TC MEDICAL EXTENSIONS COVID 19

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

TC MEDICAL EXTENSIONS COVID 19

Post by Lost Lake »

So, TC has advised that no new medical exams are to be performed until later and all medicals are good til Aug. 1. Great, except I am over 60 and fly commercially on floats. After 6 months, I don't renew my CAT 1 medical but revert to a private endorsement. I need to do my medical in April to renew. Now I can't! According to their usual vague blather, I keep my rating. But which one? So technically I now have private privileges. Doesn't help me in May. So am I CAT 1 or Cat 3? And if I can't get my medical upgraded, I guess I should be able to continue on ei.
---------- ADS -----------

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: TC MEDICAL EXTENSIONS COVID 19

Post by 7ECA »

The new directive extends the validity period of all currently "held" medicals until August 1st. If you hold a Category 1 medical, your validity will be extended until August 1st.

https://www.cbaa-acaa.ca/CBAADocs/NCR-021-2020.pdf

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... cates.html

From the second link; no new medical exams will take place until "at least" May 1st. Odds are, that won't happen, and there will be none for an extended period of time to relieve doctors of the burden of CAME duty to focus on actual patients. TC could also further extend the validity period if required...

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

What about the new guys who need their initial medicals to start flying training over the summer?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

kevind wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm What about the new guys who need their initial medicals to start flying training over the summer?
No medical exams until at least May 1st.

Good of the many, over the good of the few; as they say. Odds are, flight training will have to be curtailed markedly to comply with the requirement for social distancing regardless.

medi-whacked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by medi-whacked »

Lost Lake wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 am So, TC has advised that no new medical exams are to be performed until later and all medicals are good til Aug. 1. Great, except I am over 60 and fly commercially on floats. After 6 months, I don't renew my CAT 1 medical but revert to a private endorsement. I need to do my medical in April to renew. Now I can't! According to their usual vague blather, I keep my rating. But which one? So technically I now have private privileges. Doesn't help me in May. So am I CAT 1 or Cat 3? And if I can't get my medical upgraded, I guess I should be able to continue on ei.
I think you are correct. If you do not hold a valid medical now - you wont be entitled to an extension.
After all they cant extend something you do not have.

I stand to be corrected if I am not understanding this correctly.

You might be swamping until this sorts itself out.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

I’m in a similar boat- ending up going off due to a stress related medical issue.

My CAT 1 has expired and I self-grounded.

The way I read this memo, is that I cannot see my CAME to get my category 1.

It would be nice to get some guidance..

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

COVID-19 poses a significant challenge to Canada’s healthcare system. Regulatory bodies at all levels of government are working to limit the strain on the system.

To that end, all persons who currently hold a valid Transport Canada aviation Medical Certificate (MC) expiring on or before June 1st, 2020 may continue to exercise the privileges of their permits, licenses, or ratings until August 1st 2020 subject to the conditions listed in the Exemption notice dated 17 March 2020.

Furthermore, no medical examinations for new aviation MCs will be conducted until at least May 1st, 2020.

All aviation MC holders shall continue to comply with the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) in all respects, and the CARs continue to apply in all respects other than the Exemption noted. Aviation MC holders are reminded that they shall not exercise their privileges if they cease to hold a valid MC by meeting any of the circumstances set out in section 404.06 of the CARs.
The guidance is there, its just not what you want to hear. If you didn't have a valid Cat 1 medical on March 17, you're out of luck until at least may. Its unfortunate for a lot of people to be sure, but its quite clear. Hopefully, for your sake, enough lobbying can get it to change.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

My cat 1 expired, as it’s over six months, will I need a cat one medical or am I good to go?

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

It says, permits, licences, ratings. My license is an ATPL. It doesnt say anything about changing my medical status.
Typical government gliberdeegoop!

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The extension applies to what ever category of medical, you CURRENTLY hold. If you have a Cat 1, it is extended. If you have a Cat 3, it is extended..., etc.

The extension is not granting you a higher category of medical than you currently hold; because that would require an upgrade - and CAMEs are not going to be doing exams until at least May 1st. Call up TC, or your CAME and argue with them about it.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

sunk wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 pm My cat 1 expired, as it’s over six months, will I need a cat one medical or am I good to go?
When did it expire? If it was before the extension you're out of luck. If it was after, you're good.

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

Thanks, I guess I get to stay home.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster