Looking for advice from the recession veterans

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jedney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for advice from the recession veterans

Post by Jedney »

I’m a CPL student, and was supposed to write the CPAER last week before TC Exam centres were closed. I was a few weeks away from the flight test, but with the written test being a prerequisite to the flight test, I’m pretty much parked for now.

I’ve leased an aircraft for the duration of training, and have sole access to it for the summer. At this point I’m looking longer term, I assume I won’t be able to finish the CPL until at least the fall, and am trying to set up for the best possible hiring situation for spring 2021.

I’m considering the following options:

a) Fly privately as much as I can this summer while fuel is cheap. If I can end up with ~400 hrs of flying, would these ‘private’ hours matter to a future employer or would it be a waste of time/money?

b) Return to previous employment with good pay, save money/don’t fly, wait for flight school/exam centres to open and continue.

c) Try to beg my way into a ground job with a potential future employer, hopefully learn some industry skills and continue flight training when possible (assuming there might be a ground job available).

d) A combination of the above

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Looking for advice from the recession veterans

Post by 172_Captain »

If you were gonna build time, I’d at least build to 500 hours. While 400 hours might seem like a lot above the CPL minimum, the reality is is that it doesn’t make much of a difference. You’re still viewed as a wet inked CPL. At least with 500 you’re now eligible to fly MNR and medivac at least in Ontario.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

If you choose option (A), don't forget to log as much night PIC time as you can, especially night X-country.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

1 month ago, 500 hours would have pretty much guaranteed you a job. Nowadays? Much harder. I doubt anyone believes the job market will return to its previous state right away....

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

The difference between 200 and 500 is 2 months of busy flying. Get to 250, so that your IATRA can be valid, and make sure you have the 25 night PIC cross country, and if you can swing it 100 total night.

Once this is all said in done, it'll be back to some sort of normality where it is NOT the norm for 1000hr pilots to king air captains or freshly minted ATPLs tube DEC at a regional. Get your CPL, fight your way into a small aircraft, and enjoy the ride.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

porcsord wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:07 pm The difference between 200 and 500 is 2 months of busy flying. Get to 250, so that your IATRA can be valid, and make sure you have the 25 night PIC cross country, and if you can swing it 100 total night.

Hello porcsord,

Just wanted to clarify about the IATRA requirements and validity. So, I qualify to right the exam at 125 TT and does it become valid once I accumulate 250 TT?

Thank you in advance!

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

It's been a while, but I seem to recall you can write the exams at half the hours of validity. So for example ATPLs can be written at 750hrs.

I'm pretty sure about the 250hr thing for the IATRA, unless things have changed in the last 15 years or so.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

porcsord wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 pm It's been a while, but I seem to recall you can write the exams at half the hours of validity. So for example ATPLs can be written at 750hrs.

I'm pretty sure about the 250hr thing for the IATRA, unless things have changed in the last 15 years or so.
Thank you!

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Look up the time requirements for the ATPL. Fly enough to complete ALL of the PIC time requirements. That way, regardless of whether you eventually take a right seat or left seat job, you won't have to worry about not having the PIC time for your AAs.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

If it’s still available to you, I’d return to your previous employment and fly as much as you can. If you can get the PIC requirements for the ATPL, at least the night PIC you will be ahead of the game. If you can save some money during this tough time that we’re in right now, that would be a definite bonus as well.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Seems money doesn't factor into this, go back to your employer, make some money, buy a small aircraft (might be some good deals out there right now. Fly your ass off without dealing with or trying to book flights at a school and then sell the aircraft, possibly at a profit. You have great experience being your own pilot and you could possibly have as much fun as you will ever have. :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Jedney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jedney »

Thanks for all the insight!

It’s sounds like the 500 hrs is a bit of a line in the sand for various contracts/insurance requirements out there, and it doesn’t matter how to get there. It would obviously better to do that through employment and commercial flying, but given the situation I don’t think that option exists.

I will get to 250, get the night hours done and reassess the situation. Who knows how long this lasts and it seems wise to nestle into any employment if available. I’m aware that I’m in a better situation than a lot of folks, good luck and thanks again.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

If you have a job opportunity right now, any job, I’d take it.

All the best to you and I hope you are flying as a career soon!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

C-GKNT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm If you choose option (A), don't forget to log as much night PIC time as you can, especially night X-country.
I was going to write something like that.

What plane do you have? I might buy fuel and fly around with you. You can log the whole thing as PIC but you have to let me fly a bit. I need some practice but don't care about logging time.

I'm in YYC but we can go anywhere in Canada. I'm interested in flying around old forts and stuff.

I'd love to pull a digits and check out the north pole. Except I'm a big fan of pizza so me and a long range ferry bag of fuel probably can't bring you along for that trip.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

If you have option B - then there's nothing else to really consider imho.

The name of the game now is SURVIVAL - having an income will make that much easier.

If you have surplus funds then you can look at option A.

Just be aware that it is unknown how long this will go on for and whether your job will continue to exist. Part of any survival strategy is having XX months of savings.

You are the one best able to decide.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Just get a job and survive. If you can manage to fly abit great however keep in mind you are now in the market with 5-15 thousand hour guys, so what is 500 hrs going to really get you?

However, when you do rent a plane for the love of god get out of the circuit. Fly to a variety of different airports and learn to talk on the radio. As weird as it is, i've flown with many many pilots with 1500-2000 hours and their radio work is horrible because they've been stuck in a circuit at place's like Tbay, Butonville, etc. Try to get into places like YYZ, something a little busier as well as small places that are uncontrolled.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Eric Janson wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:58 am If you have option B - then there's nothing else to really consider imho.

The name of the game now is SURVIVAL - having an income will make that much easier.

If you have surplus funds then you can look at option A.

Just be aware that it is unknown how long this will go on for and whether your job will continue to exist. Part of any survival strategy is having XX months of savings.

You are the one best able to decide.
Exactly that.....

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Beefitarian wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:36 pm
C-GKNT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm If you choose option (A), don't forget to log as much night PIC time as you can, especially night X-country.
I was going to write something like that.

What plane do you have? I might buy fuel and fly around with you. You can log the whole thing as PIC but you have to let me fly a bit. I need some practice but don't care about logging time.

I'm in YYC but we can go anywhere in Canada. I'm interested in flying around old forts and stuff.

I'd love to pull a digits and check out the north pole. Except I'm a big fan of pizza so me and a long range ferry bag of fuel probably can't bring you along for that trip.
Beef,

My plane is 1965 Mooney M20E...Once the CV-19 thing all clears up, PM me and I'll take you up. Didn't you bring your son to our COPA for Kids Rally in Innisfail a few years ago?

Glenn

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yes sir, you took both my son and I for a helicopter ride. I was actually angling for rides with the op this time. However if things go back to semi normal I might come up and bother you again. Take care and have a great week.

Return to “General Comments”