Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

Post by Jet Jockey »

I guess with the COVID-19 crisis ongoing it is not a surprise to see this.

Hope we can all go back to some sort of normalcy sooner rather than later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.5572596
---------- ADS -----------

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

The harsh reality is that the airline industry as a whole was due for a correction long before Covid19 was even a thing, it provided the trigger for what was inevitable and necessary.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:09 am The harsh reality is that the airline industry as a whole was due for a correction long before Covid19 was even a thing, it provided the trigger for what was inevitable and necessary.
Perhaps some correction but not to this extent... We are talking about 50% of the Air Canada work force here.

I hope you don't mean that the "correction" you are talking about merits this kind of correction for Air Canada or the industry as a whole because that is going to hurt for a very long, long time and it will destroy the economy of this country and of many other countries if this crisis continues too long.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

AC only furloughed 50% for other airlines it will be 100%; a harsh reality, very unfortunate but real just the same. Now its about moving forward Covid19 is over.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I'm curious the breakdown in what people are travelling prior to covid. Business vs leisure vs essential government etc.

My guess is business travel will permanently reduce by about 50 percent. Many businesses have moved to alternate methods to conduct meeting etc.

Leisure travel will come back gradually, maybe back to 100 percent in 5 years. But obviously this is anyone's guess.

And essential or government travel will be here to stay.

Time for me to look for a different career!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

T
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:26 am Now its about moving forward Covid19 is over.
I’m pretty sure you meant to say once Covid 19 is over.

These numbers are harsh, 50-60% of the work force. But in light of AC hoping for travel to return to 25% of last years numbers later in the year still not as bad as it could be. They absolutely and immediately have to take action to ensure the airline survives or there will be no job to come back to.

To ensure there is an economy to bring back to life though governments need to pull their head out of their ass, particularly in Quebec, and put in place as quickly as possible the measures and conditions that will allow us to do that safely. If it can’t be done safely people will not feel confident travelling, shopping and going to restaurants which will stretch this agony out for years instead of months.

The faster we bring this under control the more money people will have at the other end. The more money people have at the other end the more they will spend and the faster we will get our jobs back.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Nope Covid19 is over just like 9/11 is over, AC upper management isn't sitting at the board table discussing Covid19. They are developing/crafting a revised business and operational plan for the future. Quite frankly many of the issues they will be addressing existed well before Covid19, it's just the catalyst for action.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:26 am T
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:26 am Now its about moving forward Covid19 is over.

These numbers are harsh, 50-60% of the work force. But in light of AC hoping for travel to return to 25% of last years numbers later in the year still not as bad as it could be. They absolutely and immediately have to take action to ensure the airline survives or there will be no job to come back to.

To ensure there is an economy to bring back to life though governments need to pull their head out of their ass, particularly in Quebec, and put in place as quickly as possible the measures and conditions that will allow us to do that safely. If it can’t be done safely people will not feel confident travelling, shopping and going to restaurants which will stretch this agony out for years instead of months.

The faster we bring this under control the more money people will have at the other end. The more money people have at the other end the more they will spend and the faster we will get our jobs back.
It’s obvious what they need to do: protect those in nursing homes and the rest of us can go back to living. This disease doesn’t kill healthy young (under 65) people: of 5500+ deaths in Canada, not one person under 20 has died due to Covid. Between 20-40 there’s maybe 5, and they had underlying health problems. Enough with the fear mongering from the government and the media.

https://nationalpost.com/news/four-out- ... elders/amp

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 am Nope Covid19 is over just like 9/11 is over, AC upper management isn't sitting at the board table discussing Covid19.
Wanna bet?
ALPApolicy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 am It’s obvious what they need to do: protect those in nursing homes and the rest of us can go back to living.
The moment you devise a plan to protect those in nursing/retirement homes that works please, let the world know. So far no one has figured it out and earth could really use your obvious plan.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Rockie, they haven’t even tried. Take New York’s Democratic Governor: until a couple of weeks ago he was forcing nursing homes to accept seniors who had tested positive for Covid.

But you’re right, it’s an unsolvable problem.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

It's obvious the only solution is to quarantine everyone as opposed to those who are at risk. For instance, I think YOU should be quarantined at home for the next two years and we’ll figure out a way to get you Boost and Pampers.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:15 am It's obvious the only solution is to quarantine everyone as opposed to those who are at risk. For instance, I think YOU should be quarantined at home for the next two years and we’ll figure out a way to get you Boost and Pampers.
Ha ha...you crack me up.
ALPApolicy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am But you’re right, it’s an unsolvable problem.
Then why do you keep pushing it as a solution? It's like saying "we should go to Mars", or "we should cure cancer".
Nice idea, but that's all it is.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I made a ham-fisted attempt to be ironic.

Of course what I suggest for a solution is achievable. It’s called ‘Segment and Shield’, and it will be the approach a majority of Western governments will take going forward, as the public will not accept indefinite shelter in place when the risk is absurdly low to the majority of society.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 am
Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:26 am T

It’s obvious what they need to do: protect those in nursing homes and the rest of us can go back to living. This disease doesn’t kill healthy young (under 65) people: of 5500+ deaths in Canada, not one person under 20 has died due to Covid. Between 20-40 there’s maybe 5, and they had underlying health problems. Enough with the fear mongering from the government and the media.

https://nationalpost.com/news/four-out- ... elders/amp

I could not agree more!

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Does every thread have to turn into a pissing match between you two? It's pretty clear you are both so far dug in that nothing will change your minds.

There's a PM function, try it and stop using every thread to argue with each other.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

It’s a relevant, on topic exchange of ideas that hopefully will get people working again. Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

The world over reacted and we are all going to suffer for it .. The government failed us and will continue to fail us in the days ahead.

This is what we get for electing a drama teacher who's riding his fathers coattails ...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm The world over reacted and we are all going to suffer for it .. The government failed us and will continue to fail us in the days ahead.

This is what we get for electing a drama teacher who's riding his fathers coattails ...
Ok fair comment. However enlighten us on what “Scheer Nonsense, The Toole , Chopper MacKay” would do better if either was the sitting PM.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Old fella wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:23 pm
Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm The world over reacted and we are all going to suffer for it .. The government failed us and will continue to fail us in the days ahead.

Ok fair comment. However enlighten us on what “Scheer Nonsense, The Toole , Chopper MacKay” would do better if either was the sitting PM.
There’s an easy answer for that.

Just look at Alberta under Kenney. He thinks that oil is the solution for everything and his province is crashing hard because of it.

You think Trudeau is bad going um and ah in his second language? Listen to Kenney do it in his first!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm The world over reacted and we are all going to suffer for it
My neighbor just lost her mother to the virus, you would have a hard time convincing her and the millions of others around the world that governments overreacted.

Our business depends on two things: a) people feel safe and confident getting on an airplane, and: b) they have the money to spend.

Handing out free viral infections with your pretzels on an airplane is not going to convince anyone to book a ticket, and mass infections ala the "herd immunity" crowd will only make this crisis worse and prolong it. Polls in Canada and the US show the majority of people are uncomfortable opening up without the tools to quickly detect, trace and isolate people who are infected. It confounds me why governments are refusing to get that message and do something about it.

Return to “General Comments”