Covid 19 testing for those of us still working

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Covid 19 testing for those of us still working

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Some industries are testing everyone and rightfully so. For flight crew unless we have symptoms and go to a hospital we won't be tested. I am hoping as testing improves all essential workers will be allowed access to testing even if we are symptom free. Ontario's guidelines below show how narrow the current scope of testing is, not even families of health care workers are tested at this point unless the show symptoms.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... idance.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Covid 19 testing for those of us still working

Post by co-joe »

Which is why I don't believe any statistics about infection rates, death rates, or recovery rates.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

whistlerboy02 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 am Some industries are testing everyone and rightfully so. For flight crew unless we have symptoms and go to a hospital we won't be tested. I am hoping as testing improves all essential workers will be allowed access to testing even if we are symptom free. Ontario's guidelines below show how narrow the current scope of testing is, not even families of health care workers are tested at this point unless the show symptoms.
Which industries are testing everyone?

As far as I know, unless you're showing a symptom or have come in contact with an infected person, you're not getting tested.

There just isn't the testing capacity to do every single man, woman and child.

Personally, I dread the test more than virus. The swab goes quite far back into your nasal cavity.

Hang in there, things are looking up.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Just wait for the pilot incapacitation events to shoot up when they can't handle the cabin altitude....

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

alkaseltzer wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:46 pm Just wait for the pilot incapacitation events to shoot up when they can't handle the cabin altitude....
I seriously doubt this will happen.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Heliian wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am
whistlerboy02 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 am Some industries are testing everyone and rightfully so. For flight crew unless we have symptoms and go to a hospital we won't be tested. I am hoping as testing improves all essential workers will be allowed access to testing even if we are symptom free. Ontario's guidelines below show how narrow the current scope of testing is, not even families of health care workers are tested at this point unless the show symptoms.
Which industries are testing everyone?

As far as I know, unless you're showing a symptom or have come in contact with an infected person, you're not getting tested.

There just isn't the testing capacity to do every single man, woman and child.

Personally, I dread the test more than virus. The swab goes quite far back into your nasal cavity.

Hang in there, things are looking up.
My thoughts exactly :oops:

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:46 pm Just wait for the pilot incapacitation events to shoot up when they can't handle the cabin altitude....
We didn't think we'd be in this mess 6 months ago. You've seen what happens to the lungs, at least in the short term. It'll happen.

If smoking makes you hypoxic at altitude, one can ONLY imagine the serious implications of Covid-lungs. Do we know if this will have an effect as a drunk crew member?

We just don't know what TC or the FAA will mandate when it does. I.e. Hourly O2 saturation checks for those who are asymptomatic. Will unions negotiate disability coverage? Loss of license? Masks in the flight deck? Gasper fan ducts to be slightly modified?

If TC is reading this....please coordinate something with ICAO/FAA on steps to self isolate crew. Why haven't you forced employers to monitor body temperatures of all crew at the gates? (If you're expecting crews to book off and take a hit on their monthly block, you have another thing coming).

Awaiting to see what will happen.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 pm
We didn't think we'd be in this mess 6 months ago. You've seen what happens to the lungs, at least in the short term. It'll happen.

If smoking makes you hypoxic at altitude, one can ONLY imagine the serious implications of Covid-lungs. Do we know if this will have an effect as a drunk crew member?

We just don't know what TC or the FAA will mandate when it does. I.e. Hourly O2 saturation checks for those who are asymptomatic. Will unions negotiate disability coverage? Loss of license? Masks in the flight deck? Gasper fan ducts to be slightly modified?

If TC is reading this....please coordinate something with ICAO/FAA on steps to self isolate crew. Why haven't you forced employers to monitor body temperatures of all crew at the gates? (If you're expecting crews to book off and take a hit on their monthly block, you have another thing coming).

Nothing, it's already here and if you're asymptomatic then you have no symptoms. Reduced lung function would be a symptom.

And if you can't take a day off when you're sick, then you are the problem.

Should have taken a different career if you can't handle calling in sick. I'm sure your copilots would agree.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

We’re in this mess because of media and political overreaction.

Yeah.. I’ve seen what it does to the lungs of people over 80 with underlying problem like COPD.
Well... I flew an unpressurized aircraft at 8-10,000 feet with double pneumonia. Finished the flight, felt really off. Went straight to bed when I got home. Took the next day off. Checked into emerge that evening and was in the hospital for a week.

At no point did I feel like I was going to pass out or become incapacitated while I was flying. Pneumonia is two or three times more deadly than COVID 19.

If you can pass a Category 1 medical, you probably aren’t going to be incapacitated by COVID.

The one time I did experience incapacitation was due to a particularly bad bout of seasonal allergies. I couldn’t see.
What test do you want for that?

Good god, don’t give them ideas! I’ve thrown a sat probe on in flight and it’s scary sometimes.

Turn off the TV and go outside. UV kills coronaviruses. That’s why flu seasons are tracked over the northern hemisphere winter.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Yeah.. I’ve seen what it does to the lungs of people over 80 with underlying problem like COPD.
Well... I flew an unpressurized aircraft at 8-10,000 feet with double pneumonia. Finished the flight, felt really off. Went straight to bed when I got home. Took the next day off. Checked into emerge that evening and was in the hospital for a week.

At no point did I feel like I was going to pass out or become incapacitated while I was flying. Pneumonia is two or three times more deadly than COVID 19.

If you can pass a Category 1 medical, you probably aren’t going to be incapacitated by COVID.

The one time I did experience incapacitation was due to a particularly bad bout of seasonal allergies. I couldn’t see.

Good god, don’t give them ideas! I’ve thrown a sat probe on in flight and it’s scary sometimes.

Turn off the TV and go outside. UV kills coronaviruses. That’s why flu seasons are tracked over the northern hemisphere winter.
Healthy people can lose 30% of their lung capacity, seems like cause for alarm

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

gtappl wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Healthy people can lose 30% of their lung capacity, seems like cause for alarm
And that is EXACTLY why Transport Canada needs to be pre-emptive on this.

Our profession is at great risks for blood clots as it is. Now we have this double whammy of the virus attacking our lung capacity, while asymptomatic? Permanent scarring possibly?
AC medical does lung capacity tests, never had to do it anywhere else in my life of flying...? What's reasonable to get checked? People, we're not driving on the street, we are operating a pressurized vessel that has real consequences at altitude.

I would argue that good airmanship and CRM will now include recognizing the signs of a pulmonary embolism or risk factors in your fellow co-pilot. While a miniscule risk before, we are now in an environment where this should come to the forefront. I.e. baby aspirin within an arm's distance, constant monitoring and assessment etc.

Heliian, absolutely agree. However, I find it on both sides of the cockpit. Especially irritating if I've come across a skipper acting as a tough guy, pre-covid. However, depends on the company you work for and your respective CBA.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:27 pm
Heliian, absolutely agree. However, I find it on both sides of the cockpit. Especially irritating if I've come across a skipper acting as a tough guy, pre-covid. However, depends on the company you work for and your respective CBA.
I’m not sure what difference the company you work for makes, or what your CBA says in this regard.
It is your personal and legal responsibility to remove yourself from duty if you feel unfit.

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm We’re in this mess because of media and political overreaction.
We are in this mess because the novel coronavirus is a brand new pathogen that moved to humans and we have no natural immunity to this disease. It is a deadly disease with serious healthcare ramifications. It is not made up or part of a "Plandemic".
iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm Yeah.. I’ve seen what it does to the lungs of people over 80 with underlying problem like COPD.
I seriously doubt that you have. Are you respirologist? ER doc? ER nurse? Then no, you have no clue. So shut up and quit talking like you know what you're talking about.
iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm Pneumonia is two or three times more deadly than COVID 19.
Again, what are you talking about? COVID-19 often leads to pneumonia which is how is kills people. So maybe all causes of pneumonia kill more people than COVID-19, but the cases of COVID-19 that lead to pneumonia are deadly.

iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm Turn off the TV and go outside. UV kills coronaviruses. That’s why flu seasons are tracked over the northern hemisphere winter.
Again, shut up already. Coronavirus manifests itself in the lungs. You going to expose your lungs to UV? Good one, Doc. Maybe swig some bleach or inject Lysol too? "Almost like a cleaning."

Stick to what you know, because obviously science or medicine ain't it.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

flyguy73 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 am
iflyforpie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm Pneumonia is two or three times more deadly than COVID 19.
Again, what are you talking about? COVID-19 often leads to pneumonia which is how is kills people. So maybe all causes of pneumonia kill more people than COVID-19, but the cases of COVID-19 that lead to pneumonia are deadly.
+1 This guy thinks you can catch a case of the pneumonia!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 pm If TC is reading this....please coordinate something with ICAO/FAA on steps to self isolate crew. Why haven't you forced employers to monitor body temperatures of all crew at the gates? (If you're expecting crews to book off and take a hit on their monthly block, you have another thing coming).

Please don't think nothing is being done.

My company has done a number of flights repatriating people who were positive for COVID-19.

There are very specific precautions that need to be taken. Cabin crew are in full protective gear and distancing is carefully observed. Aircraft is divided into sections - you are not allowed out of your section as passenger.

There are also areas on board for any crew member who develops symptoms to self isolate until landing.

Aircraft is disinfected on arrival.

All of the above is clearly documented. To the best of my knowledge not a single operating crew member has developed symptoms so far.

When I reported I had a cough under the new guidelines I was immediately sent home. It wasn't possible to get a COVID-19 test as I didn't meet the testing criteria. So I sat at home for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks with no further symptoms and no more cough I was allowed back to work.

Since I followed the company policies correctly I got paid for the 2 weeks at home. No consequences for honesty.

As an extra - all crew members on my current flights need to have blood pressure and temperature measured before departure and at top of descent. This is forwarded to the company medical department.

Depending on destination crew are not allowed out of the Hotel - all meals via room service. I'm doing this as much as possible anyway - required or not.

In Australia all crew entering the country have to be quarantined for 2 weeks.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am
alkaseltzer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 pm If TC is reading this....please coordinate something with ICAO/FAA on steps to self isolate crew. Why haven't you forced employers to monitor body temperatures of all crew at the gates? (If you're expecting crews to book off and take a hit on their monthly block, you have another thing coming).

Please don't think nothing is being done.

My company has done a number of flights repatriating people who were positive for COVID-19.

There are very specific precautions that need to be taken. Cabin crew are in full protective gear and distancing is carefully observed. Aircraft is divided into sections - you are not allowed out of your section as passenger.

There are also areas on board for any crew member who develops symptoms to self isolate until landing.

Aircraft is disinfected on arrival.

All of the above is clearly documented. To the best of my knowledge not a single operating crew member has developed symptoms so far.

When I reported I had a cough under the new guidelines I was immediately sent home. It wasn't possible to get a COVID-19 test as I didn't meet the testing criteria. So I sat at home for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks with no further symptoms and no more cough I was allowed back to work.

Since I followed the company policies correctly I got paid for the 2 weeks at home. No consequences for honesty.

As an extra - all crew members on my current flights need to have blood pressure and temperature measured before departure and at top of descent. This is forwarded to the company medical department.

Depending on destination crew are not allowed out of the Hotel - all meals via room service. I'm doing this as much as possible anyway - required or not.

In Australia all crew entering the country have to be quarantined for 2 weeks.
I understand that you work for an EU carrier, and generally, hats off to the EU, I find you guys are always ahead of the curve in this respect.

Not the same in Canada, unfortunately.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Here is an article about guys working in the UAE. Because all flights are international, they have to deal with the health sanitation measures imposed by each country.

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/tr ... -1.1017487

I haven’t flown for almost 2 months (with the exception of my Tello in my living room. The last two flights I had I was subjected to swabs upon arrival at home base. It is unpleasant and quite frankly, I am happy to be sitting on the ground rather than having someone try to etch my brain after every flight.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm I understand that you work for an EU carrier, and generally, hats off to the EU, I find you guys are always ahead of the curve in this respect.

Not the same in Canada, unfortunately.
This is company specific - doesn't come from the Authorities.

I've positioned on two major EU Airlines recently.

KLM - No social distancing (full B738) and no requirement for masks.

Lufthansa - No social distancing (2/3 full Embraer) and they were just about to introduce mandatory wearing of masks while on board.

Very disappointing. Positioning flights are the highest risk activity I'm presently doing.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”