Closing airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

P180
Rank 3
Rank 3

Closing airspace

Post by P180 »

Has anyone heard that airspace for general aviation is going to be closed.I think this is going to far.I sure hope this is not true.
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Closing airspace

Post by leftoftrack »

What do you know concerning the spread of Corona Virus that the government hasn't been informed of that might change their opinion?

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

P180 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm Has anyone heard that airspace for general aviation is going to be closed.I think this is going to far.I sure hope this is not true.
What have you heard?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Nothing like starting a rumour on line, and seeing what happens; right?

The only way to do, what you're "proposing" (as it were) would be implementing the ESCAT Plan (Emergency Security Control of Air Traffic Plan). It's the nuclear option, grounding all non-approved air traffic in Canada. The plan is designed, and it's stated more or less as such in the literature, that this is the sort of thing that "could" be used in times of war. It requires the directive of the Minister of Defence ( possibly requiring an Act of Parliament), the go ahead from the DoD, etc.

Could it happen? Sure. Will it? Unlikely.

Look at how little air traffic there is currently, there's no need to shut down airspace. Bloody fear mongering, and paranoia does no one any favours in times like these.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Unless Mr. Trudeau invokes "full on" War Measures Act and throws chains on my prop I'll be going fun flying any time the feeling moves me.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

This guy is claiming it... https://www.fliegerfaust.com/airline-ne ... 48431.html
but I’m not quite ready to consider that a reputable source.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

He is NOT a reputable source.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

From COPA's perspective: The COPA National Office has been a part of regular teleconferences with TCCA. There has been no indication that they are going to shut down the airspace or are considering shutting down the airspace. The last call that COPA was on was yesterday so that is pretty recent information.

- Clark Morawetz - COPA Director (Southern Ontario)

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Feigler Faust sells clicks to advertisers. congrats, you just sold him a few clicks

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Strange how anyone would even think this was necessary. I can get in my car, drive to my airport, get in my plane, go for a flight and then go home and not be within 300' of anyone. As I'm driving to the airport though I pass the dog park which is crowded with people who don't seem to give a rip and have walked around the yellow tape saying it's closed.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

NAV CANADA is flush with cash, thanks to the NAV CANADA fees we pay.

Secondly, aircraft (medivacs, air transport, etc.) are an essential service, more essential now than ever before.

There's nothing to worry about here.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

I think this would depend where you live and the kind of GA flying you do.
If you're on the west coast and decide to go VFR in and around the mountains, or over the terrain of Northern Ontario/Quebec/elsewhere, I think that is reckless at this time.

If you want to fly in and around where there are outs and a forced landing is something to "easily" performed, then I don't see a true issue.

The folks at CASARA have absolutely no desire to go rescue anyone right now. Plus, unless you're flying with a family member or housemate, you'll be (or should be) alone in your aircraft.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

A few days ago I saw a C-150, a Husky on amphibs and a Cherokee all do low passes down the runway at YYZ.
Gives you an idea of how busy the airspace isn't.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

DH82EH wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm A few days ago I saw a C-150, a Husky on amphibs and a Cherokee all do low passes down the runway at YYZ.
Gives you an idea of how busy the airspace isn't.
So... contest to find the dumbest thing we can do a touch and go with in YYZ?

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AR705 »

Maybe have seen this already... Cessna 150 at YYZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iqW9TIymqk

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Cessna 150 at YYZ
Well, I admit that it's been about two decades since I've had my 150 into YYZ, but I used to fly in regularly. Before that, I flew two different 172's which were based there (I see that "BOE" still lives on at Brampton). The other lived at the "MOT tiedowns", where the cargo center is now. When I worked for Worldways, I used to fly to work regularly in the 182 from Maple, and park for the day at our hangar. Later, the 310 I flew was based at Field Aviation. Until the early '90's, YYZ was quite GA friendly.

Back in the day, there was runway 10/28 which crossed what was then 24R. Tower would often allow me to depart 28 if 33 and or 24L were in use, as my departure path was away from the airport, and did not conflict with any other departing traffic.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Used to fly into YYZ quite regularly in 150’s, 172’s to pick up parts from Leaven’s Brothers who, if I recall correctly, were on the north side of Derry Road.
Segments of old runway 10-28 are still in use as taxiways G and P and AG.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

rxl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:43 am Used to fly into YYZ quite regularly in 150’s, 172’s to pick up parts from Leaven’s Brothers who, if I recall correctly, were on the north side of Derry Road.
Segments of old runway 10-28 are still in use as taxiways G and P and AG.
I often point out to people who are new to YYZ that "G" taxiway used to be a runway. A taxiway doesn't need to be 200 feet wide :D

I saw people doing low passes. If they did a touch and go, would they be charged a landing fee?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

I assume that they would be charged a landing fee.
I shudder to think how much that would be.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

A few years ago it took me a long time to find this image. Looks like YYZ put in on their twitter a while back. It shows 10/28.
77F87FA8-20CE-417E-8E05-615B6BC1AB11.jpeg
77F87FA8-20CE-417E-8E05-615B6BC1AB11.jpeg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 2305 times

Return to “General Comments”