Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

Post by Rockie »

tsgarp wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm Dude, just stop. This is no longer aviation related and you are making yourself look bad.
Sorry, you lost me at "Dude"
iflyforpie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:27 pm Car accidents are contagious
I can only suggest you do some reading and maybe look the word up in the dictionary.
tsgarp wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 am You have to understand, Rockie has been highly trained and possesses tremendous innate ability to speak with great confidence and authority on subjects about which he is wholly ignorant. The sad thing is, he actually thinks he’s as knowledgeable and intelligent as he thinks he is..
Irony, right? I'll make this my last post on the subject and get back to my knitting, and leave you guys to plot the course out of this pandemic.

We are in this situation because some government people thought they were smarter and didn't heed the advice of infectious disease experts back before Christmas when it would have made the most difference. Down in the US a 270 pound rancid piece of shit in a blue suit thinks he's smarter than everybody and has created an enormous shitshow that will continue to get much, much worse according to, you know...infectious disease experts. Watch what happens in the next 8 months. In Brazil a Trump mini-me is ignoring the virus altogether - watch that disaster unfold in real time too.

Now me not being the expert tsgarp claims I am I have to decide who to believe. On one hand there are public health and infectious disease experts who have spent a lifetime educating themselves, researching, and working in the field of infectious disease outbreaks. On the other hand there is you guys, who have received no education, spent zero time researching and zero time working in the field of infectious diseases. These scientists categorically reject herd immunity and other ideas put forth by you guys for easily googled reasons. But what do they know, right? They're not pilots.

Back to your "mean girls" play time boys.
---------- ADS -----------

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

MUSKEG wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:56 pm The generation of pilots that are at the bottom of the ladder will never see aviation as it was in 2019 in their lifetime. The younger generation is scared to death of damn near everything and that will keep enough of them
From flying. If we get back to 50 % in 10 years I’d be surprised. NINTY % of airliners are parked. Anyone need a 737 Max?? Airports will become so inhospitable to satisfy the demands of fearful people that it will make the experience not worth it.
An opinion filled with fear in its own right. Absolutely no facts supporting this. No one knows what will happen or how fast this will turn around, and using “never” is a testament to your limiting beliefs.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

tsgarp wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 am
You have to understand, Rockie has been highly trained and possesses tremendous innate ability to speak with great confidence and authority on subjects about which he is wholly ignorant. The sad thing is, he actually thinks he’s as knowledgeable and intelligent as he thinks he is..
Well, this is the guy who claims to be an A320 captain and was confidently adamant about the issues of using the ILS as a back-up(as suggested by me) on the RNAV visual into SFO and therefore he would not use it(discussed after the taxiway incident)….

viewtopic.php?p=1005461#p1005461

After the final report came out, I read the associated NTSB docket which had interviews with AC A320 check airmen and discovered that they were all using this feature as routine operation....

viewtopic.php?p=1054724#p1054724

You can judge the credibility yourself.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Oh man, I must haunt your every waking moment Pelmet.

Psst...I'm outside your window when you sleep.

Bwahahahah.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Rockie, I very rarely agree with you.....on this subject the norm is true.

Your friend who lost her mother, how old was she? what pre-existing conditions did she have, was she in a rest home? ad nauseum etc....... Right now the Medical professionals" are padding statistics. People who have symptoms that can be attributed to a myriad number of other causes are "COVID Deaths". But very few will speak(publicly) out on threat of losing their jobs.......

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

On the other hand there is you guys, who have received no education, spent zero time researching and zero time working in the field of infectious diseases.
Considering this is an anonymous forum and you don't know anyones background you should withdraw that statement. I personally have no background in infectious diseases but I know a few posters that are actual medical doctors in a past life that decided to be pilots. Why they made that decision still boggles my mind, and no I have not seen them weigh in on this topic.

I just have opinions and I base them off the information that I can gather, online and in real time. I can understand if you don't agree with the position I have formed and I'm not asking you to. I give a lot of credit to our medical professionals .. but I don't think they're always right. I think the testing is flawed and I think the numbers are fudged, my reasons for that are in my previous post.

I respect your right to agree to disagree.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Post Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 am

MUSKEG wrote: ↑
The generation of pilots that are at the bottom of the ladder will never see aviation as it was in 2019 in their lifetime. The younger generation is scared to death of damn near everything and that will keep enough of them
From flying. If we get back to 50 % in 10 years I’d be surprised. NINTY % of airliners are parked. Anyone need a 737 Max?? Airports will become so inhospitable to satisfy the demands of fearful people that it will make the experience not worth it.

RILEY
An opinion filled with fear in its own right. Absolutely no facts supporting this. No one knows what will happen or how fast this will turn around, and using “never” is a testament to your limiting beliefs.

I’m at the end of a long career and fear has been flattened by a life time of ups and downs. This is by far the biggest and deepest drop in the history of aviation. If I’m wrong hallelujah. Hundreds of friends can go back to work. I’d be the first to say I was wrong and glad I was. This is political and that’s the difference. You can’t fix stupid.
You know nothing of what I believe and what it’s taken to chisel those beliefs. But that’s ok. I’ve been wrong many times and right a time or two

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rigpiggy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:10 am Right now the Medical professionals" are padding statistics. People who have symptoms that can be attributed to a myriad number of other causes are "COVID Deaths". But very few will speak(publicly) out on threat of losing their jobs.......
Less than one minute after thinking to myself that there was no evidence of this, I read this.....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colora ... ath-counts

Sounds like some sort of an unorganized plot out there...

“Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, pushed back against recent coronavirus death counts, including those conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC], days after his own state’s health department acknowledged that its numbers had been inflated by including people who had the virus but died from other causes.

Colorado previously had reported 1,150 people died from COVID-19, but late Friday, officials changed that number to 878.“

LIBERATE

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

rigpiggy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:10 am ... Right now the Medical professionals" are padding statistics. People who have symptoms that can be attributed to a myriad number of other causes are "COVID Deaths". But very few will speak(publicly) out on threat of losing their jobs.......
NBC’s expert had Covid-19 according to his doctors even though he was being treated for a bacterial lung infection and he had a negative test for Covid-19 four times:

“ After visiting the emergency room, he was admitted to Tulane Medical Center because of a bacterial lung infection, which caused his shortness of breath. He received four tests for COVID-19, all of which were negative, but doctors told him that they had no doubt that's what he had.”

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I posted this weeks ago on this forum.

First hand info from my friends in healthcare that they are attaching as much as possible to Covid.

This is political. They need to justify what they've done.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 am
Irony, right? I'll make this my last post on the subject and get back to my knitting, and leave you guys to plot the course out of this pandemic.
Good plan.
...much worse according to, you know...infectious disease experts. Watch what happens in the next 8 months. In Brazil a Trump mini-me is ignoring the virus altogether - watch that disaster unfold in real time too.
Two items:
1). Not all infectious disease experts are in agreement here.
2). This situation has implications far outside the realm of medicine. The solution from a purely medical standpoint is for everyone to shelter in place until a vaccine is found. The solution from an economic standpoint is to ignore the virus and keep the economy going. Both solutions have serious consequences in the other problem space; hide at home and our kids and grand kids starve to death or wind up in a third world country working for Chinese overlords. Ignore the virus and a quite a few people die. The upshot is that any practical solution is going to piss off purists in both camps. Trump is electing to take casualties in order to preserve the economy. Trudeau is electing to sacrifice the economic future to save some lives. Neither one is right or wrong; they’ve just chosen where to direct the suffering.

I’m curious to see how Singapore made out. They kept the economy going but implemented targeted measures.

One last thought, there are epidemiologists who are saying herd immunity is the way to go. They just don’t get air time in Canada because their scientific position does not align with the policies of the current ruling party.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Just an interesting observation.
China has 17% of the world population yet only 1.7 % of reported infections.
So, how the f%^k did they manage to only have 1/10 of everyone else in a country that has massive cities with major population densities.
Some things are definitely not adding up.
I think world leaders are now starting to realize they f%&ked this up and will be doing anything now to recover economies.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm
Ok fair comment. However enlighten us on what “Scheer Nonsense, The Toole , Chopper MacKay” would do better if either was the sitting PM.
Honestly .. I'm not in favour of anyone currently running. I think the truly intelligent people steer clear of the political life which is why we are left with no good options in my opinion. If I could hit the rewind button we'd go back to the Harper days .. I realize all the names you mentioned were his MP's .. but he could lead and he was intelligent. (I'd vote for John Baird if he ran)
My neighbor just lost her mother to the virus, you would have a hard time convincing her and the millions of others around the world that governments overreacted.
A family friend passed on during this pandemic and his death was labeled as "Covid-19" even though he'd been inching his way out the door for months before this virus even hit, and he didn't even test positive, pneumonia was enough to call it Covid-19? It left us all scratching our heads. I feel sorry for your neighbours mother, just like I feel sorry for all the others that have lost the battle with this virus. Please don't confuse me for a heartless bastard, the point I'm making is that we didn't need to shutdown the world. Isolate the vulnerable and keep the world turning. Sweden kept the open sign on and their numbers are no different than any other country that closed.

It doesn't matter now anyways .. what's done is done and we'll live with the consequences of those decisions.
Hey man(no gender bias implied because I don’t know your real name). On the politics side, Harper you say,again fair commentary and more important, your political view. Not mine though because I am trying to find a particular legacy Harper can sign on as compared to other long term PMs of note PET, BM, JC even going back to John Dief, Lester Boles Pearson( my all time best PM) .I even remember him as I was around then. Bear with me cause I was a political science major in university and had a flair for political argument - still do 😉.

On the COVID-19 debate, I personally note a slight fanaticism amongst the health care sector as of late which I was hoping to see pragmatism, perhaps I am seeing it as an off side view. At some point the economy is going to have to get back to work, I think we are near that point now. Cheers mate.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

3down&loct wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:48 pm Just an interesting observation.
So, how the f%^k did they manage to only have 1/10 of everyone else in a country that has massive cities with major population densities.
I think world leaders are now starting to realize they f%&ked this up and will be doing anything now to recover economies.

Because they’re smart enough not to let their own weapon destroy them.

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

They also reported zero deaths in Tiananmen square in 1989.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Nobody believes the numbers coming out of China - they have lied and covered up the seriousness of COVID-19 from the beginning.

Same with the WHO.

Both need to be held to account imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is a terrible disease badly handled from the beginning, but we went with information available at the time. Once the vaccine comes, the deniers can go back under their rocks. I just happen to be somebody that is not comfortable killing people unnecessarily, even old coots - and young ones - I disagree with half the time.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Ayseven,
Quit with the emotional appeals to justify your position on the quarantine. You may have already “killed people unnecessarily “.Bacteria live everywhere. Clothes, hair, hands, etc. At one time, you may have passsed bacteria to an elderly person that morphed into the flu, Norwalk, a cold and then pneumonia. People have been dying of this since people have existed. Bacteria is everywhere. We all carry some, and we all pass to others. Stop with the emotional rhetoric, of “killing unnecessarily “ and the PM’s favourite “ Saving lives”. We are NOT saving lives, we are only delaying the inevitable.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

This will be an opportunity for smaller airlines to grow and fill the void as the middle class repairs the economy in the following years. Sched companies like Flair will grow and provide low cost option to get travelers and businessman and women moving again. It will dilut the cost of airline tickets.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

This is probably a waste of electrons in this forum, but here goes.

A medically-informed response to the virus is the only long term solution, but when implementing it creates economic chaos that’s worse than the virus, the answer is not to condemn some people to die from a preventable illness so that others don’t die of the manufactured poverty that we celebrate as “capitalism”. You must change that economic system into one that rewards work, not wealth.

Return to “General Comments”