IS TRANSPORT CANADA OPEN?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: IS TRANSPORT CANADA OPEN?

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 amAwesome! Didn't know they had an online portal...
Transport Canada General Aviation Online Services

Accessible with the same credentials as your Revenue Canada account, but it can take a while to get an activation code; I think mine took a month to be emailed to me. Covid-19 may or may not have had something to do with that.

I'm concerned a bit about the renewal. My class 1 expires July 15th, which puts me six weeks past the exemption, and no word from them on that yet.
---------- ADS -----------

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am
Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 amAwesome! Didn't know they had an online portal...
Transport Canada General Aviation Online Services

Accessible with the same credentials as your Revenue Canada account, but it can take a while to get an activation code; I think mine took a month to be emailed to me. Covid-19 may or may not have had something to do with that.

I'm concerned a bit about the renewal. My class 1 expires July 15th, which puts me six weeks past the exemption, and no word from them on that yet.
Isn't that Jan 15, 2020 from your screen shot?

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 amIsn't that Jan 15, 2020 from your screen shot?
Yes. Technically the class 1 will expire August 1st, 2020 - July 15th being six months from January 15th, and me being 41 years of age.

But, it's not like I'm going to find work anytime soon, so I likely don't need to worry about keeping the class 1 current yet, I can continue training on class 3 privileges as far as I know.

edit: actually according to CAR 404.04 (6) a student pilot permit at my age is valid for 5 years, and apparently so is my glider license.

Last edited by RedAndWhiteBaron on Fri May 15, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm
Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 amIsn't that Jan 15, 2020 from your screen shot?
Yes. Technically the class 1 will expire August 1st, 2020 - July 15th being six months from January 15th, and me being 41 years of age.

But, it's not like I'm going to find work anytime soon, so I likely don't need to worry about keeping the class 1 current yet, I can continue training on class 3 privileges as far as I know.

I believe the 6mth expiry is if you're over 40 AND doing single pilot ops with passengers. You'd still be on the 12mth cycle for banner towing, survey work, and even instructing I believe (weird thing about students not considered as passengers). Certainly good for training, that's for sure. Best of luck!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

talking with a few of my TCCA Cronies, they are getting more done at home than with the interminable meetings, lunches and interoffice politics in there normal work environments

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

FWIW, I called TC PAC Region, left a message and then sent a follow up email and had call back within 1 hr. I was referred to another number where I left a message and I had a call back within 20 mins. I only needed clarification on some licensing issues and didn't actually require any action from TC (although I am still waiting for my Cat 1 medical to be processed from last Nov). Overall I was quite happy with the responsive time.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Once I heard of the the online portal, on May 15 or so, I opened my account and was put on hold to wait for the activation code which I received by email today – 10 alternating alphabetic and numeric characters that you are not allowed to paste in.

Still no update on my medical exam nearly 3 months ago.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

To the OP, and everyone else, seems to me that the public servants will be working at 10% of their normal 10% because of covid.
So that does not leave a whole lot of usefulness. You will eventually get an answer, and you will get one someday, wait a year or two.
Worked there unfortunately, I know how the system works. Obviously long gone from the place but hey, that place is like the weather, you just dont really know.
So wait, the system will produce an answer someday.
Cheers,

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:43 pm To the OP, and everyone else, seems to me that the public servants will be working at 10% of their normal 10% because of covid.
So that does not leave a whole lot of usefulness. You will eventually get an answer, and you will get one someday, wait a year or two.
Worked there unfortunately, I know how the system works. Obviously long gone from the place but hey, that place is like the weather, you just dont really know.
So wait, the system will produce an answer someday.
Cheers,
Everyone I know whose asked them for something got a reply the same day, many about an hour or two later.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Same here, the staff at our local office has been very responsive throughout the whole thing.

Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Craig1983 »

I called and left a VM asking about the status of my CPL application. Within an hour someone e-mailed me back. They lost my application. I sent them a copy and within a week my CPL sticker arrived. The best service ever from a Gov't body.

-Craig
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Craig1983 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:48 am I called and left a VM asking about the status of my CPL application. Within an hour someone e-mailed me back. They lost my application. I sent them a copy and within a week my CPL sticker arrived. The best service ever from a Gov't body.
Having to resend your application in because they lost it and didn’t bother to let you know is the best service?

I hope that you are joking.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

We are now july 5th, and still no sign as to when TC will resume its normal operations, medical validations have been extended but nothing else, No flight tests are being conducted by transport canada inspectors, and the minister of transport Hon Marc Garneau is doing nothing to address the situation, he should be FIRED as incompetent,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “General Comments”