Recreational Flying?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Recreational Flying?

Post by Inverted2 »

Is it legal currently? I had a friend who told me his friend got pulled over by the cops for going out on a motorcycle ride by himself. Just wondering about private aircraft. Never know since they change the rules daily.
---------- ADS -----------

Let’s Go Brandon
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Recreational Flying?

Post by rookiepilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:37 pm Is it legal currently? I had a friend who told me his friend got pulled over by the cops for going out on a motorcycle ride by himself. Just wondering about private aircraft. Never know since they change the rules daily.
It's more difficult to get pulled over.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Which province? Currently Quebecistan is being heavy fisted about people moving about freely, especially coming in from other provinces.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:37 pm Is it legal currently? I had a friend who told me his friend got pulled over by the cops for going out on a motorcycle ride by himself. Just wondering about private aircraft. Never know since they change the rules daily.
Why was your friend pulled over? did he have proper registration, license and insurance? was he speeding? These are reasons you'll be pulled over.

Aviation is federally regulated and the government of canada has not stoppped it. However, some airports and services may be voluntarily closed.

Aircraft should be flown regularly to keep everything in good working order so get out there and fly, there's lots of space now.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I'm on Vancouver Island and it's basically just a big spring break here, many stores are closed and have restrictions but there are people out and about everywhere. One popular park near me that was supposed to be closed was so jam packed with people lately they had to block it of with concrete barriers. Definitely no restrictions here, just "recommendations" that no one is taking seriously.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Flying per se isn't an issue. Observing health requirements en route to and at the airport will depend on what province you're in.

...laura

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

(I1377/20 NOTAMR I1374/20
A) CXXX
B) 2003302009
C) 2005011804EST
E) CAD4 TRAIL AD CLSD
AVBL 1HR PN CTC 250-921-5478)

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

kevind wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:15 am (I1377/20 NOTAMR I1374/20
A) CXXX
B) 2003302009
C) 2005011804EST
E) CAD4 TRAIL AD CLSD
AVBL 1HR PN CTC 250-921-5478)
That's because the city runs the airport and according to the City of Trail website, all city facilities are closed.

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

The buildings are closed but all other roads are still open. Once Pacific Coastal stopped flying they closed the terminal and the runway.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Heliian wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:52 am
Why was your friend pulled over? did he have proper registration, license and insurance? was he speeding? These are reasons you'll be pulled over.

Aviation is federally regulated and the government of canada has not stoppped it. However, some airports and services may be voluntarily closed.

Aircraft should be flown regularly to keep everything in good working order so get out there and fly, there's lots of space now.
Basically he got pulled over and asked where he was going and if it wasn’t to or from work he shouldn’t be riding. Not making this up.

Let’s Go Brandon
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:49 pm Basically he got pulled over and asked where he was going and if it wasn’t to or from work he shouldn’t be riding. Not making this up.
Where? Different provinces have different restrictions in effect, and in some provinces, different districts have tighter restrictions.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

It’s not about maintaining social distancing, it’s about risking increasing the burden on the healthcare system should something happen.

Going for the deck at corner
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Don’t most accidents happen at home? :smt017

Besides... none of these restrictions have included risk mitigation strategies like you’d think they would in order to lower the healthcare burden. Like not using power tools or eating scotch mints or having a shower.

It’s literally to stop people from being exposed to or transmitting the disease through community contact.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
yeah yeah
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yeah yeah »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:54 pm Don’t most accidents happen at home? :smt017

Besides... none of these restrictions have included risk mitigation strategies like you’d think they would in order to lower the healthcare burden. Like not using power tools or eating scotch mints or having a shower.

Actually, in BC we have been asked to mitigate risk from recreational activities.

(From the government of B.C. website)

“Keep search and rescue volunteers safe
With the COVID-19 pandemic, there is higher risk for B.C.’s 2,500 search-and-rescue volunteers, as there is a risk of virus transmission during a call to help those who have been lost, stranded or injured in B.C.’s outdoors. With more people staying home, search and rescue calls have dropped by 50%. However, British Columbians are asked to do their part and not to venture into the wilderness at this time.”

We thought about going out on the boat last week, but decided to stay home after phoning the guy at the fuel dock, who explained that they were at minimum staff; and that if one of them gets sick they are closing the operation down. In addition to the general public, they fuel RCMP and Coast Guard craft.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

yeah yeah wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:24 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:54 pm Don’t most accidents happen at home? :smt017

Actually, in BC we have been asked to mitigate risk from recreational activities.

(From the government of B.C. website)

“Keep search and rescue volunteers safe
With the COVID-19 pandemic, there is higher risk for B.C.’s 2,500 search-and-rescue volunteers, as there is a risk of virus transmission during a call to help those who have been lost, stranded or injured in B.C.’s outdoors. With more people staying home, search and rescue calls have dropped by 50%. However, British Columbians are asked to do their part and not to venture into the wilderness at this time.”

We thought about going out on the boat last week, but decided to stay home after phoning the guy at the fuel dock, who explained that they were at minimum staff; and that if one of them gets sick they are closing the operation down. In addition to the general public, they fuel RCMP and Coast Guard craft.

But like I said, most accidents happen at home.

I literally carried a patient who slipped in the shower today. I’m pretty sure that more people get injured that way than by going out in the wilderness. Also look for an increase in domestic violence and attempted suicides as people get sick of being cooped up inside and losing their incomes.

And I’m more at risk of getting COVID than a SAR tech maybe rescuing one person a month, and COVID is the least of their concerns.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Not to mention all the weekend warrior/Mike Holmes wannabes. The home improvement store are booming right now with all these people not working, there are probably more hospital visits from idiots cutting off their fingers with skill saws and falling off ladders than small plane incidents.

yeah yeah
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yeah yeah »

...unless you’re the chump who doesn’t think anything is going to happen to him, and he ends up dead sticking onto the Autoroute. I’m sure the guy who fueled him up that morning didn’t want to deal with him, nor the dispatcher at the flying club who signed him out, nor the 15-25 emergency responders and tow truck drivers. Not that it is a high risk that he and his passengers are carriers of COVID-19, but it is not a 0% risk. Stay at home. Read a book. Watch Netflix. BTW most accidents happen at home because most people spend the majority of the time there. If you’re home 100% of the time, you will have 100% of your accidents at home.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

.......until your wife dials 911 because you fell of your roof and impaled yourself on a garden gnome, then all those emergency responders you mentioned will be on their way to your house to pick up the virus you or your nosey neighbour have.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It's not good for airplane engines to sit too long, especially Lycoming. That's my excuse, I had to go burn the moisture out of it today. :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:39 pm
there are probably more hospital visits from idiots cutting off their fingers with skill saws and falling off ladders than small plane incidents.
I think you're slightly math challenged on the number of folks engaged in light airplane flying vs working on their house in your analysis.

Man this site.... :lol:

Return to “General Comments”