to popular thinking, they are human too. Most are doing 18+ hours a day just trying to keep the company alive. Sleep doesn't come easy - when they do get the chance.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Bruce!! wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:41 pm That could not have been a more ignorant post.(Both of them)
The fact is if we all need to do our part. If you are in an accident tomorrow and for some reason or another need care it may not be there to save you because of the virus and how over run the system is. If we don’t flatten the curve ASAP anyone who needs care is SOL. It has nothing to do with “people of marginal health” it’s a community and global effort to stop the spread so our already stretched health care system has a chance to do its job. I’m just sick of the the younger generation saying it won’t affect them. Grow up and use your brain. I’m a healthy 31 yr old btw. wash your hands avoid gatherings over 5 people and if you have minor symptoms don’t go to the hospital and waste a test. Isolate yourself from EVERYONE! Family included. There are no tests to spare. My wife is an RN in the ER at the bio containment centre for B.C. Surrey Memorial and let me tell you this is no joke. They are on any given normal day the 2nd if not the 1st busiest ER in all of Canada. The strain this places on the system is extreme to the extent they are more than overwhelmed. Please please think before you post stuff saying (paraphrasing ) “old people should stay inside”.
There is a point where destroying our economy will cause more harm than this virus ever could.
Are we at that point? I have no idea, it’s a great question for an economist to look at.
How much inflation will the bailouts cause?
How much inflation will EI cause? It’ll be impossible to keep it cost neutral at the current rate.
How much inflation will the social programs cause?

Hyperinflation in Germany took a loaf of bread from 160 marks to 200,000,000,000 marks (yes that’s 200 billion) in just 2 years, 1921-1923.
Is this the same as Germany post ww1? No, it’s merely an example of inflation and how it can ruin the entire economy.

So yes those are fair questions of how far can we go? How much debt is too much? How will we pay for it?

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

The unions (if they are listening) should be doing a one time," share the flying that exists" among rated pilots. This will keep more pilots " warmed up". Senior types can probably live on one third of their flying.
Complete shutdown is gonna be hard on staff, and planes dont like to sit.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pilotidentity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 pm I've been without work, what kept me going was a deep belief things would turn around, and over time they did.

Hopefully this event will help us all realize we can live more simple lives.

It will show us we don't need to travel as much, the joy of spending more time at home with loved ones. Many will eat more basic healthy diets that are less expensive and local. The importance of gardening, perfect timing to start one now if you can!

A shortage of money isn't always a bad thing. You most likely won't die from it.

If the simple life isn't for you it is only a matter of time, as history has shown us time and time again, you'll be back in the money!

Things turn around, and this will too. Believe that and you will have more peace right now. Help others if you can.
Standards of living are going to fall. Get ready for it, if not from the virus, but from its effects in revealing a financial structure where the math just doesn't work.

Cut your lifestyle. Cut debt. Get ready for more taxes, higher user pays, less services, less entitlements in retirement.

I've been warning on this a long time.

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

The United States is on path of this virus spreading drastically. The spread in the United Kingdom is similar to Italy in numbers and timelines. Many other countries are the same. Broken health care systems are going to make this worse.

Airlines in North America will exit this crisis not the same they entered it. I doubt Sunwing and Porter will survive this to be honest. We are going to see a lot of operators in Canada shrinking or shutting down out right. Travel will not go back to pre COVID 19 levels for a very long time.

Anyone who thinks Air Canada pilots won't get laid off are delusional. It's happening.

Expect a long drawn out recovery.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

I've been warning on this a long time.

A broken clock is right 2x a day!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

ted_stryker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 am Any news on how many Jazz needs to layoff?
Initial numbers say 550 pilots before mitigations. That being said if provincial borders close then I expect to see that number jump much much higher. Unprecedented times ahead.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

vermont wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:29 am I've been warning on this a long time.

Child, go back to your parents basement.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Make better insults? GTA home owner here!
It's pretty funny seeing all the wackjobs I've met claiming they predicted this, despite predicting "this" every year for the past 20+ years

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

vermont wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:58 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Make better insults? GTA home owner here!
It's pretty funny seeing all the wackjobs I've met claiming they predicted this, despite predicting "this" every year for the past 20+ years
HAHAHAHA... so true!

search.php?keywords=recession&terms=all ... mit=Search

It’s equities that will be (are being) killed, not real estate.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

altiplano wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 pm It's a tough choice - catch 22 was said - and just to put out the contrarian idea...

People will die either way, and not just from the disease. With the shutdown of the economy families go bankrupt, people end up on the street, kids lose their futures... so some already health marginalized people can have slightly longer lives... the other side would be that if this virus is going to kill you, lock your door and be careful for the next 30 days, 60 days, whatever, and the rest of us that can handle a cold will keep the world turning.

However it goes... we'll all get out the other end, the world will recover.
So let me get this straight; the vulnerable should lock their doors like you say and the young and fit that can handle a cold should carry on, keeping the world turning while spreading the virus at the same time?? At least their precious career won't get disrupted.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:53 pm So let me get this straight; the vulnerable should lock their doors like you say and the young and fit that can handle a cold should carry on, keeping the world turning while spreading the virus at the same time?? At least their precious career won't get disrupted.
The curve may be slightly slanted to the elderly, but it's certainly not ignoring the younger folks. In Spain and Italy they have 30yr old folks on ventilators.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

The older people could be taking more precautions, I know my parents are. Maybe the 50-59 crowd is old enough to be at risk but not quite old enough to realize they are actually old enough.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

3500 at Transat - including all flight crew.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... li=AAggFp5

Return to “General Comments”