Community/Residential Air Parks

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Community/Residential Air Parks

Post by Panama Jack »

Over the years I have often lived in quiet envy of some friends south of the 49th Parallel who live in community airparks- where their garage houses their aircraft and going flying means just a short taxi from their home to the runway. These airparks don't seem to be all that uncommon, with prices accessible to the devout with an upper middle-class budget.

North of the border, though, I haven't really seen any. I know that private strips are a thing if you live in the boondocks and inherited a large plot of land that has been in you family for a century, or maybe have an income and budget to support a $8 million rural home.

I am wondering why there aren’t more such aviation communities? Is it merely a lack of property developers connecting with potential buyers, or some higher obstacles?

Love to hear your thoughts, as well as identification of any airport communities that exist in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Community/Residential Air Parks

Post by Heliian »

Winter maintenance would be a nightmare.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

There's Cable Head Airpark in PEI. (CCA3)

https://cablehead.weebly.com/

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

We stayed at Cable Head many years ago, and had a great time. My wife and I flew across to the Magdalen Islands for the day.

I've known a number of attempted starts at air parts, they did not seem to catch on. Their used to be one north of Nobleton, just off the old Kleinburg VOR, but it seems that all the home owners lost interest in flying, as they kept the houses, but closed the runway. Guelph airpark is a similar example from early days.

And yes, I can say from a lot of experience on the tractor and excavator, runway maintenance is a lot of work! I estimate that I work 8 - 10 maintenance hours for every hour I fly from my runway - you have to really want it!

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

There is one South of Sherwood Park AB. with a grass strip. It might be the Twin Island as showed up on google maps.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Panama Jack wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:57 pm

North of the border, though, I haven't really seen any. I know that private strips are a thing if you live in the boondocks and inherited a large plot of land that has been in you family for a century, or maybe have an income and budget to support a $8 million rural home.

In the prairies you can have a decent house and runway with hangar for less than 400k. Land is cheap.

Alternatively go live next to a lake and buy a float plane.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

I think another big part of it is, lots of folks have a house on a lake, with a dock. Want an airplane at home, buy on the water and you wont need to deal with all the hassles of runway maintenance etc. Floatplanes tied to a dock in front of the house are not uncommon, and pretty much kill the market for that airpark.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

digits_ wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:11 am Alternatively go live next to a lake and buy a float plane.
hehe, you posted while I was typing.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Sure, buying a place on the lake, and a floatplane is great too, but it's a different approach than a community around a runway. Though anything is possible, some things which are fairly practical at a land aerodrome, are greatly more challenging on the lakeshore. Hangars are fairly easy near runways, not so easy by the lake. Landplanes only sink in their spot during a few weeks in the spring, but they don't sink far. Floatplanes can sink anytime the water is not hard. If you want to fly back to the airport (for fuel maybe), having an amphib would be nice, though by the time you've paid for it, and insured it, the lot near the runway is looking more affordable again!

Both ways of doing it have their benefits and detriments - which is why there are floatplanes at home at the lake, and homes around runways - just understand the practicalities of each....

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:26 am

And yes, I can say from a lot of experience on the tractor and excavator, runway maintenance is a lot of work! I estimate that I work 8 - 10 maintenance hours for every hour I fly from my runway - you have to really want it!
What do you use the excavator for during regular maintenance?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

What do you use the excavator for during regular maintenance?
Burying big O pipe, keeping the ditches open, picking the rocks which grow with the frost, that bang my mower blades - and, generally having fun at 2 knots! I said it was work, I didn't say that I didn't enjoy it!

I was going to go splashing today, but it was so windy, the excavator looked less vulnerable to the wind!

pirocco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pirocco »

Few in Alberta, Lachute. Drummondville And Beloeil where you can have an hangar with living space.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I believe Vernon, BC, had a proposal for live in hangars - no idea what came of it.

Princeton, BC, is rumoured to have proposed some sort of community/residential setup as well. As I recall, the idea died due to a lack of interest - although a lack of funding is probably as likely.

And then you've got the smaller airports where people have been trying to unofficially have their in-law type suites in hangars, now finding out that the airport is under the thumb of their municipal/local government and that they'll be evicted if a "residence" is found.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Like others said I think winter maintenance and probably weather in general make it a more difficult proposition up here. Also a much smaller GA population.

Anyone know of any good size fly-in communities in the USA where they get regular snowfall in the winter? All I know of are in nice-weather-year-round states, but I haven't really looked into it.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

https://www.bifold.com/fly-in-communities.php

https://www.airparkmap.com/

These sites have more listings for fly-in communities than you can shake a fist at.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

There's a few fly-in communities around Chicago, which gets a lot of snow and has cold winters.

If anyone wants to start an airpark east of Toronto and west of Trenton, let me know! I'll invest and move in.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I think Mable lake in the B.C. interior is live at airpark or a fly in resort anyway. The nice thing about a live in airpark is all your neighbors enjoy airplanes. I imagine if you bought a place on a Lake and parked a float plane there you'd have at least a few neighbors that would hate you, especially if you had a C185.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Hudson Island in the Gulf Islands shares a strip from end to end right down the middle of the island. Last I talked to someone there was over 10 years ago and it didn't seem like many residents used the strip though.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

pirocco wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:07 pm Few in Alberta, Lachute. Drummondville And Beloeil where you can have an hangar with living space.
What "few" are in Alberta?

Tailwind W10
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tailwind W10 »

SkySailor wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 pm What "few" are in Alberta?
3 that I know of:
Twin Island Airpark near Cooking Lake. Grass runway with acreages around it.

Okatoks Air Ranch. Unclear to me that there's any live-in hangars there, though certainly homes backing onto the runway.

SkyPort at Wetaskiwin airport. I live in my hangar here. Biggest problem here is stupid-expensive property taxes. (full commercial tax rate)

For the most part it appears various levels of government throughout Canada haven't the slightest idea that aviation can be recreational, so all aviation zoning is commercial, with the associated tax rates and prohibition of residences on commercially zoned land. In Wetaskiwin, city council has tacitly allowed "Security Suites" to be occupied 365 days a year, as a workaround. At the same time they bumped "Airport Commercial" zoning to the full 'non-residential' tax rates of the rest of the city, which tripled the tax rates I was expecting, and the existing hangars around the airports got tax rates bumped up equally. I suspect similar problems exist all around the country.

Gerry

Return to “General Comments”