Applying for new jobs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Applying for new jobs

Post by Otto Pilot »

Hello all, just looking for some insight from you fine people. What are your thoughts on sending out resumes during this covid period we are all stuck in? Does this come off as poor etiquette? ( Currently have a flying job and work is going strong. I was looking at other options before corona really messed the industry up)

Thanks to all who reply in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Applying for new jobs

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I can't imagine anybody is hiring at this point. As a CP of a 703 company, I generally try to respond to most applications even if we are not hiring. Ive certainly seen an increase in applications lately, but hard to say if thats virus related or seasonal. I don't think it is really poor etiquette to apply, just know that the vast majority of your applications are going to fall on deaf ears.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

That is a good question. I tried to contact a couple of places I had applied, but no answers. They are probably on skeleton staff and have 8 million cv's to reject.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm I can't imagine anybody is hiring at this point. As a CP of a 703 company, I generally try to respond to most applications even if we are not hiring. Ive certainly seen an increase in applications lately, but hard to say if thats virus related or seasonal. I don't think it is really poor etiquette to apply, just know that the vast majority of your applications are going to fall on deaf ears.
Are you of the mindset that road trips make sense? Or is it just seen as people bothering you when you already have your hands full?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

vermont wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm I can't imagine anybody is hiring at this point. As a CP of a 703 company, I generally try to respond to most applications even if we are not hiring. Ive certainly seen an increase in applications lately, but hard to say if thats virus related or seasonal. I don't think it is really poor etiquette to apply, just know that the vast majority of your applications are going to fall on deaf ears.
Are you of the mindset that road trips make sense? Or is it just seen as people bothering you when you already have your hands full?
Generally speaking, road trips can be beneficial. Considering the current state of the world, I wouldn't waste my time. If you're brand new to the industry, email everyone and take the first job that makes an offer. If you have some experience, focus on places that operate the types you have time on. Its a tough time to be looking for work, especially in aviation.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:22 pm
vermont wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Generally speaking, road trips can be beneficial. Considering the current state of the world, I wouldn't waste my time. If you're brand new to the industry, email everyone and take the first job that makes an offer. If you have some experience, focus on places that operate the types you have time on. Its a tough time to be looking for work, especially in aviation.
Thanks man! I'm far away from job hunting too early for me was hoping to road trip in a year when things settle but might be a waste of time like you said

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Some European kids spent well over 100,000 Euros and do not get hired. Bit of perspective... Nobody forces anybody to drive forklifts, but if you want a shot, it doesn't hurt. At least here, we have a chance at any point in our lives. It is all over in most countries, if you don't have your act together by 18.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

ayseven wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:08 am Some European kids spent well over 100,000 Euros and do not get hired. Bit of perspective... Nobody forces anybody to drive forklifts, but if you want a shot, it doesn't hurt. At least here, we have a chance at any point in our lives. It is all over in most countries, if you don't have your act together by 18.
It's honestly not really any better here when you look at the math. Yeah the easyjet kid mortgaged his parents house but in about 2 years he's got an airline job. Here it's spend $80-100k for cpl and multi and then make under $50k a year for the next 8 years of instructing plus jazz and ac's flat pay.

I am very grateful for the VARIETY we have here! If airlines aren't your thing in the EU have fun hauling skydivers.

Return to “General Comments”