TSA checkpoint travel numbers for 2020 and 2019

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

TSA checkpoint travel numbers for 2020 and 2019

Post by avcanada »

Interesting view of what is happening in the states with total passenger numbers by day in March vs same time last year.

This was yesterday

Date
3/30/2020
Total Traveler Throughput 154,080

3/20/2019
Total Traveler Throughput 2,360,053

Rest of the month can be viewed in the link below.

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passeng ... Wr0K3PtILc
---------- ADS -----------

jwaran90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: TSA checkpoint travel numbers for 2020 and 2019

Post by jwaran90 »

Thanks for posting. I've been tracking this along with the conversation on the US Airline Pilots Forum.

May 16th is 250K passengers per day and 9.4% YoY relative to 2019.

Some thoughts
1. TSA Throughput bottomed out at 3.6% of the YoY passenger numbers in Mid-April.
2. Seeing about a 20-25% week over week increase in passenger numbers.
3. Growth rate is 20-25% but the growth rate of the growth rate (second derivative) is declining.
4. No breakdown of international vs. domestic travel.

I watch a few different pilot vlogs and they all have the consensus that passengers are slowly returning - it was a ghost town in Mid-April but there are now passengers in seats.

I hope the passenger numbers keep increasing (as everyone who cares about the airline industry does) but I'm unsure whether the increase in passengers is just a release valve for trips that were truly critical/essential that were delayed by the pandemic (returning for family obligations, essential business negotiations, etc.)

Still a long way to go but I hope to see 10% by Monday May 18th and 20% by the end of May.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”