Getting an aviation headset to work on a MacBook

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Getting an aviation headset to work on a MacBook

Post by ctmorawetz »

I'm trying to figure out a way to get both the microphone and the earphones to work on a MacBook. I have found a DIY way of getting the earphones to work but not the microphone. Does anyone have any idea on a workaround? There are some boxes you can buy that are over $100 USD that I have looked at, but I'm cheap, so I'm hoping to find something for less. Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Getting an aviation headset to work on a MacBook

Post by 7ECA »

You'd require some sort of an adapter to go from 3.5mm (computer audio) to the 6.35mm (headset) to plug directly in - if that even exists.

Depending on your headset there is a much easier work around, if the headset is bluetooth compatible? If it is, you simply pair the headset to the computer and setup the mic/headphones as the appropriate input/output devices for the computer.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

bluetooth?

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

ctmorawetz wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:27 am I'm trying to figure out a way to get both the microphone and the earphones to work on a MacBook. I have found a DIY way of getting the earphones to work but not the microphone. Does anyone have any idea on a workaround? There are some boxes you can buy that are over $100 USD that I have looked at, but I'm cheap, so I'm hoping to find something for less. Thanks in advance!
Sporty’s sells an adapter for 59 bucks that makes an aviation headset work with a computer. It gives you two 3.5mm jacks one for headphones and one for mic. Then find the Y cable that combines them into one plug for the MacBook‘s port. Amazon has them for like 10 bucks. That’d be where I’d start.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

justwork wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:57 ambluetooth?
I have the first version of the A20 which will only bluetooth to phones.
Kaykay wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Sporty’s sells an adapter for 59 bucks that makes an aviation headset work with a computer. It gives you two 3.5mm jacks one for headphones and one for mic. Then find the Y cable that combines them into one plug for the MacBook‘s port. Amazon has them for like 10 bucks. That’d be where I’d start.
I'll have a look at that Y cable. Thanks!

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Are the microphones compatible?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Aviation microphones are carbon type, like old telephones, where the resistance varies with the voice signal, and are not dynamic microphones. Your aircraft radio provides a current source through the microphone in order to create detectable voltage signal. This is not part of a laptop microphone input circuit, so I doubt it will work.

But do report back if it does :-)

EDIT:

On this page is a circuit for an adapter to do what you want. Needs a 9v battery:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenan ... set-socket
OK - that's a line level output, but I"m fairly sure the Macbook input circuit can attenuate the input, and if not, I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out what to do. You could build this circuit for $3, including the battery and the mic socket.

Courtesy of the Aeroelectric Connection here is the input circuit from a King radio. Note the resistor network connecting the input to the +9v rail, which is powering the carbon mic.
http://forum.matronics.com/files/3cbdbc6_197.jpg

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
g5
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by g5 »

Working from home now?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

photofly wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:23 pm Aviation microphones are carbon type, like old telephones, where the resistance varies with the voice signal, and are not dynamic microphones. Your aircraft radio provides a current source through the microphone in order to create detectable voltage signal. This is not part of a laptop microphone input circuit, so I doubt it will work.

But do report back if it does :-)

EDIT:

On this page is a circuit for an adapter to do what you want. Needs a 9v battery:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenan ... set-socket
OK - that's a line level output, but I"m fairly sure the Macbook input circuit can attenuate the input, and if not, I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out what to do. You could build this circuit for $3, including the battery and the mic socket.

Courtesy of the Aeroelectric Connection here is the input circuit from a King radio. Note the resistor network connecting the input to the +9v rail, which is powering the carbon mic.
http://forum.matronics.com/files/3cbdbc6_197.jpg
What about the m1dc amplified dynamic mic?

Or...something like this: https://flightsounds.com/products/fsx-s ... l-aviation

Or, just buy a $20 computer headset.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Build an adapater yourself with this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-USB-PCM2704 ... 3236243880
and save $$$$!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”