Companies Laying off.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Companies Laying off.

Post by iflyroads »

Company didn't sign the new LOU. Flights now only going till April 1st.
---------- ADS -----------

iamthecaptainnow13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamthecaptainnow13 »

iflyroads wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:48 pm Company didn't sign the new LOU. Flights now only going till April 1st.
What company does this refer to? Transat?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

bbingham wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Turboprops wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 am Perimeter
Where did you hear Perimeter was doing layoffs? Couple guys there I've talked to haven't heard anything about it.
Probably safer to get Covid-19 than to get on an aging Metroliner...

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

timeflies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm
FL320 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 pm
Every pilot at 65h until May and no layoffs.
New hires will continue the GS and get their PPC.
gustind wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm All Transat pilots from April 19th onward.
so which info is correct ?
This one: All Transat pilots will be layoff from April 19th onward.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

iamthecaptainnow13 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm
iflyroads wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:48 pm Company didn't sign the new LOU. Flights now only going till April 1st.
What company does this refer to? Transat?

Whoops. Sorry, yes Transat

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Where did you hear Perimeter was doing layoffs? Couple guys there I've talked to haven't heard anything about it.
Me, got a call this morning.
They're starting with all the new hire in training (me), probably going to the junior pilots soon

bbingham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bbingham »

Turboprops wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:22 pm
They're starting with all the new hire in training (me), probably going to the junior pilots soon
Sounds like more of a hiring freeze than layoffs. Probably nitpicking things a little bit but there's a bit of a difference.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

bbingham wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Sounds like more of a hiring freeze than layoffs. Probably nitpicking things a little bit but there's a bit of a difference.
Wouldn't hiring freeze mean they stop hiring "new" pilots?
or i guess you can call this a hiring freeze plus firing pilots in training, i don't know if that counts as lay off but me and a few others are out of jobs now

Redwine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Redwine »

I wouldn't worry about companies laying off. This virus will pretty much be the end of aviation as we know it. This virus is expanding exponentially and will kill off any remaining airlines. It's just a matter of time. Anyone who thinks this matter will go away in three to four months is out of touch with reality.

...Seems they are going to remove the axe and the control column from the cockpits for security reasons.
dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

Redwine wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm I wouldn't worry about companies laying off. This virus will pretty much be the end of aviation as we know it. This virus is expanding exponentially and will kill off any remaining airlines. It's just a matter of time. Anyone who thinks this matter will go away in three to four months is out of touch with reality.
The current rate of doubling is ~ 4 days. Assuming 100% transmission (unlikely), the virus would infect nearly the entire Canadian population in 45-60 days, and the American population a little bit longer. There's still a lot we don't know about this virus, but your useless fear mongering isn't helping.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Redwine wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm I wouldn't worry about companies laying off. This virus will pretty much be the end of aviation as we know it. This virus is expanding exponentially and will kill off any remaining airlines. It's just a matter of time. Anyone who thinks this matter will go away in three to four months is out of touch with reality.
Unfortunately I believe this is true. I don’t think people fully realize what it takes to get an airline moving from a 2 month standstill. They can’t just ramp back up operations like normal. They will need to test that waters first with only a few flights and chances are that these flights will not be profitable to begin with. They will then gradually add capacity over a few years. Any airline that had to stop operations entirely will basically be starting back as if they were a new company, and then start to grow. This will take YEARSSS, and most airlines will not survive.

The problem is that, even after the pandemic is over, hundreds of thousands of Canadians will still be laid off. Most small/medium size business’ will go bankrupt because they can not survive a shut down for a few months, even with GOV help. Our employment rate will skyrocket.

Everyone will be cutting back expenses. No one will be taking vacations or travelling unless absolutely necessary. Although people won’t fear the virus, they just won’t have the money.

Anyone who thinks this will all be over, and we will be back to a pilot shortage in a few months is naive. Our way of life will be changed forever.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

dashtrash1 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm
The current rate of doubling is ~ 4 days. Assuming 100% transmission (unlikely), the virus would infect nearly the entire Canadian population in 45-60 days, and the American population a little bit longer. There's still a lot we don't know about this virus, but your useless fear mongering isn't helping.
Reality need not be feared, only adapted to.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

Westwind and Transwest laying off

adster1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by adster1989 »

Turboprops wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:33 pm
bbingham wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Wouldn't hiring freeze mean they stop hiring "new" pilots?
or i guess you can call this a hiring freeze plus firing pilots in training, i don't know if that counts as lay off but me and a few others are out of jobs now
I have a buddy at Perimeter who is a training captain, and literally just finished a pilot's initial training, and they are still short pilots. Maybe it depends on experience levels to if they continue training or not, but he said they are not laying off at this time.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

In Manitoba they are banning all non essential travel to reserves, it’s a matter of time I’m afraid

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:29 am In Manitoba they are banning all non essential travel to reserves, it’s a matter of time I’m afraid
Isn't the bulk of flying to the reserves "essential"? Medevac, groceries, personnel changes?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Jazz is laying off as well

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Aviation will not simply end. Those that survive will drastically scale back and will have to rebuild and regrow. In time there will be rebirths. It will take time, but aviation has become a very influential bloodline in our economy and will continue to do so, of course on a much smaller scale post-pandemic, but it will not be the end.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

adster1989 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 am
I have a buddy at Perimeter who is a training captain, and literally just finished a pilot's initial training, and they are still short pilots. Maybe it depends on experience levels to if they continue training or not, but he said they are not laying off at this time.

Maybe? I know a guy got hired the same month as me got told to go home as well.
He has 4900 hours and was a training captain before he came for this medevac job.
But if they're short pilots why not finish training us? Everyone that got hired in Feb or March was told to go home, your friend must have been training the Jan new hires

Return to “General Comments”