When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

6 months
4%
1 year
15%
2 years
32%
3 years
23%
4 years
7%
5 years
6%
between 5 and 10 years
5%
more than 10 years
3%
never
3%

Total votes: 346

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

What's your guess?
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

Post by flyingcanuck »

Definitely hard to tell. Even if tomorrow they gave out a vaccine I still don't think the flood gates would open with passengers.. Its going to be gradual increase. It may never get back to as good as it was pre COVID

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

People always forget history and "lessons learned". Eventually it will get back to pre-COVID levels, but who knows when.

I believe the full economic fallout of this is yet to be seen and will have a bigger effect than peoples' fear of a new contagion.

Businesses that are just scraping by won't be able to afford travel and will continue with their Zoom meetings.

People that have taken a pay cut or layoff (and that's a good number of people) won't be able to afford their regular vacations or trips to visit family.

Those companies doing a lot of fly-in fly-out flying for mines, "essential service" northern and remote destinations will recover more quickly.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I think if anything this is going to exacerbate the shortage going forward.

I am sure flying for the general public will change as it does when it's faced with major obstacles like COVID-19 or 9/11. There will be a lengthy spool up period, but at the end of the day, people enjoy traveling.

Air Canada was set to hire IIRC up to 900 people this year based on December growth projections. While that demand is acutely surpressed, there is no doubt that level of travel demand will return.

What is certain is any entry level pilots or prospective pilots will be scared away from the industry after this most recent down turn, and it is my belief that the effects of COVID-19 could drive future shortages to be even more extreme.

Time will tell.

DHQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHQ »

I think things will pick back up and that demand that was there will return. But when it does, and things are going great... keep in the back of your mind that Covid-29 will come one day again.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

I think one thing a lot of people have to remember is this.

The majority of people that fly on planes for leisure, live for next month. It’s why all of them need to be bailed out when they lose their jobs. No one actually has savings. And anything remotely attached to entertainment is 99% on the credit card or line of credit.

So for those that say people won’t fly cause of being broke, I wouldn’t be so quick to jump on that opinion.

I think you’re going to see record spending on credit cards when people are freed from their jail cells and leisure travel will be one of the first to spring back up. Don’t forget the #yolo generation will do anything to keep their Instagram page pretty and “baller.” Even if they’re on the brink of bankruptcy. Which as we just saw the government demonstrate, they won’t let happen anyway with all the subsidies and deferral programs.

Case in point? Everyone was contributing to the booming travel market without enough money to whether next months covid19 in February. They will be back flying shortly.

Hope I’m right, so that we can all be flying soon.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 pm I think if anything this is going to exacerbate the shortage going forward.

While that demand is acutely surpressed, there is no doubt that level of travel demand will return.

What is certain is any entry level pilots or prospective pilots will be scared away from the industry after this most recent down turn, and it is my belief that the effects of COVID-19 could drive future shortages to be even more extreme.
I respectfully disagree. My opinion is almost diametrically opposed to this. There is absolutely doubt that that level of travel will return. If anything, businesses and governments are being forced to discover that virtual meetings are often just as effective as the real thing, or at the very least, more cost effective. And let's be real: that's the more important demographic than the flip flop sporting, sweat pant wearing, Swoop fare seeking, human trash that has crowded airports as of late. Furthermore, it's the least well kept secret in the business, that pilots don't become pilots because they think it's a secure job; it's because they think it's cool. Or they're a bit lazy. Or both. Either way, this won't stem the tide of wannabe pilots.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

One word; NEVER, the industry was ripe for a correction and every Board of Directors is knee deep in re-setting their airline's business model to deal with all the issues that existed well before Covid19

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:59 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 pm I think if anything this is going to exacerbate the shortage going forward.

While that demand is acutely surpressed, there is no doubt that level of travel demand will return.

I respectfully disagree. My opinion is almost diametrically opposed to this. There is absolutely doubt that that level of travel will return. If anything, businesses and governments are being forced to discover that virtual meetings are often just as effective as the real thing, or at the very least, more cost effective. And let's be real: that's the more important demographic than the flip flop sporting, sweat pant wearing, Swoop fare seeking, human trash that has crowded airports as of late. Furthermore, it's the least well kept secret in the business, that pilots don't become pilots because they think it's a secure job; it's because they think it's cool. Or they're a bit lazy. Or both. Either way, this won't stem the tide of wannabe pilots.
Respectfully, I hope you are wrong for both our sakes.

Cheers!

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Many friends (not working in aviation) are planning to go on vacation asap. Leisure travel may recover quicker than business.

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/article ... -air-chief

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

GATRKGA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 pm Don’t forget the #yolo generation will do anything to keep their Instagram page pretty and “baller.” Even if they’re on the brink of bankruptcy. Which as we just saw the government demonstrate, they won’t let happen anyway with all the subsidies and deferral programs.
I think it's going to be the retirement generation (Boomers) who are going to bring back flying.

The YOLO generation has been punted back to the starting line once again.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

The last of the baby boomers (born 1964) are still good to work until 2029, why would any senior pilot want to leave a company early if he is healthy, it's the cash cow years after all.

I personally hope the level of insanity never returns. I think this is a real reality check for airlines and they will concentrate on core business. I wouldn't be surprised to see WS think about dumping Encore and going into a fee for departure like Jazz

There was a dramatic increase in jobs and airline expansion that bordered on the absurd and a far more dramatic vertical drop to the trough of the aviation wave. Marginal routes will be dropped and it will be up to smaller carriers stepping up under code share. Commuter airlines have been traditionally been the first to get hammered when there are roll backs so it's only logical that level one carriers would like to explore some kind of buffer.

Ticket prices will go up and likely that is a good thing, maybe the paying public will get better service, options and aircraft comfort. Un-necessary travel was one of the biggest causes for the rapid spread of this virus. It would be nice to see airline industry establish its self above the "grey hound bus" mentality environment.

I'm don't think I'm stuck in a time warp but flying airplanes for a living was a lot more fun way back when.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

In my opinion the demand is going to get back to February 2020 levels in February 2021 (so long as there isn’t another second wave in the fall). This year is probably pretty much done for but a lot of events that should have happened this year have been postponed to next year etc.

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

Until there's a proven vaccine.....it'll be years. Young wannabe's will actually become better pilots, cutting their teeth getting 5,000 hours in King Airs before following that magenta line at AC

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The industry took about 5 years to regain their level of operations after the 9/11 downturn. I would suggest that that would be a good historical metric.

My personal predictions is that there will be no new hiring at the regional or main line airlines before 2025. The only bright spot is going to be for the owners of the smaller 703 operations and flight schools. For the first time in quite awhile they will have the luxury of operating with with a stable group of well qualified pilots.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:59 pm

I'm sure companies would have figured out that hosting web chats would have been more cost effective pre-pandemic. I also think its grossly ignorant to call passengers travelling on Swoop human trash. Is that how you categorize the people who couldn't afford to fly before the entrance of ULCC's? I guess by your opinion about companies saving money by hosting web conferences, they could also save money by putting employees on Swoop or Flair on the same routes that they serve as well to save cost too and avoid the higher prices of AC or WJ right? I also believe people want to become pilots for other reasons than ONLY the two you mentioned. So, I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :rolleyes:

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

Voted 4 years... Because it'll take about 1 month for North America to re-open its businesses, 10 or so months for everybody to get re-hired, or start jobs somewhere else, and 3 years for people to stop cowering in fear and realize that this virus was a convenient economic reset excuse.

Same death rates as the flu, as of April 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLVxx_lBLU&t=1115s

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

BigQ wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:00 pm Voted 4 years... Because it'll take about 1 month for North America to re-open its businesses, 10 or so months for everybody to get re-hired, or start jobs somewhere else, and 3 years for people to stop cowering in fear and realize that this virus was a convenient economic reset excuse.

Same death rates as the flu, as of April 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLVxx_lBLU&t=1115s
Please, catch the virus and report back with your findings.

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

BigQ wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:00 pm Same death rates as the flu, as of April 25.
“I mean people always say, 'Well, the flu does this, the flu does that,'” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said Wednesday during a hearing before the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
“The flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that."

And then there are the rows of refrigerated morgue trucks...
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... -19-deaths

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... yes-by-far

It's not like the flu bro.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I am sure flying for the general public will change as it does when it's faced with major obstacles like COVID-19 or 9/11. There will be a lengthy spool up period, but at the end of the day, people enjoy traveling.

Air Canada was set to hire IIRC up to 900 people this year based on December growth projections. While that demand is acutely surpressed, there is no doubt that level of travel demand will return.

Time will tell.
I agree. Air Canada was 900+ plus pilots short of a full roster, not including the unfilled spots on the Max, plus they offered a bunch of early retirements, plus Jazz was hundreds of pilots short. I say 18 months for full recovery, AC will be more like 1500 pilots short, when big red hires, everybody hires. Remember in 911 there was still a glut of pilots on the market so things went back to normal which was you needed 4000 hours to even apply to the majors....

That's if global currencies don't collapse.

Return to “General Comments”