Can we fly for fun during the Covid19

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Can we fly for fun during the Covid19

Post by Civic »

Just getting any clarification during these covid 19 times, can we get in our light plane and just fly even though it’s not “essential flying”? I’ve heard from others if there is an incident and find out what you were doing was not essential you can get fined.
What are the thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Can we fly for fun during the Covid19

Post by digits_ »

Civic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:58 pm Just getting any clarification during these covid 19 times, can we get in our light plane and just fly even though it’s not “essential flying”? I’ve heard from others if there is an incident and find out what you were doing was not essential you can get fined.
What are the thoughts?
Do you have a source for that? Fined on what basis?

If you can go flying without meeting other peole, why not?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Yes you can take your plane out and do whatever you want.

Most airports are on reduced staff and services though pnr for fuel, etc.

You cannot cross the usa/can border "for fun" though and even some provincial borders have some controls. Check with your province.
Most reserves are closed to the public too.

IF anything were to happen, God forbid, you will be publicly shamed for wasting emergency resources and/or "fined" provincially for that.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Heliian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:18 pm Yes you can take your plane out and do whatever you want.

You cannot cross the usa/can border "for fun" though and even some provincial borders have some controls. Check with your province.

IF anything were to happen, God forbid, you will be publicly shamed for wasting emergency resources and/or "fined" provincially for that.

Sounds good, even if the little airplane is owned by a corporation we can still fly .
Thanks

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

This again? Why wouldn't you be able to? Everything has a risk, your kid could bust his leg on the trampoline, requiring emergency services. Was jumping on the trampoline necessary? No, but it's going to happen. Why is flying for fun any different?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Heliian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:18 pm Yes you can take your plane out and do whatever you want.

The local reserve near me is closed. They set up blockades (they’re experts in that :mrgreen: ). Not sure how things will be when the locals run out of their cheap bags of Rez smokes though. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:21 pm This again? Why wouldn't you be able to? Everything has a risk, your kid could bust his leg on the trampoline, requiring emergency services. Was jumping on the trampoline necessary? No, but it's going to happen. Why is flying for fun any different?
A lot of people don’t share your opinion. You should see the guys getting crucified on some of the motorcycle groups I’m part of for going riding during all this.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

No local authority can fine you for flying.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

But how do we define necessary travel? Everything is so vague right now it's ridiculous, some people go to the grocery store everyday and others go once a week, it's still essential. My Dad goes everyday, he doesn't meal plan, lives one day at a time, I think it's ridiculous and it's really unnecessary travel but wait, it's groceries and that's essential.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Besides, Continental and Lycoming strongly recommend their engines are brought up to operating temperature for 1 hour every week or so, so their is your reason to go flying.

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

Around here non-essential travel between communities is a no-no and non-essential travellers coming into the territory are being turned away, but to the best of my knowledge flying for fun in and out of your home airport has nothing at all specifically saying you can't.

Just this week I was talking to a buddy who works in the tower and he said here at our home airport IFR movements are down, airline traffic has fallen off a cliff, the flight school closed entirely, but non-flight school VFR GA traffic is actually up right now. Seems like every 172 and super cub on the field has been out for a rip since the weather turned nice, lots of self isolation at 4500' going on around here.

As far as safety goes for what little it is worth with all the stay at home recommendations lately I've heard second hand from someone working at the hospital that out and about injuries are way down this spring, but the number of people catching fingers in the circular saw and falling off the ladder is way up as all of the office dicks are bored at home and trying to do all the house projects they've been talking about for years.

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

absolutely, and you can get almost any block overhead YKF these days for aerobatics.

Return to “General Comments”