When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

6 months
4%
1 year
15%
2 years
32%
3 years
23%
4 years
7%
5 years
6%
between 5 and 10 years
5%
more than 10 years
3%
never
3%

Total votes: 346

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

Post by PitchLink »

iflyforpie wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 am Yes.. and this is a result of paradigm shifts that will likely become semi-permanent as time goes on.

The Baby Boomers. They are dependent on their investments, more vulnerable to the disease, more prone to being frightened by sensationalist news, and larger liabilities for insurance companies. I think it’s fair to say that they have driven a large part of the leisure travel market and will likely exit it in droves.

Business travellers. As we’ve known for many years and have seen with this pandemic, it is no longer necessary to travel to do most business related activities. While we might see an uptick in corporate, fractional, and charter flights because of this.. I think we will see an overall decline in business travel and there has already been capacity cuts and route abandonments that speak to this. The inefficiencies of e-commuting and working from home will be offset by eliminating the potential risks of having to quarantine a large portion of essential on-site staff for weeks should an outbreak occur.

The Millennials. The YOLO generation has also driven the travel market choosing to focus on experiences rather than possessions. But they’ve been hit hard twice in a decade and the time has come to grow up, try and settle into a decent paying job, and build or rebuild wealth.

All of this points to a large and permanent contraction in air travel that will only partially recover as the next generational surges approach adulthood and retirement or some semblance of sanity returns to the world.
Good observations, and I would think you are right. This pandemic is also going to force some boomers’ early retirement. I think there will be a drastic increase in many trades/professions that will shift to working from home.
Office / business / industrial building taxes/rent/hydro etc is a major drain on any business.
As for millenials, we like working from home for the most part I think “at least myself and my brother do”. Going in to an office o be monitored by the age old draconian work style of years passed will likely die off with the advent of biometric remote time clocks “they already exist” and zoom / Skype meetings etc.
The reality is that no one cares about being in an office packed with drama and strangers etc etc. Most all business can be and has been able to be conducted remotely for >10 years.
As for fixing and flying aircraft you have to show up for that, but in the aforementioned hypothesis, a reduction in on site workers will likely result as well as less time spent in the aircraft/hangar etc as most paper work can be completed remotely. As for the retirement of the A380,that aircraft was designed on an old business plan as well at the time and was sure to see its demise with the shrinking demand for air travel, let alone this likely permanent blow to air travel, it’s out of control with all the demand for cheap flights VS DOC of aircraft and maintaining pilot and maintenance salaries to a reasonable rate HA!
If anything this is a time for most operators and aircraft owners to re-evaluate the long term projections for their businesses. Rotary flight has been on shaky legs since 2008 and has never seen its height of demand since. Reduced exploration, reduced demand for commodities, reduced oil and gas and more roads in and out of these areas has all but extinguished a once very viable means of flight, now couple that with automation and drone technology for fixed and rotary wing aircraft and their ever growing popularity and you can see where the industry is going. Pipeline and wildlife survey once done by helicopter is almost all done by drone. Ag spraying drones are up to bay next and will likely be gps / automated. The future projections of 20 years ago are already here, and I think the once foggy crystal ball is becoming more clear...
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Those magic eight balls have been more accurate than the scientists so far .
Wear a mask ? the Scientists said no ,then yes ,then no , then yes if you have been trained in the mask use and no if you have not had the training in in doning and doffing PPE ,then yes if you wear eye protection as well .
The magic eight ball said right from the start wash your hands , wear a mask and do not lick public toilets .

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Young travellers will be back soon...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/young-canad ... -1.1469011

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, it is August

So much for those who predicted six months.

Over 1/2 the people thought 2 years or less.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

trey kule wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:33 pm Well, it is August

So much for those who predicted six months.

Over 1/2 the people thought 2 years or less.
An average vaccine development takes 10 years... just saying...

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Russia will be registering a vaccine in 10 days. Mass vaccinations starting in September. Mark it on your calendar. You heard it here first.

Stock market's gonna go nuts (well that might be a stretch :) )

Last edited by The Raven on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Raven wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 am Russia will be registering a vaccine in 10 days. Mass vaccinations starting in September. Mark it on your calendar. You heard it hear first.

Credible citations please...

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

PitchLink wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:00 am
The Raven wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 am Russia will be registering a vaccine in 10 days. Mass vaccinations starting in September. Mark it on your calendar. You heard it hear first.

BBC Radio 4 (PM). It's a news and current affairs program.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

The Raven wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 amStock market's gonna go nuts (well that might be a stretch :) )
Agree!
Since the start of the pandemic, the market has made absolutely 0 sense! It is clear that the market =\= economy anymore!
Crazy times. I am eager to see.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I'm still pretty confident in my one year prediction. The corona levels seem to be starting to drop off in the USA now with people finally starting to understand that commonsense measures actually make sense. Once the USA gets in a better position (possibly in the next few months) things will probably bounce back next spring.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 am I'm still pretty confident in my one year prediction. The corona levels seem to be starting to drop off in the USA now with people finally starting to understand that commonsense measures actually make sense. Once the USA gets in a better position (possibly in the next few months) things will probably bounce back next spring.
You’re joking right?
250,000 people are arriving in Sturgus right now, 2000 people died in the U.S in the last 24 hours, so I see no end in sight but whatever helps you sleep.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Russian vaccine approved for use. Mass vaccinations to start in October.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53735718

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Raven wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 am

Uh huh.... approved for use does not equal effective use :)

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:51 am

It doesn’t equal non-effective use either.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Raven wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am
PitchLink wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:51 am

It doesn’t equal non-effective use either.

One word...... ZOMBIES

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

so I see no end in sight but whatever helps you sleep.
Well you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you.
One word...... ZOMBIES
Zombies with nukes... scary ;)

Return to “General Comments”