How to certify an electronic logbook?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

How to certify an electronic logbook?

Post by L1900Edge »

I have decided to get with the times, and try digital logbooks. I'm thinking either MCC, or logtenpro. How would I go about getting my previous logged time certified? From flight schools and past employers?
Would I haveto email them a copy in the hope of them signing it digitally?
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: How to certify an electronic logbook?

Post by digits_ »

Ask the person that requires the certification. It is not a TC requirement. You can always print it out and sign it yourself.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

digits_ wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:33 pm Ask the person that requires the certification. It is not a TC requirement. You can always print it out and sign it yourself.
I always wondered... In the paper logbooks, you have space to sign every pages to “certify” everything is accurate. Is it actually a requirement?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by L1900Edge »

digits_ wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:33 pm Ask the person that requires the certification. It is not a TC requirement. You can always print it out and sign it yourself.
I'm asking because if a future employer requires it "certified" when I apply...

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Print it out and get the required parties to sign.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

jpilot77 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:14 pm Print it out and get the required parties to sign.
Yup, what they said.

The respective people will stamp and sign something along the lines of "all flights in C-XXXX, C-XXXX, and C-XXXX are correct and true"

And they'll sign next to it. This is just an example, doesn't have to follow that format.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Do (small) companies actually take the time to check that every single flight in logged correctly? Especially if journey logs are done per leg and the logbook is filled out with one line per day (assuming no plane or crew changes)? It seems like a waste of time since it is not required by anyone except future employers...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

TailwheelPilot wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 pm Do (small) companies actually take the time to check that every single flight in logged correctly? Especially if journey logs are done per leg and the logbook is filled out with one line per day (assuming no plane or crew changes)? It seems like a waste of time since it is not required by anyone except future employers...
No, but Air Canada, Jazz, and Encore are all asking for certified logbooks now. AC wants (or wanted) every single employer to have signed off on the hours. Do it now...it sucks trying to go back 10 years and get signatures. Mind you nobody knows where AC will move the goal post to next so roll the dice...

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Print, Sign, Done

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I surprised that these electronic logbook developers don't have provision for electronic signatures, adobe acrobat has this so the tech is out there. Most companies now accept electronic signatures. Add the ability to print either electronically in PDF or for the dinosaurs hard copy as well. Anything less in the electronic logbook applications or programs is not worth the money spent.

Any developers out there get your ass in gear, there is money to be made.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Most Chief Flight Instructors can tell one end of a ball-point pen from the other (and I stress *most*). I'm not sure how many could cope with the public key infrastructure necessary to do any kind of digital signature.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

photofly wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 pm Most Chief Flight Instructors can tell one end of a ball-point pen from the other (and I stress *most*). I'm not sure how many could cope with the public key infrastructure necessary to do any kind of digital signature.
...said the chief flight instructor :lol:

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

This is why you keep both paper and digital copies. Paper to get signed and store on a bookshelf somewhere until it's needed, digital to use daily and automatically warn you of validity periods expiring.

Return to “General Comments”