The Avcanada COVID Employment Poll

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What are the consequences of COVID on your pilot employment?

I am still employed at my current job and do not expect a layoff
45%
I am laid off, or expected to be laid off, and found a new pilot job
6%
I am laid off, or expected to be laid off, and found a new temporary non-pilot job. I hope to find a pilot job again ASAP
4%
I am laid off, or expected to be laid off, and found a new non-pilot job. I do not hope to return to a pilot job
2%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off. I expect to return to my previous pilot job
18%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off, do not expect to return and have not found a new job yet. I hope to find a pilot job.
6%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off, do not expect to return and have not found a new job yet. I hope to find a temporary non-pilot job and return to a pilot job ASAP
5%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off, do not expect to return and have not found a new job yet. I hope to find a permanent non-pilot job. I don't plan to ever return to a pilot job
3%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off, do not expect to return to my previous pilot job, and I am not looking for a new job yet
1%
I am laid off, or expect to be laid off, and will be leaving the work force (e.g. retirement)
No votes
I am not a pilot but I need an option to pick, as my slight OCD compulsions do not allow me to leave a poll unanswered
10%

Total votes: 249

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The Avcanada COVID Employment Poll

Post by Ash Ketchum »

ayseven wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:52 pm For Ash Ketchum: go to Grad School anyways. You can always go back flying if you really want to. I always wonder what would have been had I gone back after grad school, but alas, I did just fine out of aviation, and 1000% certain that I made more money than I would have in aviation. YMMV, obviously, but aviation always had me one step away from the poorhouse.
Thanks for the advice. The Mba program I intend on going to is one of the best in Canada however I would need to take out a big student loan and wouldn't be able to afford the pay cut to go back to flying later on. I guess I could always buy my own plane down the road and fly for fun...
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: The Avcanada COVID Employment Poll

Post by valleyboy »

If you are on furlough you have a seniority number and depending on your contract and union there is a time limit for that. Hopefully your union is proactive to negotiate an extension if that clause exists. It's possible to give yourself a educated guess at a time line for progression. It looks like covid is a major fact of life until such time there is a vaccine so there will be no growth in present day crew levels and a possibility of roll backs depending on the severity of the 2nd wave.

My point is that most of us strive for the "money" seat and the biggest iron available so that in the last few years of our career we make that nest egg. I can foresee that pilots laid off at this time may never find that seat before they retire. I guess it all comes down to the math and what you want to achieve. If that masters degree gives you that and if it guarantees you a good paying job and career it likely is a better choice. I doubt if you will get a recall before you finish your degree but a recall is always in your back pocket and you can make a choice or even defer( depending on your contract)

To me it's a no brainer, education, and yes when your are established that successful career buying that fun aircraft will always be there as well.

Best of luck in the choice you make.
---------- ADS -----------

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca

Return to “General Comments”