Can GA Aircraft Taxi under RVLOP?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Can GA Aircraft Taxi under RVLOP?

Post by Dronepiper »

Hello,

Can GA Aircraft Taxi under RVLOP/LVLOP Rules? I know the cannot takeoff, but can they taxi?

Example:

METAR CYQT 300100Z 07025KT 5SM R12/1400FT/D -RA BKN003 OVC110 14/10 A2972 RMK SC7AC1 SLP070 DENSITY ALT 1100FT=

- Runway level of Service 07: 1200 RVR

- Plan to depart runway 07

- Aerodrome Operating Visibility is 1400 RVR

- Can we taxi under RVLOP, and then takeoff using the following rules from the CAP?

Take-off visibility, in order of precedence, is defined as:

1. the reported RVR of the runway to be used (unless the RVR is fluctuating above and below
the minimum or less than the minimum because of a localized phenomena); or

2. the reported ground visibility of the aerodrome (if the RVR is unavailable, fluctuating above
and below the minimum or less than the minimum because of localized phenomena. A local
phenomenon is deemed to be occurring if the RVR readout is less than the reported ground
visibility); or

Can anyone show me the reference where this is not allowed?
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Can GA Aircraft Taxi under RVLOP?

Post by 2R »

You need an ops spec approval in a commercial operators manual to operate under reduced visibility operations. Or a kind ground that will not cador you for being silly and wanting to take your toys out on a bad day .
But what kind of GA airplane wants to taxi in 25 kt winds , knowing you are going to be in ice after take off in two to four minutes (depending on climb rate ) and does your GA aircraft have good enough climb to get through the ice ?
You might have an interesting conversation trying to insure your next airplane after taxing in 25 kts in a GA aircraft. Most are very light and may require wing walkers to stop them flipping over in strong winds . Ask for help after landing . I landed in a scarry crosswind once and parked on the runway and got help to taxi in . Nobody else was dumb enough to be flying in that wind , but I am not dumb enough to taxi in it .Turns out there were lots of people at the FBO who came out to help . They had been watching the landing and were convinced I would crash in that crosswind. They helped me in and chained the airplane down until the wind dropped and we flew through Bryce Canyon . Had to wait out the wind , sometimes you just have to wait out the weather . Besides where is the fun in flying in crappy weather ?
Why waste fuel on a bad weather day .
Get the right conditions and you will know "Why Birds Sing "

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

I am pretty sure that ops spec if for takeoff under 2600 RVR.

I know GA can’t takeoff, but I want someone to show me a reference thats says GA aircraft cannot taxi under RVOP.

Oh also GA aircraft can include a TBM or Piper Meridian....and those aircraft can take 25kts and some ice.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

2R wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 am You need an ops spec approval in a commercial operators manual to operate under reduced visibility operations. Or a kind ground that will not cador you for being silly and wanting to take your toys out on a bad day .
But what kind of GA airplane wants to taxi in 25 kt winds , knowing you are going to be in ice after take off in two to four minutes (depending on climb rate ) and does your GA aircraft have good enough climb to get through the ice ?
You might have an interesting conversation trying to insure your next airplane after taxing in 25 kts in a GA aircraft. Most are very light and may require wing walkers to stop them flipping over in strong winds . Ask for help after landing . I landed in a scarry crosswind once and parked on the runway and got help to taxi in . Nobody else was dumb enough to be flying in that wind , but I am not dumb enough to taxi in it .Turns out there were lots of people at the FBO who came out to help . They had been watching the landing and were convinced I would crash in that crosswind. They helped me in and chained the airplane down until the wind dropped and we flew through Bryce Canyon . Had to wait out the wind , sometimes you just have to wait out the weather . Besides where is the fun in flying in crappy weather ?
Is 25kt a lot of wind? We routinely flew in 30+ when I was in flight school.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

2R wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 am You need an ops spec approval in a commercial operators manual to operate under reduced visibility operations. Or a kind ground that will not cador you for being silly and wanting to take your toys out on a bad day .
25kts crosswind in an average GA aircraft (Cessna 150 and up, piper cherokees and up) is no big deal. Not sure why you would expect icing after departure in this scenario here? It's 14 degrees on the ground. Flying at 2000 ft agl shouldn't be a problem.

If you are talking about some ultralight homebuilt, then sure, some might have trouble. If you are planning on taxiing on ice or floats, sure, some might have trouble. But the average GA aircraft and pilot should not need help landing or taxiing in a 25kt wind. Even if it is a full crosswind.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

4 degree temp spread should be a higher ceiling than 300 ft broken
5 sm and conflicting rvr being reported ,
Two good reasons to slow down , pay attention and make careful choices .
Not a normal standard air mass . What is the rain doing ?
Is it making ground obscuration or cleaning out the weather ?
What is the wind doing ? Is it clearing or reducing visibility ?
What is the trend ? Where is the nearest VFR weather reported ?
Better to be on the ground wishing you Flying ,than in the air wishing you were on the ground .
Looking out the window and paying attention to the trends will help you make sense of these numbers.
Were there any fronts in the area ? What did the satillite show ? What did the radar show? So many useful sources of good Intel to help make proper informed safe decisions . To taxi around in weather like that is not a problem , get into solid hard IMC at three hundred feet approaching ice you better have the big picture as to where it is safe to fly or you will scare your PAX and Lose friends.
The only decision I would make looking at those numbers is to look at the weather very closely , GFA , satillite , Weather Radar, Live RVR , and weather cams and a look outside , might even do a walk around .Even if only taxiing . No point in taxiing with leaking brakes of a flat tire . Watched a guy do a circuit with a bucket of gravel tie down tied to his aircraft .Walkarounds are important . His excuse was he only started to taxi to the fuel and decided to do circuits as he had enough fuel for circuits and thought he would save refueling again after the flight .
Takes about five minutes to check the weather might take weeks to repair the aircraft from hail or ice damage :)

Last edited by 2R on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

2R wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 am You might have an interesting conversation trying to insure your next airplane after taxing in 25 kts in a GA aircraft. Most are very light and may require wing walkers to stop them flipping over in strong winds .
2R wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:54 am To taxi around in weather like that is not a problem
Well that de-escalated quickly :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

There are no special authorizations for LVOP/RVOP. The Special Authorization would be RVR1200 or RVR600. So if a general aviation airplane would like to takeoff with rvr1200 they would need a POC with the special authorization. Now for this particular scenario I am assuming the tower is open so yes you could depart, if the tower was closed then no you couldn't.

At sites without an active ATC Tower
(outside ATC operating hours, MF, Unicom, CARS, or advisory sites, etc…)
For arrivals, the aerodrome operating visibility is in accordance with the following hierarchy:
1. Runway Visual Range (RVR) for the runway of intended use
2. Ground visibility (METAR)
3. Pilot visibility

For departures, the aerodrome operating visibility is the lowest of the following visibilities:
• Ground visibility (METAR)
• Any reported RVR
• Pilot visibility

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

So the lesson here is don't taxi with leaky brakes, flat tires or buckets of gravel dragging behind your plane whatever the visibility is. Seriously though GA is a pretty loose, broad, and vague term. Departing out of an airport in bad weather in a Cessna 140 is a bit different than in a P210 with full deice or a Piper Merridian

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

How about taxiing for other than departure? Lets say we're taxiing across the field to the self serve fuel pump. Lets say its a VFR aircraft, getting ready to depart when the weather improves.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:31 pm How about taxiing for other than departure? Lets say we're taxiing across the field to the self serve fuel pump. Lets say its a VFR aircraft, getting ready to depart when the weather improves.
I don't see why not, I was told I could taxi a plane across the airport once without a valid C of A, as long as it had a radio and a rotating beacon.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Provided there are no arriving or departing aircraft using the airport, you can use the taxiways for other purposes such as repositioning.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

turbo-prop wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 am There are no special authorizations for LVOP/RVOP. The Special Authorization would be RVR1200 or RVR600. So if a general aviation airplane would like to takeoff with rvr1200 they would need a POC with the special authorization. Now for this particular scenario I am assuming the tower is open so yes you could depart, if the tower was closed then no you couldn't.

At sites without an active ATC Tower
(outside ATC operating hours, MF, Unicom, CARS, or advisory sites, etc…)
For arrivals, the aerodrome operating visibility is in accordance with the following hierarchy:
1. Runway Visual Range (RVR) for the runway of intended use
2. Ground visibility (METAR)
3. Pilot visibility

For departures, the aerodrome operating visibility is the lowest of the following visibilities:
• Ground visibility (METAR)
• Any reported RVR
• Pilot visibility
You are correct with one exception. You could still takeoff with the tower closed. Both the RVR and vis (5nm) are above the Aerodrome operating vis. Unless there are is another runway reporting a lower RVR.

Return to “General Comments”