CPL Flight Test - Ground

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

CPL Flight Test - Ground

Post by 5 And Below »

Hi all,

I am getting ready for my CPL flight test - ground portion. Does anyone know of any books or resources that have some commonly asked ground questions? I've been trying to find something but dont't see much.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CPL Flight Test - Ground

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

First thing is to go through the CPL flight test guide and review the performance criteria for the ground items 2A,2B,2C, and 23A and ask yourself am I confident I can answer the questions ?

For example the Performance Criteria for 2A, paragraph a is

"Ensure that flight authorization is confirmed and encompasses the requirements of the intended flight in accordance with the applicable operational control system"

Can you answer that question confidently ? If the answers is UMMMMMM I am not sure, than you know what to start working on :)

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

BPP...

Say again all after “Ensure...

Answer it! I had to read it twice to understand what it meant.
Showed it to a couple of other pilots. ......

You have to work for TC to wordsmith sentences like that.
Most of us use English or French.
Before they foist that on a CPL wannabee, TC should do a little unbiased survey outside their own offices , with working commercial pilots. Just to understand the sentence.

I can only speak for myself, but if I was asked that, I would have a two word answer....rhymes with duck cough.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

trey kule wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm You have to work for TC to wordsmith sentences like that.
I believe he does work for Transport... :lol:

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

5 And Below wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:48 pm Hi all,

I am getting ready for my CPL flight test - ground portion. Does anyone know of any books or resources that have some commonly asked ground questions? I've been trying to find something but dont't see much.

Thanks
A lot of instructors and flight schools have some sort of guide put together that they give out to students that helps to review a baseline level of knowledge. But as BPF said above, your best bet is to look at the CPL FT guide, go through the ground items, so that would be all of the items under 2, 23 a, b and c. 29 and 30 can easily make it into the ground portion as well under scenario based questions.

Remember that almost everything can be referred to from reference material such as the POH/AFM, Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), Flight Training Manual (FTM) and other TC approved publications. Just be sure that you can find it readily as the Pilot Examiner (PE) isn't going to wait all day for you to find the answer. My understanding is that the only things you need memorized on the ground are the 3 V speeds - Vx, Vy and Va.

Best way to study is to have the manuals mentioned above and see if you can find the information when looking at the topics mentioned in the FT guide.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm First thing is to go through the CPL flight test guide and review the performance criteria for the ground items 2A,2B,2C, and 23A and ask yourself am I confident I can answer the questions ?

For example the Performance Criteria for 2A, paragraph a is

"Ensure that flight authorization is confirmed and encompasses the requirements of the intended flight in accordance with the applicable operational control system"

Can you answer that question confidently ? If the answers is UMMMMMM I am not sure, than you know what to start working on :)
It means make sure the aircraft is dispatched in accordance with FTU SOPs and flight authorization procedures .... I think :D

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

praveen4143 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm
5 And Below wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:48 pm Hi all,

Thanks
A lot of instructors and flight schools have some sort of guide put together that they give out to students that helps to review a baseline level of knowledge. But as BPF said above, your best bet is to look at the CPL FT guide, go through the ground items, so that would be all of the items under 2, 23 a, b and c. 29 and 30 can easily make it into the ground portion as well under scenario based questions.

Remember that almost everything can be referred to from reference material such as the POH/AFM, Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), Flight Training Manual (FTM) and other TC approved publications. Just be sure that you can find it readily as the Pilot Examiner (PE) isn't going to wait all day for you to find the answer. My understanding is that the only things you need memorized on the ground are the 3 V speeds - Vx, Vy and Va.

Best way to study is to have the manuals mentioned above and see if you can find the information when looking at the topics mentioned in the FT guide.
Thanks for the advice :)

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Know your speeds, fuel consumption, baggage weights etc really well.

Also try to anticipate questions you might be asked along your XC. Such as are you flying over any Class F airspace, nuclear power plants, blasting areas, aerodromes, distance from shore etc.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The ground portion for the CPL flight test, realistically, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. It's basically a discussion on decision making, once you've gone over the quick fire questions about speeds (and the V-ref/approach speed nonsense). What's the route, where do we need to stop, any concerns along the route - is the weather suitable? Should the flight "proceed"?

The PPL ground portion is a full colonoscopy, without sedation, in comparison.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you don't have it memorized, at least know exactly where to look it up.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

co-joe wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm If you don't have it memorized, at least know exactly where to look it up.
...and if you don't know where to look it up, your best guess is that it is in either the POH or the Canada flight supplement.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

... or the Designated Airspace Handbook!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

7ECA wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:36 pm The ground portion for the CPL flight test, realistically, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
If an examiner is doing the ground portion of a flight test in 15 minutes then they are not fulfilling there obligations as a Ministers delegate. The Flight Test Guide is not a menu as In I will take exercise, 2A(d),3B(a),and a half order of 3C, no desert please.

You should expect a CPL flight test ground portion to touch on every portion of the performance criteria, although a good examiner will ask questions so that the answer will combine several performance criteria in order to save time and be more efficient.

While the Flight Test Guide like most TC publications is far from perfect, however it does cover most of the foundation skills necessary to be a competent CPL and the bar is set pretty low, so If you can't answer the questions in the Flight Test Guide you need to study more.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:25 am
7ECA wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:36 pm The ground portion for the CPL flight test, realistically, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
If an examiner is doing the ground portion of a flight test in 15 minutes then they are not fulfilling there obligations as a Ministers delegate. The Flight Test Guide is not a menu as In I will take exercise, 2A(d),3B(a),and a half order of 3C, no desert please.

You should expect a CPL flight test ground portion to touch on every portion of the performance criteria, although a good examiner will ask questions so that the answer will combine several performance criteria in order to save time and be more efficient.
That's what I was getting at, although realistically it's also up to the candidate to provide detailed enough answers to make it possible to have a reasonably efficient ground portion. If the examiner wants to sit and play judge, jury and executioner going through a full inquisition that's entirely their prerogative - but, if the candidate displays reasonable knowledge and is aware of where to find the requisite answers (to the questions that do not require answers from memory) - is that necessary?

Return to “General Comments”